Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Annual R&RHOF Fail Confirmed for 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 04:12
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm honestly quite surprised that Jethro Tull did not make the list. However, I fail to be convinced that there is some sort of anti prog conspiracy going on. 

It's all got to do with Anderson's hatred for Rolling Stone magazine. They probably haven't forgiven him for the line in Baker St Muse....." I have no time for Time magazine or Rolling Stone......."

Having had 2 number one albums in the US plus another 10 albums in the top 20 in the US as well as selling somewhere between 60 to 100 million albums/units/whatever apparently doesn't qualify you for this farcical institution.

I think it's great though; it just shows what a piece of crap the R&RHoF actually is.

Edited by BarryGlibb - October 12 2018 at 04:15
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 13:54
There's enough prog-prog related in the current list.
JTull might make it in the next few yrs they had some #1 albums in early 70's. KC my guesses are 1) What incarnation of KC do you induct??? 2) Has Robert Fripp pissed off RnRHoF in the past?

Surely by this time both Fripp and Anderson could care less about it, but like Rush their interest in it would be for the die hard fan base, they want for "us" not for themselves.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 17:05

Still no Steppenwolf???

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 18:21
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The "Rock and Roll Hall of Shame" is just that, a shame for rock music.

I agree 100%, Manuel - an absolute disgrace. Voted by people with no idea of what rock, in all its forms, means --and prog rock stands hardly any chance. Why don't musicians boycott this farce?....... oh I know, it's the old 'dirty cash'! Shame!

Edited by Squonk19 - October 12 2018 at 18:22
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 19:04
i think IQ should go in the rock and roll hall of fame .  😊
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 20:37
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

i think IQ should go in the rock and roll hall of fame .  😊

I'd be happy to see the R&RHoF develop an IQ, but I'm not holding my breath LOL

Seriously though, the thing has always been just a front for prog hating Rolling Stone mag to push their own twisted agenda of what they think rock is instead of honoring the historic bands that actually deserve it.  Donna Summer is in the R&R hall, but no Jethro Tull...right Wacko 

If you look at the history of every "Hall of Fame" from R&R to the NFL, they all start out with good intentions honoring the truly great from the past.  Then as time goes on, the real greats have all been inducted so it's time to start dropping the bar to stay relevant or else no one would attend their events or pay to tour the museum.  Like Alex Lifeson said in Rush's acceptance speech...blah blah blah Wink 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 22:20
The Sex Pistols got it right when they refused to attend this sham, even if their grammar is a bit punk in and of itself....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 22:25
i just realized Judas Priest is not even in .

Well, as my friend the Crimson King says ' blah blab blab blah' 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 07:00
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

i just realized Judas Priest is not even in .

now that is indeed surprising...  would be hoot if Def Leppard made it in and they obviously will before the Priest does.  Pretty f**ked up selection process but who really cares or loses any sleep about it.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 11:44
absolutely . No Sleep lost at all. The R&RHOF has no credibility with me . Not for one second. I think Iron Maiden is not in either, but lady gaga is???

You know what the funny thing is? It is that r&rhof will always get its exposure because it is ceremonial. What fan does not like to see their beloved band be honored and exaulted in a fine ceremonial decree? I tell ya, if king crimson, judas priest and iron maiden were a bill of inductees i would watch it .No doubt. 

So .it is a bit of a rock and hard place scenario . most hate the r&rhof because of their choices for who gets inducted and maybe for what it stands for, especially since it is not GENRE specific at all, but if your favourite band gets inducted you are gonna watch it. Lol
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 21:11
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The Sex Pistols got it right when they refused to attend this sham, even if their grammar is a bit punk in and of itself....

That's good. They dared to do what not even the prog acts would do... not even Wakeman, who had said he may be busy washing his hair that day.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 08:01
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The public can vote but ......what's the criteria for even getting placed on the nomination list and who actually does that...?
Over the years many of the nominees aren't even really 'rock n roll.' 

That's part of the silliness of it. It would have been more appropriate had they named it the Music Hall of Fame.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 11:41
Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone have diserved this
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12