Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Earliest born prog musician?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nevertoomuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Earliest born prog musician?
    Posted: October 06 2018 at 06:24
The earliest I have found is Hans-Joachim Roedelius of Cluster, born 1934. Anyone know of any prog musicians that were born earlier than that? It seems like the majority of the most prominent prog musicians were born in the mid-to-late 40s.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 07:20
I am not certain if you can call Julius Schittenhelm a prog musician. he was a singer and songwriter and also played acoustic guitar. he made a solo album with the German band Embryo as backing band called "Rundschlag", which is his prog relation. he was also sound engineer for albums of Guru Guru (UFO), Floh de Cologne (Profitgeier), Amon Düül (Paradieswärts Düül) and Embryo (Opal). Schittenhelm was born 1926 and died 2012

Edited by BaldJean - October 06 2018 at 07:29

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
nevertoomuch View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nevertoomuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 07:40
Yeah, I know of a few cases like that. Mal Waldron (born 1925) played with Embryo, Pierre Henry (born 1927) collaborated with Spooky Tooth on 'Ceremony' a prog album from 1969, you even have Timothy Leary (born 1920) who collaborated with Ash Ra Tempel in the early 70s, though he presumably wasn't involved with the musical aspect. As an extreme example, you have Jean Dubuffet (born 1901) creating the cover art for Jasun Martz's 'The Pillory' in 1978! 

However, I'm more interested in full-fledged prog musicians who actually composed prog music and were heavily involved in the prog scene. You can find a lot of weird examples of avant-garde and jazz musicians dipping their toes in when prog was big in the 70s but full-fledged prog musicians seem to have almost exclusively been people under the age of 30 (with exceptions like Roedelius, which is what I'm looking for) when it was in its heyday.

Ooh, I missed the part about him being a sound engineer for those krautrock albums, that's pretty interesting! I guess sound engineers/producers would be interesting to hear about too, though I'm mainly interested in musicians.

Edited by nevertoomuch - October 06 2018 at 07:42
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 08:11
The drummer for Spirit was older than most everyone else, forget his name and don't know his age, I just recall him being from a previous generation.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nevertoomuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 08:16
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

The drummer for Spirit was older than most everyone else, forget his name and don't know his age, I just recall him being from a previous generation.

Ah yes, Ed Cassidy, how could I forget? It's debatable whether or not Spirit is prog but his drumming style that mixed jazz and psychedelic rock was pretty ahead of its time. Still, to my knowledge, he didn't compose any of Spirit's stuff.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 08:17
Originally posted by nevertoomuch nevertoomuch wrote:

I'm more interested in full-fledged prog musicians who actually composed prog music and were heavily involved in the prog scene. You can find a lot of weird examples of avant-garde and jazz musicians dipping their toes in when prog was big in the 70s but full-fledged prog musicians seem to have almost exclusively been people under the age of 30 (with exceptions like Roedelius, which is what I'm looking for) when it was in its heyday.

Ooh, I missed the part about him being a sound engineer for those krautrock albums, that's pretty interesting! I guess sound engineers/producers would be interesting to hear about too, though I'm mainly interested in musicians.

I think you are right. Most of the full-fledged prog artists were quite young during the late 60s-early 70s, when prog scene was quite popular. There were other great musicians who were composing great music that's not considered "prog', like Master Robert Heningam, whom I knew personally, whose music (he is considered a classic composer) was quite outstanding and expressed his appreciation for the progressive music of that era, but I guess that not what you are looking for.

Edited by Manuel - October 06 2018 at 08:18
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 08:24
Ed Cassidy was born in 1923 and he did indeed co-write many songs with Randy California.
PROGMATIC
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nevertoomuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 08:29
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Ed Cassidy was born in 1923 and he did indeed co-write many songs with Randy California.

Well there you go, I didn't know he wrote anything for them. Cheers.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nevertoomuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 08:31
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

There were other great musicians who were composing great music that's not considered "prog', like Master Robert Heningam, whom I knew personally, whose music (he is considered a classic composer) was quite outstanding and expressed his appreciation for the progressive music of that era, but I guess that not what you are looking for.

Well it's not what the thread was intended to be about but I definitely find stuff like this interesting, i.e. people from before the Baby Boomers appreciating progressive music (or modern music in general). 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 15:37
In terms of major artists listed on the site, the award for the earliest born has to go to Miles Davis, surely? Born in 1926, bless him.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 17:04
Papa John Creach (Jefferson Airplane) was born in 1917. But I raise a yet higher bid in terms of ancientry, from the RPI realm: Charles Tiring of Jacula fame was born in 1903.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 18:52
Ulrich Sommerlatte from Ivory was born in 1914
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 21:28
Gilli Smith from Gong was born in June of 1933. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 06 2018 at 21:28
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 07:58
Jacula for the win!!! Charles Tiring was born in 1903???
(I was just listening to Tardo Pede In Magiam Versus!!!)
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 17:15
I never learned math, and only judge by my eyes, so Steve Howe.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 17:35
Gronk the Neanderthal, who stretched an animal skin over a wood hoop and began to bang on the contraption with a stick whilst playing a bone nose flute. His conservative fellow-tribesmen kicked him out of the cave, and prog was born.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 16:08
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Gronk the Neanderthal, who stretched an animal skin over a wood hoop and began to bang on the contraption with a stick whilst playing a bone nose flute. His conservative fellow-tribesmen kicked him out of the cave, and prog was born.

Has this Gronk already been included in the Krautrock subgenre?
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 18:49
Gronk the Neanderthal and his band were killed off when the Homo Sapiens appeared on the scene, who were Punks.

Edited by ReactioninG - October 21 2018 at 18:50
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 06:02
This only counts if Gronk was playing in 17/8 time. 

Post Reply Post Reply