Poll Question: Pick your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
40 [61.54%]
25 [38.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 03:05
Opeth
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 06:03
Can gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 09:38
Can all the way.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 09:51
Opeth surely. Growling or not they are great.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 14:34
Last day to vote
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 15:00
Pleased to see Can leading comfortably...Although Opeth are OK
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 15:08
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Last day to vote

for what it worth.. I got a call from my chief finger breaker today and asked me if i might be needing his particular talents anytime soon.  I checked the results here and told him.. nah... shame it seems you aren't getting a chance to meet him. Lovely guy.. always has a smile on his face.. even when working...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 18:14
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Last day to vote

for what it worth.. I got a call from my chief finger breaker today and asked me if i might be needing his particular talents anytime soon.  I checked the results here and told him.. nah... shame it seems you aren't getting a chance to meet him. Lovely guy.. always has a smile on his face.. even when working...

Hahah, 29-20 now. Call him and tell him to have his special kit prepaired for tomorrow. Just in case...
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 19:24
I like Can a lot so slam dunk vote for me here. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 21:36
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I still wish for a full metal album from Opeth without growling, though.

last three albums, there are no growls. 

But they don't really have all that much metal in them either. I guess some songs on the last one are the closest they have got since they dropped growling.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 01:27
I feel like Can tend to be a bit too much groove with too little direction, while Opeth goes too many directions with a complete lack of groove... I will definitely vote for Can though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 03:21
Poll is closed. Can advances to quarterfinals. Final score: 31-20
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 05:29
I looked at some of the reviews of cans supposed masterwork taco mago When I see the word experimental...I know to steer well clear! Can't see how a bunch on non musicians just making noises can be better than Opeth...oh well each to his own...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 05:35
you really need to listen to Soon Over Babaluma..  what I consider their masterpiece...especially the 2nd side.   It is the prefect distillation of what Can was all about. IMO everything those previous albums worked their way up to.. which is why I suppose they make such a dramatic stylistic shift after the album. 

They had finally found perfection and I think it was losing Damo that was the cataylst.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 06:00
Non musicians!? Schmidt and Leibezeit had classical training. Besides, Tago Mago is just as divisive as Tangerine Dream's Zeit is. Future Days and Soon Over Babaluma are much better starting points.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 06:01
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I looked at some of the reviews of cans supposed masterwork taco mago When I see the word experimental...I know to steer well clear! Can't see how a bunch on non musicians just making noises can be better than Opeth...oh well each to his own...

Experimental, oooh baaaaad.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 06:33
OK, I can understand not liking Can (sorry for the unintended pun :-)) or experimental music in general, but calling them non-musician is really far off the mark. That rhythm section is just out of this world! Just listen to  "Halleluwah". Groove in spades!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 09:19
Non musician was possibly a tad too detrimental. I will amend to experimental musician..I am not too fond of Zeit either..I do have that on vinyl...played when I was stoned in my youth...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 09:22
Mind you the sound of my gerbils squeaking and scuttling sounded good when I was stoned....as did the washing machine..
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 15:35
Opeth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>