Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog World Cup-Round Of 16:  Frank Zappa- Horslips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog World Cup-Round Of 16: Frank Zappa- Horslips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Pick your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
43 [76.79%]
13 [23.21%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 08:43
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

And The Tain and The Book of Invasions are two of the very best albums ever recorded, vastly better than anything Zappa did.

Come on, Hercules, don't be silly.

Not being silly at all. They are both incredible pieces of work.

We can agree on that but the 'vastly better' part is quite laughable, man...probably not as much as this whole cheesy world cup though.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 18:18
Poll's over. Frank Zappa advances to quarterfinals. Final score 35-8.

Edited by Morningrise - October 12 2018 at 18:19
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 21:02

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I had never even heard of the Irish outfit. How much like Tull are they?

Not really like Tull, though Jim Lockhart's flute work is often compared to Ian Anderson's. There's much more of a traditional folk feel about Horslips, and they use fiddles, mandolins, concertinas and Uillean pipes a lot in the early albums. They also sing some songs in Gaelic and even Manx.

This is their best known song, off The Tain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5G8AJf4Xzw

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7cfNEW3pCY

I haven't even finished listening to this song, and I already like it better than anything I have heard from Zappa (which is not reallly all that much anyway).
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 03:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I had never even heard of the Irish outfit. How much like Tull are they?

Not really like Tull, though Jim Lockhart's flute work is often compared to Ian Anderson's. There's much more of a traditional folk feel about Horslips, and they use fiddles, mandolins, concertinas and Uillean pipes a lot in the early albums. They also sing some songs in Gaelic and even Manx.

This is their best known song, off The Tain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5G8AJf4Xzw

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7cfNEW3pCY

I haven't even finished listening to this song, and I already like it better than anything I have heard from Zappa (which is not reallly all that much anyway).

Pity others didn't take the time to listen!
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 09:40
I find the two recommendation's interesting. I will add Horslipa to my buying list....
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 16:18

I find the two recommendation's interesting. I will add Horslipa to my buying list....

As have I.

Funny how long they escaped me since I'm so into Celtic influenced music.  Celtic Prog?  Not sure it's a match made in Heaven, but it does have me highly intrigued.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 16:49
I adore Sheik Yerbouti, and Frank was a mad genius, but after careful consideration, I voted for Horslips for their equally important significance in the broad, broad world of prog.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 04:01
Horslips are my most Vinyl/CD/Cassette collected artist; in fact my moniker on Discogs is "Horslips". So if you are on the Discogs database and you see a contributor called Horslips; it's me!

They were truly unique and diverse...they ended up being new wave; still with a hint of Celtic instruments.

Love them.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 13:36
If this poll has introduced a few people to the music of the most influential band ever to come out of Ireland (as U2 admit, they were inspired by Horslips), that's great news.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 14:37

If this poll has introduced a few people to the music of the most influential band ever to come out of Ireland (as U2 admit, they were inspired by Horslips), that's great news.

To me, "Irish rock" = Thin Lizzy, Horslips, Mama's Boys.

U2 doesn't even count. LOL
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 21:38
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yep.

Although I would add in some Rory Gallagher and some Gary Moore.

Also some Irish punk with Dropkick Murphy's, Flogging Molly, and The Pogues.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 03:33
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Yep.

Also some Irish punk with Dropkick Murphy's, Flogging Molly, and The Pogues.

Horslips were an enormous influence on The Pogues. Philip Chevron from the Pogues was an avid Horslips fan; even interviewing them for his school paper back in 1972 and ended up being a great friend of the band Below is one of his quotes from a Pogues forum where Chevron discusses Horslips and there influence on him 

"Horslips (especially) were one of the greatest live acts I've ever seen - it was like they opened the door to a whole new Ireland of possibilities and invited all us Irish kids to walk in and discover it for ourselves."

Here is the complete forum
http://pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16763
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 07:32

It's nice stuff, I'd listened to it before but not for a very long time, I don't get the "vastly better than anything Zappa has done" but I'm glad I listened to the two albums you recommended and have noted them for further exploration. Thanks!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 07:34

If they are even partly to blame for U2 that's enough to damn them for eternity ;)
Ian

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 12:13
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Yep.

Oh, certainly! GARY MOORE! A monster guitarist. Pat McManus is Gary Moore, Part Deux!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 12:14
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

If they are even partly to blame for U2 that's enough to damn them for eternity ;)

That's like saying Deep Purple should be damned for inspiring all the guitarists who later joined hair metal bands in the '80s.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 12:37

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

That's like saying Deep Purple should be damned for inspiring all the guitarists who later joined hair metal bands in the '80s.

Hey the guilty need to be named & held accountable! Wink
Ian

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 16:29
LOL. The progenitors can't be responsible for what came later. ;)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 19:42
Zappa
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12