Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson vs Talking Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
33 [52.38%]
22 [34.92%]
6 [9.52%]
2 [3.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 15:35
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

KC, easy. 
Yes, very easy.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 17:18
Remain in Light is pretty good, but not good enough to win this for me.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 17:42
I doubt there's many people on here who don't know who played on "Remain in Light" besides the regular members of the Talking Heads themselves of course but for those who don't here's the lineup from the wikipedia page:

Talking Heads

Additional musicians

And yes, apparently that is THE Robert Palmer on percussion.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 09 2018 at 17:44
JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JesusisLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 23:49
Have a strong suspicion that many who dissed Remain in Light have never bothered to even listen to it. It is incredible. Ask Fripp. One guy even dismissed the Heads as a "novelty act". Glad I've never developed that narrow-mindedness. Ironically, it can come from those who boast themselves as "progressive". 

And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 10:07
Just because someone doesn't care for the Heads doesn't mean they're close-minded. I just don't like Byrne's voice. Same reason I don't care for Flower Kings. Vocals can make or break a group for me. I've listened to the Heads many times, if someone else was singing (speaking) I would probably enjoy them. I think its narrow-minded to assume that if someone doesn't like what you do, that there must be something wrong with them. And because I like prog doesn't mean that I'm "boasting myself as 'progressive'."
PROGMATIC
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 10:32
Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

Have a strong suspicion that many who dissed Remain in Light have never bothered to even listen to it. It is incredible. Ask Fripp. One guy even dismissed the Heads as a "novelty act". Glad I've never developed that narrow-mindedness. Ironically, it can come from those who boast themselves as "progressive". 

I think it's safe to say that sometimes the most progressive albums are albums that some wouldn't even call "prog." Anyway, I agree that many on here haven't even heard this TH album but voted against it anyway. I worked with a guy a long time ago(mid 90's) who dissed the eighties King Crimson because they "sounded too much like the talking heads." 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 10 2018 at 10:35
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 11:29
Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

I didn't say Talking Heads were a novelty band in any absolute sense.  Only as compared to King Crimson.  We're talking about one of the few absolute titans of prog here.  I can like Talking Heads and appreciate their artistry without having to elevate them to that level.  To me, the comparison seems a stretch, and I stand by that assessment. 

This isn't about snobbery.  I like Asia, but I'm not about to go loading them up head to head with Yes.  That is unless we're comparing XXX (that album is positively brilliant from start to finish) to Heaven and Earth (a very disappointing Yes outing from the same time).  But that's not what's going on here.  Discipline is not some horrible misstep in the King Crimson discography.  
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 12:19
Remain in Light is just special. Discipline wasn't the second coming as it should have been after Red.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 14:03
I realize I am not typical, but I do not elevate Red to some great height, although Providence was tremendous. I do elevate LTIA and SABB and Discipline to a higher level. The only part of Discipline I don’t care for is the title track, Discipline in which not a lot really happens, kind of like major parts of Red. And yes, I have heard Remain in Light. I interpret more influence on Discipline coming from Belew’s time with Zappa and Bowie and the addition of Tony Levin’s Chapmin Stick and very different base style from Wetton’s. Remain in Light is certainly not crap. I don’t know that I would call it Progressive either. Nor should what I like be governed by what is thought of by some as Progressive. In fact some characteristics of the Talking Heads that I don’t like I also commonly hear in a band like Gentle Giant, a decidedly progressive band that I also do not like for some of the same reasons.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 15:27
Remain in Light is my favorite Heads album and certainly one of their very best, but it doesn't match up to Discipline.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 16:21
KC all the way for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 01:59
Fine T. Heads album. But against Discipline?  8 or 9 versus a perfect 10...

Y'know, how about pitting The Heads versus The League Of Gentlemen? There I'd give The Heads the nod fr songs even over the Gent's groove.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 06:34
Neither. Not the best prog you can find.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 07:10
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

This is one of those that's hard to take seriously. Compared to KC, the Heads are little more than a catchy novelty act.

To be fair, he's asking you to vote between 2 albums, not the acts themselves. I would probably vote for KC over TH as an act, but RIL is the better album of the two imo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 14:09
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

This is one of those that's hard to take seriously. Compared to KC, the Heads are little more than a catchy novelty act.

To be fair, he's asking you to vote between 2 albums, not the acts themselves. I would probably vote for KC over TH as an act, but RIL is the better album of the two imo.

Exactly. I can see how the title might make people think that but once you open the thread it should be obvious it's about an album vs an album and nothing more.
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 18:09
I see Remain in Light as TH's finest hour. I love the Jon Hassell solos the most. KC's Discipline is not my favorite KC period, I guess they are about tie for me.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 18:38
Discipline isn't my favourite album by King Crimson, but it still tops all of the albums of Talking Heads.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 21:35
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Naw, I got that. That's why I subsequently made the Asia/Yes analogy. Yes clearly outpaces Asia but it is possible for Asia to come out ahead if you put Asia's very best against one of Yes' clunkers.

This specific head to head only goes half way. It does cute the Head's best, but the Crimson selection is no clunker.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 12:18
Crimson
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 13:03
Remain In Light
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>