Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for the name of a song / band for 35 years
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for the name of a song / band for 35 years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 14:57
I have asked a friend who...gasp...has a preference for this type of music.

ps I do like Ultravox, one of my favorite groups of that era
Andis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 08:37
The human league? Can't place the song but the sound is very close.
"Be yourself. The world worships the original." - Ingrid Bergman
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 04:12
Oh well, what's another 35 years. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 04:48
I would’ve guessed something in the vicinity of Ultravox/Midge Ure but no cigar I suppose.
Btw I moved this to general music discussion as this obviously isn’t about a prog artist.
Good luck though!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 14:21
My friend into this style ran it by several partners in crime as well...no idea
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 20:59
Now, this is something unheard of... the guys on this forum not being able to identify a song / album that someone is asking help for. I've seen people identifying music with far less information... even when the information was inacurate.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 05:50
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Now, this is something unheard of... the guys on this forum not being able to identify a song / album that someone is asking help for. I've seen people identifying music with far less information... even when the information was inacurate.

Well, chances are this is an obscure band that maybe only had one single or one album that didn't sell. There are millions of those out there and chances are that this forum would only identify a small part.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 08:29
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, chances are this is an obscure band that maybe only had one single or one album that didn't sell. There are millions of those out there and chances are that this forum would only identify a small part.

And I believe that it may be an artist who normally performs in his native (non-English) tongue. There are parts of this song that don't sound like English, and the English parts have a heavy accent.  I've tried translating some of the English phrases into various northern-European languages in the hopes of hearing something akin to the vocals on the song, with no luck.  I think it will take some work from our European prog'sters to help identify the piece.

So yeah, obscure band... non-English (maybe?)... limited distribution or radio play.  Gonna be tough!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 08:53
To me it sounds like Frankie Goes To Hollywood as its synthpop with those overcrooning vocals but i don't they they were yet in existence.

80s new wave is one of my favorite forms of pop music and i created a comprehensive list on Rate Your Music. Being tired of trying to find one, i made one that attempts to represent EVERY album that was lumped into the new wave of the 70s and 80s. 

I know it's a huge undertaking but maybe you can sift through it and maybe an obscure band or two will ring a bell.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - October 20 2018 at 08:55

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 18:59
Silly puppy you are just amazing!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 20:03
^ who told you that i could lick my own private parts? LOL

Edited by siLLy puPPy - October 20 2018 at 20:07

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 12:07
Oh by the way I gather you classify my fav non-prog band  Comsat Angels as post punk and therefore not new wave? They have a number of albums that are far more new wave than post punk though, following your description (beginning from Land - to the chagrin of many of their fans but I'm fine with that).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 18:49

Oh by the way I gather you classify my fav non-prog band  Comsat Angels as post punk and therefore not new wave? They have a number of albums that are far more new wave than post punk though, following your description (beginning from Land - to the chagrin of many of their fans but I'm fine with that).

OK, i'll investigate that. There are many bands that staddle the line between post-punk and new wave. My list is all inclusive. Which albums would you say fit the description?

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 05:25
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

OK, i'll investigate that. There are many bands that staddle the line between post-punk and new wave. My list is all inclusive. Which albums would you say fit the description?

Land - Seven Day Weekend - Chasing Shadows. They were then prevented from using the name "Comsat Angels" in the US and released an album "Fire on the Moon" under the name "Dream Command", that should also fit here. When they went back to the Comsat Angels name in 1992 it was post punk again.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 19:28
Could be like a 'local band' or something. Would explain why the lyrics seemingly can't be found on the internet.. and no one seems to have heard the song before. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 05:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

ummmm...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 07:22

Land - Seven Day Weekend - Chasing Shadows. They were then prevented from using the name "Comsat Angels" in the US and released an album "Fire on the Moon" under the name "Dream Command", that should also fit here. When they went back to the Comsat Angels name in 1992 it was post punk again.

Actually, i investigated and found i already have them on the list! One of those that straddles post-punk and new wave. There are many bands i have here that i've never heard. Part of the reason i made it was to make an easy to navigate database.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 07:23
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

ummmm...

Well, at least the man lived his life with a real mission at hand LOL

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 07:56

Wouldn't Gene Loves Jezebel qualify for this ?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 07:56
LOL

I've never had fixations like these, thank God :))))
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>