Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1970: Focus' Focus (instrumental) / Magma's Kobaia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1970: Focus' Focus (instrumental) / Magma's Kobaia

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these tracks do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [55.88%]
15 [44.12%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970: Focus' Focus (instrumental) / Magma's Kobaia
    Posted: October 16 2018 at 12:46
Inspired by the Focus vs Magma competition poll, I thought it might be interesting to compare music more specifically, and a good place to start I thought was at the beginning -- "Focus (instrumental)" off Focus Plays Focus and "Kobaļa" off Magma (aka Kobaļa).

So, of these two, I think, strong tracks that kicked off both Focus and Magma's debut albums, which track do you prefer? If you haven't heard both, please check them out before voting or posting.

A secondary idea I had was to compare two fun tracks by Magma and Focus from each band's second album in 1971 ("Hocus Pocus" vs. "'Iss' Lanseļ Doļa") and maybe I will do that too. I think I will even if it's badly conceived.

Both of these bands have been very important to my musical journey, though it's "Kobaia" over Focus "instrumental" surely for me, and Magma's debut far over Focus' debut. I will be interested to read your thoughts.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 14:09
Focus!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 15:36
a contrast between fellatio and masturbation...  both will get you off.. but one with much greater pleasure.

Kobaia...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 15:46
Focus.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 16:17
Focus
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 16:31
Focus.
Magma is really annoying.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 19:19
Focus. I can't get enough Jan Akkerman.                  Also, Magma is annoying.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 21:30
A 9/10 song vs a 10/10 song. It's Magma by half a star. 
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 22:22
Magma by far.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 22:46
magma 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 02:28
Focus.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 03:28
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

A 9/10 song vs a 10/10 song. It's Magma by half a star. 
its a 5/10 vs 10/10 from me. I hardly know Focus - this track was ok I guess but not the type of progressive rock that excites me.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 05:29
Magma, but this is very close.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 07:54
I like Focus and Jan Akkerman in particular, but I find this track pretty lame. Kobaia rules.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 10:00
I would generally pick Focus over Magma, but in this particular case, Magma gets the nod.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 12:44
Focus.  The only way I'd vote for Magma is if the song was De Futura Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 13:16
^ Strangely, De Futura is one track from Magma that never fully clicked with me. While Kobaia is my favourite Magma studio album, if I were to choose one Magma piece, it would be Theusz Hamtaahk.

^^ Focus was at their best with their second, third and fourth albums for me, whereas Magma's debut remains my favourite album by the band. I do like Focus debut, though. I do find some interesting similarities between "Kobaia" and the Focus instrumental (we are all pattern seeking animals) beyond both being the first tracks off the debut albums released in the same year and both tracks being of about the same length. Say at 6:46 in the Focus instrumental, it reminds me of parts of the Kobaia track -- both have notes as one will notice haha, but amazingly it goes even farther than that.

While I like both considerably in their own ways, I think there's more interesting contrast, adventurousness and uniqueness to the Magma track. It's driving, and then screechy parts, but when it got to 6:05 and beyond is when I first realised that this is going to be something special to me.

On the topic of annoying: What I like about Magma generally, including the track I posted is the contrast. I can find parts of Magma somewhat annoying and at other times sublime, and I appreciate both. To me contrast in music is often very important, and I do like the unexpected (contrasts between the ugly and the beautiful, the consonant and the dissonant etc.). Sometimes just one musical moment of pleasure can open up whole new musical avenues.

I actually can't think of one band in PA with more than four albums whose music I have explored thoroughly enough to call it altogether annoying. Even one musical phrase or beautiful note can make listening worthwhile to me. I try to keep an open mind and open ears, and appreciate the unexpected, and when I have an opinion, I want it to be an informed one (I have delved more into music that I held in low-esteem to find something that I might like, and always succeeded when trying to make the effort, but then that was my goal).

Thanks you all for taking the time to comment, by the way.

Edited by Logan - October 17 2018 at 13:36
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 15:14
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Strangely, De Futura is one track from Magma that never fully clicked with me.

Funny, it's the only Magma track that fully clicks with me LOL
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 15:16
Focus is a wonderful track, nice melodies and dynamics and all, very pleasant, but there is a lot more of the same things going on in Kobaia, along with the occasional contrasting dissonance. For that, Magma gets my vote this time.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply