Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Popular Prog Bands by Country Currently?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Popular Prog Bands by Country Currently?
    Posted: October 05 2018 at 12:03
If you had to guess which are the most popular prog bands today by country (concert attendance primarily but also sales and general reputation if you like) which bands would you put on such a list?

I'd be curious to see a breakdown by country or even by region some cases.

I was also thinking about which prog bands besides the well known British and North American bands can actually tour a decent outside their own borders i.e. not just for prog festivals.

For example, can any French band besides Magma or Gong manage a real tour outside France or a band besides PFM outside Italy?

Can any Japanese prog band tour abroad etc?

Thanks!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 13:28
Magma toured the USA recently and Gong are planning a tour. Steve Wilson tours the USA regularly and I'm seeing Nik Bartsch Ronin for the third time in the USA soon. Leprous and Haken are currently touring the USA.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
tribalfusions View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 15:35
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Magma toured the USA recently and Gong are planning a tour. Steve Wilson tours the USA regularly and I'm seeing Nik Bartsch Ronin for the third time in the USA soon. Leprous and Haken are currently touring the USA.

Ronin falls under jazz and fusion for me (and most people I know; I have seen them too)  and so they tour in that manner.  Gong and Magma were examples of bands who can pull it off like I mentioned. and other than them and perhaps PFM I am having trouble thinking of bands from continental Europe who can tour outside their home countries per se. I don't think any Japanese prog bands are doing much outside Japan but I'd love to hear the contrary.

Can you think of any others? Wilson for the purposes of this example is almost more like Yes or Crimson than he is the other prog artists of his age or younger and definitely one of the very biggest.

I suppose it might make sense to include prog metal given the scarcity of more recognizable prog names these days.

Cheers!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 13:59
IF you're talking popularity and concert attendance, you probably have to go with older, well-established bands. I bet Yes, Genesis, Kansas, Rush, Los Jaivas, Riverside, and PFM would draw more concertgoers and album sales than Big Big Train, Bent Knee, Mystery, Hominído, Votum, or La Coscienza di Zeno would, though the more recent output of these latter bands might be of higher quality than those of the former.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 16:24
I'd imagine Opeth is probably the biggest prog band from Sweden, or possibly Meshuggah.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 16:41
Originally posted by tribalfusions tribalfusions wrote:

For example, can any French band besides Magma or Gong manage a real tour outside France or a band besides PFM outside Italy?

Goblin has mounted multiple tours in the States in recent years since their comeback. There are more dates booked this year already.

I don't think PFM could do the same. They'd have to play a festival or perhaps just play several major cities like Los Angeles and NYC.

So, popularity-wise, thanks to their connection to giallo and horror, I think Goblin is Italy's best prog representative today.
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 20:20

If you had to guess which are the most popular prog bands today by country (concert attendance primarily but also sales and general reputation if you like) which bands would you put on such a list?

I'd be curious to see a breakdown by country or even by region some cases.

I was also thinking about which prog bands besides the well known British and North American bands can actually tour a decent outside their own borders i.e. not just for prog festivals.

Can any Japanese prog band tour abroad etc?

Thanks!
I think it's hard to say with any certainty for Australia - our "prog rock" scene is so fragmented across multiple states and dominated at moment by Djent/alt metal bands that nonetheless have the "prog rock" label slapped on them. That's the impression I have anyway, based on general visibility, tours and the lineups at the "ProgFests" (which have only been held in the Eastern states in recent years).

In terms of current profile and sales etc, I'd nominate: Karnivool, they have very effectively ridden the Triple J tiger for a long time (a national ABC radio network that is the main avenue for independent Aussie music but not known for it's friendliness toward prog).

In terms of general reputation over an extended time, Spectrum might get the gong? Based I think on Mike Rudd and co. doing the hard grind in the early '70's travelling the nation and performing their jammy/head music songs at rock festivals in various states. I've found a level of name recognition here in Adelaide with people in their late 50's onward that surprises me, considering that their presence on mainstream radio has for as long as I can remember been limited to 1 occasionally played song. Having a hit single very early on (the bluesy "I'll be gone") would help too, as perhaps would having had their first and second albums reissued beautifully by Aztec and so available again in recent years. Mike Rudd does still has an active lineup of Spectrum, mostly doing gigs around Melbourne (as it seems to me).

Some of the current crop of heavy Aussie bands have done overseas tours but not sure how many (if any) bands or artists would or could attempt a headline tour. The bands Unitopia (defunct) and Southern Empire (very much alive) would have a profile that I suspect would fit well into overseas rock festivals and (imho) deserve a place there too, based on the quality of their music and their live performance. The cohort of djenty/alt-metal oriented bands here in Oz would probably do equally well at overseas metal festivals too, at a guess...

