Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Giant versus Gnidrolog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gentle Giant versus Gnidrolog
    Posted: October 05 2018 at 13:31
HI
Gnidrolog 
first album is super-underated... what is your opinion?

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 14:52
GG......but Gnirdrolog did two nice albums back in the old days.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Gulliver View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 15:02
Gnidrolog take influences of GGIANT? 
I think that not...mere coincidence...
I like more GNIDROLOG thought ,,,,
Someone know bands  with GNIDROLOG sound?
There was two german bands similar to GNIDROLOG  but  forget your names....
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 17:36
Gnidrolog? That band where the guy sings with a pineapple stuck up his ass?

GG all the way!
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 00:39
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

Gnidrolog? That band where the guy sings with a pineapple stuck up his ass?

GG all the way!

Is the pineapple inserted vertically or sideways?!
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 06:19
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

GG......but Gnirdrolog did two nice albums back in the old days.

I agree !!!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 08:08
Gentle Giant, no question. It does not mean that Gnirdrolog are not good, indeed, they are a really good band, but Gentle Giant are quite ahead of them.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 07:25
I like Gnidrolog not or hardly less than Gentle Giant. There is some similarity between those bands. I'd place Gnidrolog near the center of the eclectic triangle Gentle Giant - Van der Graaf Generator - Jethro Tull. Harry's Toenail was a good debut (4+/5 in my book), Lady Lake a masterpiece on par with Gentle Giant's best albums.

Edited by someone_else - October 07 2018 at 07:25
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 03:16
Gentle Giant > most bands I can think of.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 04:02
Gnidrolog was a nice band but not in same league as Giant, IMO.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 06:38
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I like Gnidrolog not or hardly less than Gentle Giant. There is some similarity between those bands. I'd place Gnidrolog near the center of the eclectic triangle Gentle Giant - Van der Graaf Generator - Jethro Tull. Harry's Toenail was a good debut (4+/5 in my book), Lady Lake a masterpiece on par with Gentle Giant's best albums.

I had to wait 10 posts to see VdGG mentioned as the other end of Gni's influences.
Toenail is quite hard to get into, but LL is definitely easier, but ultimately both are excellent

Please also pay attention to their posthumous Live 72 with plenty of unheard elsewhere tracks

However forget the 00's comeback album... Outside the opening track (great), the rest is dreck.
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 06:44
I Think they´re wholly different types of band.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 11:40
I have to confess that I've never listened to Gnidrolog

If they're anywhere near Gentle Giant and VdGG then they'll definitely be worth checking out

That's why I love this site!
Songs cast a light on you
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 13:48
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I had to wait 10 posts to see VdGG mentioned as the other end of Gni's influences.
Toenail is quite hard to get into, but LL is definitely easier, but ultimately both are excellent

Please also pay attention to their posthumous Live 72 with plenty of unheard elsewhere tracks
thanks - perfect post!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 16:06
I love both the Gnidrolog lps (and have originals of both which seem to fetch unbelievable prices on Ebay!) but have never really understood the supposed connection or 'similarity' between the two bands. Likewise I think they have more in common with VDGG tho' are fairly unique in their sound. As for Gentle Giant, obviously they have a much much larger and more diverse catalogue (much of which I adore) but have also had to try and adapt to the zeitgeist and the length of time through which they existed so, perhaps inevitably, produced a few stinkers.. I suppose that applies to most of the major bands referenced here.. maybe its better to produce one or two jewels then disappear?

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 16:12
What i like about Gnidrolog is that they sound so raw and never uses synth, they are very gritty, raw and "ugly" sounding in a beutifull way. Like Space Shanty of Khan and Arzachel.
Gulliver View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 17:46
to Cosmiclawnmower :
Yes.yes... I think that GNIDROLOD is closer to Vand derGenerator really (truly) if you think 
meticulously
Hamill influence is very very obvious in the vocal but the vocalist is more powerful  than Hammill sometimes
and even superior sometimes. Very theatrical sometimes (only conection GG )but bitter and anger sometimes
shocking music ! maybe the most great discover lost gem  all 70s times in my life!
wow......someone have date issue ...72 but what month...

Third Gentle Giant album 72 and VGG Paw Hearts 71.

SUPPOSEDLY if GG influence is true its influence is limited or almost impossible

to sean tranne:
i will check live album later i taste slowly the music 
i think live album includes unhearseld low fi material

Post Reply Post Reply