Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Songs/Parts of Songs That Exemplify Jazz Fusion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs/Parts of Songs That Exemplify Jazz Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 03:56
He really must be a giant coltrane fan. At least ; D

Edit: No definitely Zeuhl. Listened right trough to the vocal section. If that isnt Zeuhl actually nothing is. xD

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - October 20 2018 at 03:59
USAGirl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 05:22
I think the singing on the Didier Malherbe track is much more inspired by South-American music than by Zeuhl. You often get this kind of "doo-doo" background vocals in South-American music.
Peace on Earth
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 06:15
going with a stone cold classic and one of the greatest fusion albums ever recorded. At the Fillmore East

The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
USAGirl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 06:36
"Bateau Vole" is French for "Flying Boat", by the way.
Peace on Earth
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 06:55
See the source image

Tish! You spoke French!

GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 10:30
Originally posted by USAGirl USAGirl wrote:

I think the singing on the Didier Malherbe track is much more inspired by South-American music than by Zeuhl. You often get this kind of "doo-doo" background vocals in South-American music.

It is Fusion with the very Coltrane like harmonies, it is steady pulsing (tribal) also the piano is jazz atypical totally repetitive and the only use is the zeuhl (of course inspired by Coltrane but used much more frequently and hypnotically moving than in one of his works) like bass following chord progression, the bass line is rough and erupting, the drums are so free and cymbal heavy (ok not sure if it is really cymbals cause my drum knowledge isnt the best) but I hope you know what I mean if I say: Metallic manic ringing plinging. Also the drums donīt leave much air. The singing is tribal chants that follow fast rumpling crescendo stop start sections and also zeuhl like (though yeah not exactly but pretty surely inspired by) if you will but not that important.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 11:43
Anything from the first two Mahavishnu Orchestra albums...........
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 12:18

I would prefer "Boat Flies", literal translation and actually much more "poetic" IMHO
USAGirl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 12:43
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

I would prefer "Boat Flies", literal translation and actually much more "poetic" IMHO

Yes, but I did not choose that translation because in English it could be misunderstood as if it were a translation of "mouches de bateau".

My job is being an interpreter for the EU, and as such it is vitally important to avoid misunderstandings. This has become second nature for me.

"Flying Boat" would of course be "Bateau Volant".

Edited by USAGirl - October 20 2018 at 13:00
Peace on Earth
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 12:53
Ok I must apologize my last sentence didnīt make sense at all : o
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 15:45
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

^Those last two links are fantastic. I listened 2-3 times each. Keep 'em coming!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 16:35
^I'm anywhere the words "Brian Auger" show up!
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 17:04
I feel the end of Penny Hitch from Soft Machine's "Seven" could qualify?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 18:57

Any of these fine by me... I actually like both of these pointers. I'm not the best expert for categorisation but the album as a whole and enough time of that song are exemplary jazz fusion to me. Maybe exemplary in the sense "this is how it *also* can sound."
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 20:57
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

One section of Gates Of Delirium have some fusion flavor in it.

Really? I hear it in soundchaser but not so much Gates. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12