Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for the name of a song / band for 35 years
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for the name of a song / band for 35 years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AustinMaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for the name of a song / band for 35 years
    Posted: October 09 2018 at 14:03
Around 1983 I recorded part of a semi instrumental song played on 'The LP show' broadcast by Tros Radio Hilversum 3 on Thursday evenings. If reception was good I would pick it up on medium wave in the UK. The show played prog rock and new age and synthesiser music.

No amount of internet searching has shed any light on who it was by.

Is there any way I can upload the recording so someone can listen to it.

The lyrics I can make out are: 'love is falling away from you...., runaway from your heart for nothing is real'

Guessing from the accent of the singer it may be a dutch band.

Thanks
AustinMaxi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AustinMaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 14:09
I forgot to mention nothing comes up on Shazam or Soundhound.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 23:51
Wild stab in the dark but Kayak were still (just) going in 1983 and that is the kind of cheesy lyric that featured on some of the songs on the Merlin album (Seagull maybe).
AustinMaxi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AustinMaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 14:06
If I've done it right, the audio clip can be heard here for your listening pleasure:

https://youtu.be/apxApqPZE4Q

My first attempt at You Tube.

Edited by AustinMaxi - October 11 2018 at 14:07
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 00:35
The vocals are very '80s and there ae at least a keyboard and a sequencer. I would check some British electronics of that age, like Soft Cell or even Ultravox. I'm not expert in that genre but this is what comes to my mind.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 06:07
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The vocals are very '80s and there ae at least a keyboard and a sequencer. I would check some British electronics of that age, like Soft Cell or even Ultravox. I'm not expert in that genre but this is what comes to my mind.
It's that kind of style but it's not Soft Cell or Ultravox.
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 06:47
80s new wave
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 08:22
I have done two listens and a few searches on this one, but I could not hear a bell ringing yet. Sounds like early 80's synthpop to me.
The LP Show was renamed sometime during the course of 1983 to LP en CD Show.

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 11:34
It sounds like early Depeche Mode to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 11:42
...or on second listen, maybe not. The voice is too high to be depeche mode.  Hmmmm...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 11:49
Almost reminded me of Bono from U2, but that is with it being listened to on a low volume at work.  I'll try and remember to listen to it at home where I can play it louder.
Clyde Crashcup View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clyde Crashcup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 12:23
Hey all, been lurking here for years but had to register to help answer this one.

This sounds for all the world like Midge Ure singing. I thought it was Ceramic Hello until the singing started. Problem is, IMO it's a bit too primitive to be U-vox, and Midge's solo efforts came out in the mid 80's. It's not Visage (sounds similar to Anvil period) and it's not one of Ure's earlier groups as they were more punk (guitar) oriented.

A lot of groups had a similar stark sound but usually American. The singer, range, inflection, and even the lyrics sound all the world like Midge Ure. But he usually had a more melodic sense. It's possible there was a demo or 45 B side of his work with Ultravox leading up to Vienna. Only those in the UK would know.

Also check Modern Man a group he worked with around the time of Ultravox and I'm unfamiliar with. Back then I grabbed whatever was available at the import section of Tower Records and was happy I could get it! BTW, I'm sure I've heard this before so now it's driving me nuts.

Edited by Clyde Crashcup - October 12 2018 at 12:25
antonio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 13:46
Not sure but, Classix Nouveaux maybe!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 13:47
Red Rockers? Their after punk period. China is quite similar but not the same song
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Clyde Crashcup View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clyde Crashcup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 17:19
I take it back, now that I can hear it on something better it's not Midge Ure. Probably inspired by Ultravox and Midge though. I'd look into the 1 and 2 man bands of the time. Wish I could remember the "band" name of the guy I saw with OMD back in 1981. Kind of like a danceable, less depressed NIN.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 08:52
I couldn't find anything that matches those lyrics on Lyrics.com.  With the wild assumption that the name of the track might be "Nothing is Real", "Run Away...", or "Love is Falling...", I searched Discogs and MusicBrainz. There were lots of matches, but nothing that sounds like this track from the early 80's time frame. (I used Amazon and YouTube to listen to possible matches).

Also, I tried Google Assistant on Android which has a Shazam-like music identifier function. No luck there either.

Perhaps try to digs some more lyrics out of the muddled vocals? There are several passages that I can't make sense of, and the title of the track could be hidden there. Parts of it sound like non-English. Just a thought...

My best guess for the title was "Nothing is Real" because the vocals start with that, and it is repeated throughout.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 01:13
the vocalist reminds me of Michael Sadler of Saga. 
But it's not Saga.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 07:36
I like it but don't know it... would've said as well that the singer sounds like Midge Ure.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 07:45
35 years?...  wow man...  must be one hell of a song.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 08:43
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

35 years?...  wow man...  must be one hell of a song.

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>