FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Qatsi trilogy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Qatsi trilogy
    Posted: October 06 2018 at 01:15

The Qatsi trilogy is three awesome visual experiences set to the music of Philip Glass. The first movie, Koyaanisqatsi (1982), is a cult classic that has even been parodied by The Simpsons. Koyaanisqatsi was followed by Powaqqatsi (1988) and eventually Naqoyqatsi (2002). Whereas Koyaanisqatsi is set in America, Powaqqatsi is set in the developing world, but is otherwise visually fairly similar. By contrast, Naqoyqatsi is set in the virtual world and is visually very distinct. It is said that Naqoyqatsi had to wait for the technology used to create it to catch up.

Accompanying the three movies are three CDs containing most of the music of the movies, although the CD version of the various tracks are slightly different not just in length.

This thread is about the music, either from the CDs or the movies themselves (on DVD). What are your favourite music tracks from the Quatsi trilogy?

My favourite movie of the trilogy is Koyaanisqatsi. However, my favourite music from the trilogy is Caught! from Powaqqatsi. This also corresponds to my favourite part of that movie. My favourite music from Koyaanisqatsi is Pruit Igoe although this does not correspond to my favourite part of that movie. The Grid corresponds to the most exciting part of Koyaanisqatsi, but as a stand-alone piece of music, it is somewhat monotonous, but fitting as a backdrop to the visuals. My favourite music from Naqoyqatsi is Primacy of Number, and it is also my favourite part of that movie.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - October 06 2018 at 01:19
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply