1 [1.69%]
1 [1.69%]
1 [1.69%]
2 [3.39%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Tangerine Dream Album
    Posted: October 06 2018 at 17:06
Lately I've been rediscovering Tangerine Dream by listening to some of their classics such as Zeit, Ricochet, even the much maligned Cyclone (which btw I believe is a very good album). Which one's your favourite?
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 17:37
A real soft spot for Ricochet - seeing that Coventry Cathedral concert on the TV all those years ago made a big impression on me - even though I am still no means a Tangerine Dream fanatic.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 18:56
it's still Force Majeure of the dozen or so I've heard
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 19:56
"Rubycon" evokes the most mental pictures in me

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 20:22
I really cannot choose. Too many great albums and great listening experiences with TD.

Edited by Manuel - October 06 2018 at 20:22
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 20:45
Their earlier albums were the most original. Rubycon for me defines not only their ultimate sound, but the possibilities that this kind of music presents.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 01:12
Encore. Of the choices, Alpha Centuri 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 02:24
Very hard to say. I'm going with Zeit but I have really enjoyed some of the last stuff, too. The sessions II is a great album, IMO
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 07:13
Ricochet > Rubycon > Cyclone = Stratosfear > α Cen
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 11:01
Ricochet is the best overall, although Cyclone is a close #2 (for me) because of one track: Madrigal Meridian. I love the (synth) violin and drumming.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 11:22
As an avid listener of the music of Tangerine Dream for roughly 35 years, such polls never cease to present a conundrum for me. There is so much goodness in TD's discography up to a point, they blazed so many trails other continue to follow, that to even contemplate picking a single favorite album is simply doing them an injustice. For many years Stratosfear, Force Majeure, Exit, Poland and Underwater Sunlight have been my "favorites" (plural), interchangeably, depending on the mood and season. 

But then you've got the equally immense Rubycon, Underwater Sunlight, and yes, even the "lost" album Green Desert (which some argue Edgar retrieved and "finished", but it doesn't matter), all of which bear the same landmark stamp for carving new vistas in progressive electronic music. 

Tangerine Dream is just one of the most important prog bands out there. Yes, they took a severe detour into questionable realms in the '90s, and eventually made a comeback halfway through the mid-2000's (and did some nice stuff again, like Views From A Red Train), but the good far, far outweighs the bad and their detractors can't change that.

P.S. I cast a vote for Exit, because it's rather underrated and doesn't get a lot of love in polls. Worth the price of admission for "Pilots of Purple Twilight," the ominous title track, and the endearing "Remote Viewing" (one of the best ambient pieces ever recorded).
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 13:34
Tangerine Dream were a major discovery when I got into prog music, were one of my favourite bands for many years, and had a strong influence on my taste and concept of music and what it can do. They lost a place in the very top spots in the meantime (a number of their albums started to bore me after some time) but they still have a few albums that I love to pieces. Rubycon  and Tangram have survived as favourites from my early days with them; Cyclone has caught up quite a bit and I'd know rank it fourth in their catalogue, but the no. 1 spot goes to an album that I have only really learnt to appreciate in the last 10 years or so, which is the amazing, dark and totally unique Zeit.

Edited by Lewian - October 08 2018 at 09:49
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 16:14
I am a big fan of another not listed: Poland.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 17:46
jeeze.. what a list of great albums... and somewhat like asking which are better, redheads, blonds or bruneettes...

love them all but going with the redhead of the group for me... Phaedra 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 17:57
Zeit. No album terrifies me in the way that one does.
The most dangerous man in America.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 18:35
Cyclone
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 05:19
I can go eenie meenie miny moe between 5 of them but recently I have fallen under the spell of Atem, John Peel’s sweetheart. Just something about it that really speaks to me.

Just an fyi: TD fans who haven’t yet checked out the recent Official Bootleg Series should get on it asap. To me it was like finding a new Ricochet as well as a more exciting Stratosfear.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 05:32
Zeit and the title track Phaedra are really out of this world. But Ricochet is the one I listen the most. I'll check the bootleg series, David. Maybe a link ?
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 05:32
I don't know; Alpha Centauri, Zeit, Atem, Phaedra, Rubycon, Stratosfear and Green Desert have all been my TD-favorite at some point... maybe Phaedra these days.

If it were my own poll: Encore, Sorcerer and Exit would be included instead of White Eagle, Underwater Sunlight and Tangram....
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 05:38
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Zeit and the title track Phaedra are really out of this world. But Ricochet is the one I listen the most. I'll check the bootleg series, David. Maybe a link ?

Sure thing Pierre
My guess is that you already know these from Youtube but I must admit that I was positively surprised to find the quality of these recording to be brilliant. My cd version certainly trumps the Youtube clips.
Reims: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bLG6A_NXIzU
Mannheim: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwkQyCZispI
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>