Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Frank Zappa-Wobbler
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Frank Zappa-Wobbler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Pick your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
43 [60.56%]
28 [39.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 13:19
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The put a saucepan on my head and hit it with a wooden spoon enthusiasts will win this vote as well...

Yes, too many of the old prog fans who liked classic prog have given up on this site.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 13:28
I like all of Wobbler's lp's......the new one is fantastic,  but we are talking about Zappa ....and in the end he has a larger and better catalog at this point. 
Maybe in 5 years we can see how they compare.
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 13:36
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Zappa all the way to the finals Wink

Will depends which bands the op wanted to see in the finals.

Band X had more votes than band Y but the comments for band Y were more suitable to me so they will win the cheesy world cup.

Said the man with the cheesy ninja-turtle -like avatar (btw, you do have an active participation in these threads for a person who considers this as cheesy)

Cheesy ninja-turtle?  Don't say that too loud or that ninja-turtle's little nephew Shiro will gut us all with a samurai sword LOL
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 14:03
I am not the biggest fan of Uncle Frank but he has such a wide body of excellent, innovative, influential and high-quality music that I cannot vote the relative upstarts of Wobbler ahead of him.  FZ it is.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 14:11
Zappa yet again. 
Looking forward to seeing who he meets in the next round.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:02
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

The put a saucepan on my head and hit it with a wooden spoon enthusiasts will win this vote as well...

Yes, too many of the old prog fans who liked classic prog have given up on this site.

Today I was thinking that same thing. No more metalheads as well. Opeth would have kicked Can's ass five years ago here. Same Riverside with UZ.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:07
The migthy Frank Zappa.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:12
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Zappa yet again. 

We'll see. In the meantime I can say that the rest of the pairings for quarterfinals are the following:

PFM- Focus
Yes- Univers Zero
Can- Rush
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:30

Today I was thinking that same thing. No more metalheads as well. Opeth would have kicked Can's ass five years ago here. Same Riverside with UZ.

Well Opeth is one thing. But prog overall, prog metal is alive and well in my collection and rotation.  

Had Dream Theater or Fates Warning been the representative from the U.S., I'd gladly ride either of them much further than I'd stick with Zappa... at least until they ran into Yes or Rush.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:52

Zappa yet again. 

We'll see. In the meantime I can say that the rest of the pairings for quarterfinals are the following:

PFM- Focus
Yes- Univers Zero
Can- Rush

Well I guess that's the end for UZ and Can, that's a pity.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:07
I don't know anything about this 'Wobbler' .. but 62 albums and most of it high quality, that's a win against anyone in my book. Go Frank, take this thing. 
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:11

Absolutely. Neither would have been close.

It's recently become almost a RIO/Avant site, not a classic prog site. I haven't noticed Universe Zero being asked to play NEARfest or Night of the Prog (where Riverside have played 4 times).

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:13
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Zappa yet again. 

PFM- Focus
Yes- Univers Zero
Can- Rush

Neither of them would have been anywhere near the quarter finals 5 years ago.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:21

Zappa yet again. 

PFM- Focus
Yes- Univers Zero
Can- Rush

For UZ, quite likely. I wouldn't be that confident as regards the other pairing. Bubu, which is on paper an inferior competitor than Can, put up some real fight against Rush last round. We'll see.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:34

It's recently become almost a RIO/Avant site, not a classic prog site. I haven't noticed Universe Zero being asked to play NEARfest or Night of the Prog (where Riverside have played 4 times).

Less active members participating as well. Look at the results of one of the similar polls I held 7 years ago. 58-57

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:37

*spits beer on monitor*

wooo hooo!!!

hahah.... NOW .. finally.. this World Cup is geting interesting...

enter all the butt hurt losers and their loser fans...LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:42

Zappa yet again. 

PFM- Focus
Yes- Univers Zero
Can- Rush

ahh... take note of the losers and crybabies.. entertaining but they are right. This is not the same site it once was that acne scarred and pussy challenged prog fans run amuk with their Rush and DT fandom.

remember what happened Rush got matched up against a great group, but complete underdog.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100456

Rush got bitchslapped and as a plus.. we did get one of the great forum quotes EVER!!!

"I had no idea there were so many Le Orme fans here.

C'MON GUYZ IT'S RUSH GEEZ

Where was Le Orme when you were squeezing pimples in your teenage bathroom, looking for guidance to summon the courage to approach that pretty girl in your class?  Who but Neil Peart could give you the courage to say THE HELL WITH GIRLS I'M GONNA WITHDRAW INTO MY FANTASY WORLD ?

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

*spits beer on monitor*

wooo hooo!!!

hahah.... NOW .. finally.. this World Cup is geting interesting...

enter all the butt hurt losers and their loser fans...LOL

Hahaha, now I take it personal and feel the need to set the record straight. In my case, of course I voted Opeth against Can. But I also went with UZ against Riverside.

I do come back to Out Of Myself and SLS from time to time. But they bored the hell out of me after those releases. While I never get tired of Heresie, Uzed, Heatwave, etc.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:56
oh ohhh...  I sense a disturbance in the force coming ...  this ought to be good...
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:56

Ehm.... http://https://www.setlist.fm/festival/2004/nearfest-2004-3d6a117.html

It actually was UZ's first appearance in the US - the second being their legendary show at the French Embassy in September 2010, with Miriodor as openers. As you can see from this 2004 lineup, one of NEARfest's strengths was its varied lineups. In 2006, your beloved Riverside shared the stage with Guapo, among others. In my opinion, the really great festivals - such as NEARfest, ProgDay and Progtoberfest in Chicago - offer a wide range of sounds that can appeal to different kinds of people.

Anyway, since UZ were formed in the late Seventies, I believe they were closer to the classic prog era than the likes of Riverside or Big Big Train.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>