Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Too Many Acronymns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too Many Acronymns
    Posted: October 14 2018 at 12:24
Yesterday's acronym will be obsolete in a few days.. I love going back (even closed threads) to read, but it can be difficult. Does anyone else notice WAY too many acronyms? Anyone else not able to understand them all? Some say it's to save time, but I think it does the opposite - time going into searching, finding multiple results, or assuming to understand. It takes 2 seconds to type it out.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 15:44
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Yesterday's acronym will be obsolete in a few days.. I love going back (even closed threads) to read, but it can be difficult. Does anyone else notice WAY too many acronyms? Anyone else not able to understand them all? Some say it's to save time, but I think it does the opposite - time going into searching, finding multiple results, or assuming to understand. It takes 2 seconds to type it out.

OMG! IIRC, UR seeming to want change ASAP. Blow up acronyms with an ICBM. IMHO, I'm OK w/it - JFK.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 10:20
An aside, but I've noticed the word being spelled two different ways.. Acronym and Acronymn

AliceBaldieDaughter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceBaldieDaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 11:06
The word "acronym" is actually a combination of the Ancient Greek "ἄκρος" ("acros") meaning "At the edge, beginning, end, extreme" or in general "outermost" and the Aeolian "ὄνυμα" ("onyma") meaning name. "Acronym" would therefore be the correct spelling.

I am still going to school, and my sister Dorothy and I took Ancient Greek and Latin because we want to become biologists, and almost all scientific names for animals, plants or mushrooms are either Latin or Ancient Greek.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 11:19
Yea, When I first got here I felt like i needed a translator but I'm kind if use to it now. 
 I remember the first time I saw ITCOTCK I thought WTF?!?Confused
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 07:17
You should try working in IT!  Too many TLAs.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 07:42
WYF! LOL! SCNR.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 10:44
I think that acronyms, initialism, and abbreviations are often over-used, but I don't usually have problem with them in context, and quite like to figure out or seek those that I don't know. Deciphering can be fun for me in much the same way that I liked to come up with codes with my friends when I was young (knowing them can make you feel like more of a group with insider, arcane knowledge, but it can leave others feeling left out).

I edit papers and reports. I often come across initialism that seems too jargonistic for me, but it does serve its purpose. One that commonly is used in papers that I work on is KSF, in this case meaning Key Success Factors, but KSF can stand for many more things such as Knowledge & Skills Framework and Kangaroo Special Forces. What I would do is start with writing Key Success Factors (KSF) and afterwards I could just write KSF.

Acronyms can be useful, such as SCUBA and LASER (most would not know what both of those even stand for), but it can get confusing when they are uncommon. With initialism, such as DT, is one referring to Dream Theater, delirium tremens, Deep Throat, Deadsoul Tribe, or Do That! Context can help, but it can be hard to tell. If someone says "I love DT". Does he or she mean "I love deep throat" or "I love Dream Theater", or both? It depends on the community, deep throat is more rock & roll, methinks.

When I first read LOL, I got a sense of what it might mean, and when looking it up, I figured it meant Laughing Out Loud rather than Lots of Love.

I once thought about creating a WAYLTRN? (What Are You Listening to Right Now?) document, which compiled every post in those threads at PA (erm, I mean Prog Archives, not Penile Agitator), but the abbreviations became a challenge. It would have been a huge waste of time, and would not have sold as well as the 130th edition of "The Ultimate What Are You Eating and Drinking Right Now Compendium".
AliceBaldieDaughter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceBaldieDaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 11:32
The interesting thing about "LOL" is that it has become a word of its own, at least in the vocabulary of my sister and me. We often say it out loud when we want to say something is funny.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 11:32
IDK WTF THS FKG THG!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Rushman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rushman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 13:21
TL;DR
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 08:34
And the acronyms are sometimes ambiguous... For example, the band Yes played CTTE (Close to the Edge) on CTTE (Cruise to the Edge).  The latter acronym isn't as widely used, but can still be confusing.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 07:14
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

And the acronyms are sometimes ambiguous... For example, the band Yes played CTTE (Close to the Edge) on CTTE (Cruise to the Edge).  The latter acronym isn't as widely used, but can still be confusing.

CTTE is not an acronym, it's an initialisation. It's only an acronym if it's a pronounceable word such as radar.

Just call me Captain Pedantic.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 09:47
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

CTTE is not an acronym, it's an initialisation. It's only an acronym if it's a pronounceable word such as radar.

To be even more pedantic: It is an initialism, not an initialisation.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 21:55
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

And the word radar is a palindrome. I do not have an acronym for that. Do we have a "Too many palindromes" thread yet?!?!?

[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 08:24
I don't think palindromes are a problem.

Post Reply Post Reply