Edited by David64T - October 18 2018 at 20:36
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 21:06
France: Magma, Ange, Mona Lisa
Italy: PFM, Banco, Le Orme , Goblin, New Trolls(?), not sure about any newer bands
Canada: Saga, FM, 
Spain: ?
Germany: Amon Duul 2, Eloy, Faust, Popul Vuh, Triumvirat
Sweden: Mostly just the prog metal bands. Maybe Anglagard and Anekdoten too.
Netherlands: Focus, Supersister, Kayak
Mexico: ? (maybe Cast or Cabezas Di Cera)

I actually don't think there are many in South America, Mexico or Japan. I don't have much information that would suggest many lesser known bands sell much either. Some of them played at festivals such as prog day, Nearfest, Progfest and Baja prog. Typically festivals are the best bet for most bands who are not house hold names in the prog world. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 19 2018 at 06:39
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 01:17
Poland: SBB (the 70s), Riverside (modern)
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 12:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

As much as I feel they should cease activity, the current incarnation of Tangerine Dream could easily do a limited tour of major cities in the States: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia and Boston.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 13:02
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

As much as I feel they should cease activity, the current incarnation of Tangerine Dream could easily do a limited tour of major cities in the States: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia and Boston.

Yep, forgot about them for some reason. I agree though. There's no link between the current lineup and the classic lineup at all. Forget about original members. There's not even one current TD member who was even there in the 90's. Time to call the band something else imo.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 19 2018 at 13:09
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 13:56

Yep, forgot about them for some reason. I agree though. There's no link between the current lineup and the classic lineup at all. Forget about original members. There's not even one current TD member who was even there in the 90's. Time to call the band something else imo.

It's sad. I guess they're continuing with Edgar's and Bianca's blessing, but still...maybe they could call themselves Zeit or something. 

Speaking of former members, Peter Baumann spent some time in Paul Haslinger's studio a while back. Not sure what they did, since there's been no further news. Peter's new solo album was great, though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 21:41
^Actually, I don't believe they did have Edgar's blessing. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 01:18
USA - TSO are massive and probably outsell anyone else concert wise.

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 07:54

I don't think any Japanese prog bands are doing much outside Japan but I'd love to hear the contrary.

Electric Asturias from Japan have been appearing regularly at festivals. I saw them on Cruise to the Edge 2014, and they've been on a few other cruises since then.  I think they also did Rosfest. But as the OP pointed out, a festival appearance is not a "tour".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 09:50
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Soft Machine toured recently too I think.
USAGirl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 10:18
Not really prog, though some of her music is in the jazz-rock category: Barbara Dennerlein. She tours all over Europe and America and occasionally in Asia too. Her music is mostly jazz though.
Peace on Earth
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 10:31
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

IF you're talking popularity and concert attendance, you probably have to go with older, well-established bands. I bet Yes, Genesis, Kansas, Rush, Los Jaivas, Riverside, and PFM would draw more concertgoers and album sales than Big Big Train, Bent Knee, Mystery, Hominído, Votum, or La Coscienza di Zeno would, though the more recent output of these latter bands might be of higher quality than those of the former.

I think you're correct regarding the greater popularity of older bands for a lot of the more significant prog nations like the US, UK or France. For some other countries though it will look different i.e.Opeth for Sweden or Ayreon for the Netherlands perhaps which is not the kind of 'old' most people would be thinking of even if it isn't totally new either.

I wasn't expecting Los Jaivas to be cited there and although their touring is almost entirely within Chile's borders, I guess they are a good candidate within Chile itself.

I'm definitely more interested in bands which can tour outside their own borders for the purposes of this thread barring some unusual circumstances or perhaps the absence of any bands from the country being able to tour so picking the next best thing etc.

For example, I don't think any Japanese band tours outside Japan (I don't mean festival one offs) so it's better to use domestic criteria regarding popularity (# of shows and venue sizes, record sales etc) to have some idea.

Edited by tribalfusions - October 20 2018 at 10:33
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 10:34
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I'd imagine Opeth is probably the biggest prog band from Sweden, or possibly Meshuggah.

That was definitely my thinking too regarding Sweden from the numbers I have seen from Opeth and Meshuggah. They would be 2 of the biggest from any country from the last 25 years in fact.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 10:50

Goblin has mounted multiple tours in the States in recent years since their comeback. There are more dates booked this year already.

I don't think PFM could do the same. They'd have to play a festival or perhaps just play several major cities like Los Angeles and NYC.

So, popularity-wise, thanks to their connection to giallo and horror, I think Goblin is Italy's best prog representative today.

Actually PFM are a lot bigger than you realize. They played a 2700 capacity theater in Mexico City, 2500 capacity in Buenos Aires, an 8000 capacity venue in Sao Paolo, a 1400 capacity theater in Rome, 2500 in Padua and the 700 capacity Highline Ballroom in NY among other spots just recently.

They actually are a candidate for biggest non-English language group in the world for prog.

Goblin can't do those numbers in most of those territories though I agree they are riding a wave of retro interest in giallo movies in the US in particular along with a few other spots and deserve a mention too (I confess I never really thought of Goblin as all that prog either though they fit the broad definition in use here). Goblin don't tour South America unlike PFM who are genuinely big there but on the other hand Goblin have better numbers for North America where I think they are viewed as a gimmick band essentially.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>