Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strawbs 50th!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strawbs 50th!
    Posted: October 01 2018 at 11:04
The details are still unfolding but we know the dates and a few of the exciting details.  More here
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 00:10
I believe they are not coming to Finland, but if they will really like to see them!
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 22:32
Small chance they would come to the Pacific Northwest, but it would be great to see them if they did. A DVD and album will most likely come of this. Very exciting.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 23:54
I'm pleased for our American cousins that the event is being hosted there. However, would be great if they could have a UK event like Strawberry Fayre at some point that year.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 11:09
Among the guests confirmed are Annie Haslam and Rick Wakeman.
They will perform the classic album "Grave New World" in its entirety.
Tony Visconti will conduct an orchestra that will accompany the band for one of the performances
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 15:03
Wow, that would be quite a wonderful weekend.  Not a chance in heck I can get to the east coast, however.  Hopefully someone from here will, and will give all of the details.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 18:53
[QUOTE=Snicolette]Wow, that would be quite a wonderful weekend.  Not a chance in heck I can get to the east coast, however.  Hopefully someone from here will, and will give all of the details.[/QUOTI
ll be there with 2 friends, one of whom is coming from Spain!
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 19:04
Lucky you!  You must report on it...I imagine there will be a presentation of it available at some point thereafter, so we'll be able to enjoy it after the fact.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 20:35
Hi,

I hope that it comes off great ... and that it gets a video so we can see this ... 

Ohhhh, don't allow that Canadian band to open for Strawbs!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 21:51
Long live the Strawbs!! Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 21:59
I'm kind of a late bloomer for the Strawbs but i literally just picked up their BURSTING AT THE SEAMS album which i'm so far not so fond of. Now albums like FROM THE WITCHWOOD are just pure magic. Slowly filling in the gaps. So far hit and miss.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 09:44
Bursting at the Seams is not as proggy, but, as a crossover album with the folk base still pretty obvious, it's magic. 3 lead vocalists and 4 songwriters, tremendous variety
weezlcheez View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weezlcheez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 11:24
Don't be so sure. The last time they got together again, they came to Pittsburgh PA. They were joined by Van Der Graaf Generator. I never thought I would see either of those banks in my lifetime but, I saw them both at the same time on the same stage.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 15:25
Actually upon second listen, Bursting At The Seams is excellent.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 21:02
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Actually upon second listen, Bursting At The Seams is excellent.

Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 11:14
Sadly, due to family health issues, Rick Wakeman won't be at the 50th.  Still, with Blue Weaver, John Hawken, and Dave Bainbridge, along with Larry Fast, they are pretty well stocked!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 12:21
Have a good time, Lohtûr.

Hoping for a cd release fairly quickly after the event.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 10:02
Here are all the performances...less than 3 weeks away

The VIP tickets are sold out but there are still one day and two day passes available

The legendary Tony Visconti, who produced several early Strawbs albums as well as classics by David Bowie, gentle Giant and T-Rex, will be conducting an orchestra that will accompany Strawbs songs on Friday night, will be doing a Q&A at a nearby University on Saturday morning.  That's an additional $25

Post Reply Post Reply