Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Giant vs Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [45.33%]
37 [49.33%]
4 [5.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 14:14
Gentle Giant!
I'm very fond of Tull, especially the wonderful "Songs from the Wood", but I absolutely love Gentle Giant.

I love their complexity, their musical inventiveness, the way that every album is so different, their multi-instrumental musical virtuosity, and their amazingly diverse range of musical styles and influences.

A unique group of incomparable musicians.
Songs cast a light on you
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 15:32
Gentle Giant 
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 15:33
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Gentle Giant!
I'm very fond of Tull, especially the wonderful "Songs from the Wood", but I absolutely love Gentle Giant.

I love their complexity, their musical inventiveness, the way that every album is so different, their multi-instrumental musical virtuosity, and their amazingly diverse range of musical styles and influences.

A unique group of incomparable musicians.

Thumbs Up
I couldnt say better
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 17:10
I do like GG...but we are talking about Tull here......so Tull all the way.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 19:02
Jethro Tull. It's not a remotely hard choice for me. Interestingly, I think there's a large difference of opinion over which period trounces GG. I like Tull's early bluesy period best - just to take the opportunity to agree with Micky (I may not get the chance later).
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 02:26
Gentle Giant all the way.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 19:02
Tull's best albums are better than GG's.
Tull's worst albums are better than GG's.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 21:03
I sliiiiiiightly prefer Tull
Dragged down by the stone
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 21:34
On the one hand, Tull are very accessible and enjoyable. On the other, they also kind of got predictable somewhere down the line.  Dull, as micky put it.  For me, while GG may have missed the mark every now and then, they only began to get dull after Interview.  I always appreciate a band that tries to change up things.  And among bands with a steady lineup (unlike the revolving doors of KC and Yes), not many changed things quite as much as GG.  They were all versatile multi instrumentalists with a knack for very succinct songwriting to pack the experimentation into small, sustainable units long before Fripp actually executed it.  Yes, they are goofy and this turns off a lot of people but not me so I am going with GG on this.  Not surprised at all to see Tull win though.  Next to Genesis and Camel, one of the safest horses to bet on as far as PA goes.  Oh and how could I forget Rush.  Love all of these bands by the way LOL, so don't take offence!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 13:49
Great thread. Tull are my fave band and Giant in my top 3. Both crap on Yes
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 13:55
Tulls remixed albums are opening up a bigger gap on the next best band. So many cool extra tracks. Even in the years we thought they became a pop band with Warchild and Too old they still produced a secret prog album on the side. Best band by a fair bit
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 13:56
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

On the one hand, Tull are very accessible and enjoyable. On the other, they also kind of got predictable somewhere down the line.  Dull, as micky put it. 

I don't think so. Every single one of their albums until at least Crest of a Knave has its own unmistakeable identity and adds something that hadn't been there before. Fair enough, many may not like some of the developments (Under Wraps is is apparently frowned upon by most although I still like it), but predictable? No way!
For me they beat GG easily.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 15:09
Kind of odd that some people call them dull. The 70-73 and 77-80 periods are equal to me. Actually 1974 and 76 has joined this group since I got the remixed sets. All the new tracks coming out are mainly first class Tull and better than most of the album tracks released those years
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 15:14
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

I will go as far and say, that Tull's worst albums are better than GG's best albums.
I have tried and tried and tried again with GG.
It's just not happening.

Shake & bake.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 15:33
^ That's a shame, to me GG is one of the bands you discover after an initial Tull/Yes/Rush period who make you go "Ohhh, so this is what a prog band can really be capable of."

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 15:50
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

I will go as far and say, that Tull's worst albums are better than GG's best albums.
I have tried and tried and tried again with GG.
It's just not happening.

Have you ever tried Octopus? THe songs are on the shorter side but complex yet catchy as hell.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 18:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Have you ever tried Octopus? THe songs are on the shorter side but complex yet catchy as hell.

You could say that about half of their discography TBH.  
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 20:17
GG were great. Hardly a weak year in the 70s. Tull probably had twice as many songs in the 70s. So they’ll always win
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 08:52
Even though Jethro Tull has obviously put out much more music, it's still been basically the product of one person - Ian Anderson. He's done all of the songwriting, and has always been the leader.

Gentle Giant was more of a true band. All members had equal power (and glory). And the songwriting was shared by roughly half of the group (Shulman-Shulman-Shulman-Minear, and Shulman-Shulman-Minear).

Gentle Giant burned brightly, and then faded out when necessary. JT has been propped up and maintained, but at times questionable. It's nice to keep a band name going, but sometimes it's trivial (think of Genesis). Ian Anderson has done much better, but still...

Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge Tull fan - but how a band maintains honor (and knowing when to call it quits or change the name) can be a tricky matter.

Edited by Boojieboy - October 30 2018 at 09:05
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 10:03
Gentle Giant. No contest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>