Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson: Discipline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 03:44
Fantastic album from a very weird era in prog rock. Discipline is in my top three KC records for sure. It might be my favorite to share with non-prog listening friends, as well.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 22:48
Fantastic album. I had a big long post a couple days ago, but captcha got me. Just as well, most are thinking. Discipline has the same powerful aggressive sound that Red has. It traded out mellotrons for guitar synthesizers, which were worth exploring and they gave Roland good feedback on them. They got “symphonic” sound of a more synthey sort from the guitar synthesizers. Their polyrhythms were well within the spirit of Prog. The contrast in stage presence between Fripp and Belew reminds me of a similar earlier contrast between Fripp and Muir. Great stuff.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 00:15
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

Unpopular opinion:

Not a huge fan of Discipline.

My favorite albums of KC are the first four. I can honestly live without anything from KC after Islands. Most of their stuff after the break up of Fripp and Sinfield didn't feel like KC to me. That and, imo, when only one original member of a band remains, you can't really call it the same band anymore anyways. And as such, I don't consider anything after Islands to be true KC anymore. Same applies to modern Styx (given that JY is the last founder in the band, since Chuck can barely stand up long enough to play on an album anymore).

1. In the Wake of Poseidon
2. In the Court of the Crimson King
3. Islands
4. Lizard
5. Red
6. Starless and Bible Black
7. Beat
8. Larks' Tongues in Aspic
9. Discipline
10. Three of a Perfect Pair
11. THRAK
12. The Power to Believe
13. The ConstruKtion of Light

I do love that album at No12 in your list. In fact I would put it at number 2 in my list behind Red.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 03:32
We like very different eras of KC my friend lol.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 06:05
Still modern today, when modern prog sounds so old.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 07:16
I'm only an occasional KC fan but I like Discipline quite a lot
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 08:22
I adore it but the next two were really bad attempts at recapturing that Discipline magic.

Discipline 9.5/10
Beat 6/10
Three Of A Perfect Pair 5/10
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 16:56
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Gezz! Get a room!

LMAO................

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 18:28
hahahhaha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ecasasmusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecasasmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 11:18
King Crimson is an ever changing band. Every incarnation is different. So why changing the name for Discipline era and not for Larks era or Thrak? It is all KC in different shapes.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 09:20
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

And now for something completely different: Discipline. I always felt the group should have stayed with that named instead of switching to King Crimson because the symphonic elements were gone. It's not my cuppa but I understand why people like this era of KC and this album in particular.

Not my cuppa either. This band achieved the making of a vastly overrated album in the dawn of its existence and did this over again twelve years later . It was a twist of fate that "Discipline" would be the name of a band from a later period that released a masterpiece with quite a lot of symphonic elements.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 09:56
Difficult to think of it as a KC album but maybe those who are attached to ITCOTCK feel the same way about Red.  It doesn't have any of the emotional peaks of Red nor the expansiveness.  But hey, it's the 80s and here's KC in a smart, sustainable size as Fripp had promised.  And it works brilliantly in its own right.  While I find it difficult to get attached to the aesthetic, the songwriting is catchy as f**k, maybe the best ever for KC.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 12:26
"Discipline" is too disciplined for my taste. The best track on it is - no surprise - "Indiscipline". The album should have gone more in that direction, in my opinion.

Edited by BaldFriede - October 23 2018 at 12:27

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 13:57
Whereas the earlier KC had more of an organic and earthy approach, Discipline to me has too much of a modern and almost robotic feel. It's a great sound, but a bit too much like computers involved, and not enough heart and blood.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 14:12
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

Whereas the earlier KC had more of an organic and earthy approach, Discipline to me has too much of a modern and almost robotic feel. It's a great sound, but a bit too much like computers involved, and not enough heart and blood.

That was typical of the 80s though. That's why there were so many experiments with drum computers in the 80 too. Needless to say all of them were failures.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
pinkyfloydyfan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkyfloydyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 21:04
Best KC albums:
1. ITCOCK
2. Discipline
3. Red

Many others albums still great, BUT those 3 ones are so marvelous from diversity to performance!

I will always remember the first time i listened to those ones: i was astonishing!
We are pilgrims!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 21:16
What's in a name? Fripp/ Sylvian does not trip off the tongue and memory as easily as an established name. The Next Day very much a Crimson album but is not called that and we are all conditioned to think in pop group identity. And so that goes.

Discipline I did not find to be overly electronic - electric yes, but guitars bass and drums with vocals is the basis. Tony Levin gives us the Chapman Stick making this album the effective Are You Experienced of the day. The symphonic elements are there just done with guitars rather than mellotron.

Even now one of the most breathtaking and innovative rock albums ever. And the composition style mas maintained over 2 more albums of it's like while exploring songs as well as the "Weird stuff".
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 04:57
I have only now bought a smartphone and I use the beginning of Elephant Talk as my first ringtone.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 19:43
If they had called that incarnation Discipline then what the hell would the band Discipline have had to call themselves??? King Crimson??? LOL Anyway the concert I saw for that album is one my favorite shows I have ever seen.  And on that note, here's an article that I had saved and forgotten about that posted in another category in the forum.  Download it to read it.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 12 2019 at 19:45
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12