Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Band To See For 50th Anniversary?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Best Band See For 50th Anniversity?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [32.43%]
5 [13.51%]
3 [8.11%]
1 [2.70%]
16 [43.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Band To See For 50th Anniversary?
    Posted: October 15 2018 at 08:04
These groups will or have toured for their 50th anniversary. Who is worth seeing?

Edited by SteveG - October 15 2018 at 08:06
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 08:16
Too bad there is no "other" option in this poll.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 08:25
I'd pay top dollar seeing Howe, Anderson, White, Bruford, Wakeman ---but current lineup have no interest in.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 08:43
I kind of want to see the ARW Yes line up. I saw the Howe Yes a few years ago ,I didn't love it. I give them points for trying but too many pieces were missing. 

Edited by Argo2112 - October 15 2018 at 08:44
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 09:05
I saw the Ian Anderson 50th anniversary concert in Ottawa.

The supporting players were excellent and did a great job of sounding like Tull.

Ian played great flute and had lots of energy.

His voice is nowhere close to what it used to be....  but overall it was a great concert.

Prog On!
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 09:06
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I'd pay top dollar seeing Howe, Anderson, White, Bruford, Wakeman ---but current lineup have no interest in.

Two drummers and no bass player - that would be novel!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 09:35
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Too bad there is no "other" option in this poll.

This. VdGG are still making good music in the 21st century.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 09:39
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Two drummers and no bass player - that would be novel!
Hey, KC is not in the poll! ;)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 09:48

This . . .

I'd also be wary of a Tull concert. I heard Ian in the States about 7 years ago and his voice wasn't that great. I could only guess that it hasn't become that much better in the interim (and I'm not a fan of "substitute" singers). The concert, however, was outstanding, despite the dodgy venue.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 09:52
I finally got to see Strawbs a couple of years ago, and I'd love to see them again.

They were excellent.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 10:22
I was lucky enough to see Yes with Chris Squire on stage a couple of years ago and it was a fantastic show. So I'll stick with that image of a Yes live concert.

As for Tull, I also saw Ian Anderson not very long ago and, as much as I enjoyed the concert, he just can't sing anymore.

That leaves Strawbs, a band which I didn't have the opportunity to see perform. So Strawbs it is.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 14:34
I suppose Tull. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 14:45
I saw the Ian Anderson Tull 50th and his destroyed voice really killed the experience for me, neither Yes line-up excites me at all, so I guess its The Strawbs
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 14:49
Not really interested in seeing any of them now.. except the Strawbs possibly

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 14:51
As I've never seen them, Strawbs!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 16:49
hah...

a big fat NADA.. NON UNO TUTTO...NICHT EINS ÜBERHAUPT...PAS UN SEUL... NO UNO EN ABSOLUTO... NOT A FÜCKING ONE

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 16:59
Most of Jethro ain't with Tull
Half of Yes is Maybe
Strawbs are mostly just throbs of joint pain....
I think I'll just stick with memories of the actual great concerts I saw when they were at the top of their games.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 17:49
Strawbs
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 18:37
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I saw the Ian Anderson Tull 50th and his destroyed voice really killed the experience for me, neither Yes line-up excites me at all, so I guess its The Strawbs
I agree. Yes isn't even a shadow of themselves. Without Martin Barre (his band are actually doing a better job in keeping Tull's music alive), Ian Anderson attempts to fly the Tull banner are useless and disappointing, so the Strawbs are probably the only one I could get excited. 
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 19:08
Cant think of any, on or off the list, that would be worth seeing at that point. Few can last that long and be more than a weak parody of their former selves.

I did enjoy both Rush and Kansas on their 40th, but 50 would be well beyond their "use by" dates.

About the only artist I can imagine enjoying 50 years downstream from his kickoff would be Buddy Guy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>