Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd: Meddle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd: Meddle
    Posted: October 17 2018 at 13:17
Come on, its Meddle. What's not to like? Smile
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 13:35
Seamus and A Pillow Of Winds but apart from that a great album!
I would have had Fearless follow One Of These Days...
If you didn't know what came after then Meddle is a great claim to Classic.
But when you hear what Classics they made afterwards, it comes down a few marks to very good.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 13:59
If I were to reach for some Floyd to spin, and it's not something I feel like doing even occasionally these days, it would be Meddle.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 14:15
Maybe their best.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 14:20
Perhaps it is my favourite Pink Floyd album over-all.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 15:12
Not my favorite PF album, but I like all the songs and even think the silly ones are cool (especially San Tropez).  The middle section of Echoes develops a little slow for my taste, but the excellent vocal sections that surround it make it worth the wait Wink
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 16:22
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Maybe their best.

No maybe about it.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 17:37
A fine album indeed - not my favourite Pink Floyd album, as there is the odd song that doesn't click with me. However, most of the tracks are up there with the best they ever did. Pity about the sound of the Kop, though. Spoils 'Fearless' for me - automatic skip track at the end!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
AliceBaldieDaughter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceBaldieDaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 17:45
I like all songs on this album, but I have to admit "St. Tropez" is a bit cheesy. I can't understand what people dislike about "Seamus" though; the song is utterly brilliant and the dog for sure has the blues.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 19:14
I find "San Tropez" kinda cute in a dorky sort of way. It sounds like Roger's laid back attempt at a soft-rock nugget to be played alongside Bread or Mungo Jerry. I used to wonder if, after "One of These Days" failed to chart as a single, if Roger said "SAN TROPEZ, MAN. It should'a been San Tropez. That was a hit right there...AM GOLD!"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 23:20
Of Course Echoes is one of the very best things they ever did. And whomever says Waters was Pink Floyd, and whomever minimizes Wrights contributions to the band, as far as I understand, the bulk of the song was written by Wright... or the spine of the song... and then the rest of the band came it to compete it. But this alone is enough to put Wright at the same level of importance as Waters and Gilmour. The rest of the album is nice enough... One of These Days is of course just wonderful too, but those two San Tropez and Seamus are sort of the odd ones that make the album more difficult to apreciate as a whole... though somehow I came to enjoy Madmoiselle Knobs (from Pompeii) better than Seamus.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 23:56
While Animals or DSOTM are my favorite Floyd albums, I consider Meddle to be one of the highest pinnacles of Prog and Space Rock in history. Echoes alone elevates it to that status.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 08:10
Strong album but not consistent enough to rank with their best.  I like it, but for me it sits well back of Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 08:54
Love it. I too have it as my fourth favorite PF album - behind Dark Side, WYWH and Animals.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 09:10
My third favourite PF album (after Wish You Were Here and Ummagumma) with my second favourite overall prog song (Echoes) on it.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 10:21
Echoes is one of these iconic things to define what music means to me and why I love it. I listened to it so often and it has never let me down. Maybe not "the best song of all time" because there are a few others about which I can say the same, but definitely a guiding light in my world.

I used to be rather critical of the other side but I have warmed to it a bit; One of These Days has always been cool and the Pillow of Winds is now also much appreciated; I'm still rarely in the modd to listen to the stuff after that.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 10:56

^ I was trying to ape what Paul McCartney said about the White Album "it's the Beatles, what's not to like" but I should have said "It's Meddle. How bad can it be?" But I also struggle through the rest of the other side except when I'm in one of my musical archeology modes. LOL

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 13:11
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

I find "San Tropez" kinda cute in a dorky sort of way. It sounds like Roger's laid back attempt at a soft-rock nugget to be played alongside Bread or Mungo Jerry.
San Tropez doesn't feel forced to me - like a band trying hard to achieve something. I compare it to a poet who's capable of writing lengthy epics but still enjoys writing a silly little lighthearted poem every once in a while. For fun, for inspiration or no particular reason at all... maybe it just sort of happened. 

Love all of Meddle and its become a favorite over the years and that's including Seamus (obviously... and why shouldn't I. Its wonderful)

Edited by Saperlipopette! - October 18 2018 at 13:13
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 13:35
The first Floyd album that I really got into...I had heard Umma Gumma and Atom Heart but they didn't hit me like Meddle. I didn't listen to Piper and Saucer.. until after hearing Meddle. Not sure why but no one I hung around with from 67 - 70 ever played those early albums.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 04:25
I was a bit slow getting into Floyd.  first time I heard Meddle was when I found a good condition LP of it going cheap in a 2nd record shop (how I miss the days of those being everywhere)  in Pitsea in the spring of 1993 when I was 24.
Took it home. played it. loved it and the journey of me discovering Floyd gained another chapter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>