Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Famous Musicians Comment on YES 50th Anniversary
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Famous Musicians Comment on YES 50th Anniversary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relayerofdelirium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Famous Musicians Comment on YES 50th Anniversary
    Posted: October 14 2018 at 16:57
Sean McKee, a friend of Jon Anderson's who also writes music with him, posted this:

Nice comments by all involved. Some big names involved. I can't believe YES Featuring ARW didn't include this on their 50th Anniversary concert DVD. Would've been a nice companion piece, maybe they didn't know he was doing it, but then again it could've seem too self congratulatory, so it's pretty cool this guy did this on his own.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 17:23
To be honest I was a bit disappointed with that.   I mean, Steve Vai, Ponty, John Petrucci, the guy from Def Leppard... really?   That's it?   That's all they could muster?   Five-minute rambles from musicians only prog fans know anyway?   That's how we pay tribute to one of the greatest bands of all time?  

It should be a PBS special, an hour of love for the most popular and significant prog band (not counting Floyd).

Shame.

Edited by Atavachron - October 14 2018 at 17:25
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
relayerofdelirium View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relayerofdelirium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 21:00
I was happy there was anything. The band(s) and label didn't do anything. PBS specials cost money to make and Mr. McKee probably just asked some people he knew to do something nice. To complain that there should be more is to not be thankful that there is something at all. I personally am grateful for whatever effort was made. I found this info over at yesfans.com and the response is overwhelmingly positive.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 07:53
I'm glad at least somebody did something, since YES has lately been treated badly, including hard core fans who feel disappointed with the bands latests decisions, and their latest album did not help them at all, but displeased a lot of their most loyal fans. Their legacy is undeniable though, and I'm glad some people recognized that. 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 08:36
if Yes had stayed together like The Stones or some other bands---or even Genesis who have gotten together with Steve and Peter and they all seem to still like each other---probably be easier to do something but the hate and personal drama and the fact their are 2 bands called Yes just makes the cluster f**k a turn off---as a life long Yes fan have no interest in either line up.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 19:16
^ Of course, the large number of musicians that have been part of Yes could be used to their advantage, doing some sort of festival with all that would be up to it. Say, an all day long of music, having Yes getting together in different line-ups, as well as the bands related to Yes (most particularly, Asia... but perhaps even The Buggles, Flash, whatever), as well as themselves going with some of their solo music. But then again, we can only dream... things won't go that way anyway.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 23:06
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ Of course, the large number of musicians that have been part of Yes could be used to their advantage, doing some sort of festival with all that would be up to it. Say, an all day long of music, having Yes getting together in different line-ups, as well as the bands related to Yes (most particularly, Asia... but perhaps even The Buggles, Flash, whatever), as well as themselves going with some of their solo music. But then again, we can only dream... things won't go that way anyway.

Thank you, that is an excellent vision!  The Yes legacy is vast indeed, it would be a wondrous event! Clap

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 11:27
30 years from now they'll have Yes: The Next Generation. They could come out with the best political album of the 2030s, "Tales from Rising Oceans." Then they could become a big favorite of the back to wax cylinders movement in the 2040s. In the 2050s Chris Squire will have become a part of future mythology, being considered the "Mythological Founder of the Yes." Trevor Rabin, having transferred his consciousness to an Amazon Echo, will have created much better music for 30 years, but will be ignored by Yes fans who favor the hologram of Steve Howe. The best is yet to come.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 19:21
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Thank you, that is an excellent vision!  The Yes legacy is vast indeed, it would be a wondrous event! Clap

Hi,

It's a really nice thought, but in the end, almost all of the folks involved are getting too old and the chances of something like this happening gets smaller and smaller each and every day that passes by.

Honestly, I do not look for something like the YES REVIEW, with a few folks, and it feels like all we're looking is for the heroes of the past, and I do not wish to make it to one of these events, when I was lucky to see the original when everyone was trashing it, including the media (TFTO), and in my honest opinion, you had, right there, the best classical music concert, EVER, by the folks our age ... it's just a shame that RW's has to talk about diapers when he feels like it, and still does not appreciate his addition to the whole thing, however different it was.

The day I see him, playing a whole side of that on his piano, I will think a bit more of RW and his own thoughts ... maybe all he wants is to play fun riffs with his school friends ... try the BS guy and the JT guy ... might make for more interesting music ... and less funny comments that are not necessary.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 08:24

well from everything I read the hate is so deep this will never happen---and while I respect that many believe all these members contributed something important---I'm a long time fan who doesn't---I'm a fan but can't accept everything---especially if it isn't great music. The important music happened in the 70's---thats the stuff even young musicians still find inspirational.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 23:31
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

well from everything I read the hate is so deep this will never happen---and while I respect that many believe all these members contributed something important---I'm a long time fan who doesn't---I'm a fan but can't accept everything---especially if it isn't great music. The important music happened in the 70's---thats the stuff even young musicians still find inspirational.

Of course the most significant music from Yes is from the 70's, but I do enjoy some of the music afterwards (or before Howe joined) very well enough too, so it's perfectly fine for me if they play some of it too. And yeah, Yes really doesn't need anyone else to play any of their songs if they have the classic line-up, but still it would be nice as a special treat to have all the alumni possilbe. Perhaps even form a line-up to play some of Fish out of Water as a tribute for Squire (and something out of their first 2 albums, and perhaps even Flash, as a tribute to Peter Banks, if we are at it). But it doesn't really matter how many of us would like that or not, it's just not happening anyway.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 16:28
I'm not famous, but I've been a prog musician since 1976, and have released a dozen or so albums.

I'll go with my own ideas and comments about the Yes drama and circus, circa 2018. I don't need to hear from others what to think.
 Post Reply Post Reply