Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Concerts Missed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concerts Missed
    Posted: October 25 2018 at 11:30
Just a list of shows not attended that would have enhanced my life immensely. A little rote, sure, with no mention of some of the littler acts touring through the years. The ones listed were a good place to start, and I'm sure I missed a few others in the endeavor. By the way, thanks to Setlist.fm.

1. Yes, Fragile Tour, San Diego Sports Arena, 03/18/72 - With Bruford in tow, even. Classic era for the band.
2. Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Tour, Balboa Stadium (now demolished), 09/01/73 - Heard it was
    a real party.
3. George Harrison and Ravi Shankar, Dark Horse Tour, The Forum, Inglewood, Calif., 11/11-12/1974 - Would
    have been a great chance to see the former Beatle. Those who went said it was epic.
4. Frank Zappa, 1974 4th American Tour, Long Beach Arena, 12/31/1974 - A rare West Coast outing that
    should have been a station of the cross to catch. Damn.
5. Genesis, 'Lamb Lies Down On Broadway Tour, Civic Theater, San Diego, Calif., 01/25/75 - Crowd apathy
    was reported by a few I knew who were there to the point that one could walk up to the front of the stage
    by mid-point and watch the band close up.
6. Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here Tour, San Diego Sports Arena, 04/21/75 - If you weren't there, use your
    imagination.
7. Peter Gabriel, Car Tour, The Roxy Theater, Los Angeles, Calif., 04/8-10/77 - He was said to be dancing on
    tabletops. Saw him there the following year, but it only served to remind me of this missed opportunity.
8. Genesis, 'Trick of the Tail Tour, San Diego Sports Arena, 05/03/76 - Oh, to have seen this show (with
    Bruford in tow). Probably the band at its musically live zenith.
9. Genesis, Wind and Wuthering Tour, San Diego Sports Arena, 03/26/77 - The last chance to see Hackett
    with his old bandmates.
10. Pink Floyd, Animals Tour, Anaheim Stadium, 05/06-07/77 - That's right. The one with the floating pig.
      According to many fans, a big year for the Floyds. Could have gone, but I didn't have the scratch at the
      time and had to be content with a few attending buddies who really rubbed it in later.

Honorable Mention: Led Zeppelin, 1977 North American Tour, San Diego Sports Arena, 06/19/77 - the last
      time the band hit the West Coast. And if you missed this date, you could travel north to The Forum a
      couple of nights later where the band played six dates.

Edited by Rednight - October 25 2018 at 11:36
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 12:12
My prog concert history began in '76 with seeing Gentle Giant/Yes at the Cow Palace and just about every major prog tour that passed through the SF bay area after that through the early 80's, here's the one's I always wish I could have seen:

1) King Crimson - Cow Palace 1974
2) Yes - Tales Tour - Winterland Ballroom 1974 (imagine seeing Tales in a 5000 seat venue!  Same place I saw the Wind & Wuthering tour in '77)
3) Genesis - The Lamb tour - Berkeley Community Theater 1974
4) ELP - BSS tour - SF Civic 1974 (just a couple months before the California Jam)
5) Tull - Passion Play tour - Berkeley Community Theater 1973
6) UK - debut album tour - Sacramento 1978 (saw the Danger Money tour in '79 when they opened for Tull at the Oakland Arena)

Missed the Floyd Animals tour...tix went on sale on a school day and they sold out almost immediately.  I was at the Sunday (final) US Led Zep show at the Oakland Coliseum, July '77.  They were awful...not surprising though for those who know the history of those final 2 Oakland shows.  Peter Grant, Bonzo, Richard Cole and John Bindon were arrested for assault after the Saturday show.  After release on bail, Peter Grant demanded an extra $50,000 in cash from Bill Graham and that he sign a letter holding LZ harmless from all damages before going on Sunday, Graham paid to avoid a riot, LZ came on about 3 hours late, a windy day blew the sound around and LZ clearly wanted to be anywhere but on that stage.  After the show Plant learned his son had just died.  Crazy day Wacko
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 16:38
I had tickets for Led Zeppelin at the Pontiac Silverdome. Then John Bonham died. That's all I have to say about that.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 17:43
Hi,

Can't say I have missed a lot, but a couple of things here and there stand out ... 

1. Seventh Wave ... visited Hollywood with 7 keyboard players. I really wanted to see that and experience the incredible sound they had on their two albums. I can imagine the bombastic opening from their first album already!

2. Led Zep ... I think on their last legs in Santa Barbara. I was busy at the University and directing a show that same weekend. I got a great review for my show, and Led Zep did not!

3. Fairport Convention ... in Santa Barbara on the open air to boot, with Loggins and Messina, I think. Of course everyone thought that FC was bad, but I wish I had the chance to have seen that. It was also just weeks before Sandy Denny passed away, I think.

4. The Doors ... in Madison, WI in 1968, I think it was ... 

All in all, I can not say that I missed the majority of things I wanted to see, although I wish I could have afforded to go see Jean Michel Jarre recently here in Seattle or San Francisco, don't remember which, but other than that, I never bothered to go see Frank Zappa despite the great music and many albums, because I simply did not like his attitude at times, but the videos I see nowadays, make me wish I had gone to see one of the shows.

A couple of other odd ditties ... missed the original "Rocky Horror Picture Show" at the famous place, but did see "Hair" at the original Aquarius Theater, and 2001 at the famous cinerama Dome with its 180 degree screen, and bucket seats. That was kinda better than most dope at the time, mind you!

I would have liked to experience Janis Joplin on stage, but her famous drunken shows, so many of which were video'd and almost all of them not shown a whole lot, and Jimi's free form stuff, that a band like Guru Guru took off on, and left Jimi behind to do some stupid blues, that do not show up his abilities and freedom as the freer material could, and his family will not release that weird stuff because they can't handle it, and they think it's just noise!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 18:24
1) I'm gutted not to have seen Cardiacs as long as Tim Smith was still fine. This would have been possible even during my time in London but somehow they were off my radar for some time and when I got into them again it was just too late. Cry
2) When Kate Bush played her 2014 London shows I was pretty much at it from the first minute for getting tickets... yet no success.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 18:31
I've had a few concert 'Doh!' moments.   Satch '89 in S.F. at his peak period, my buddy recorded it so at least I have that.   The one that really hurts is Crimson in '82 for the Discipline tour.   Ouch.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
USAGirl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 18:36
I missed so many concerts I would have liked to attend because I was born 1983.

Edited by USAGirl - October 25 2018 at 18:40
Peace on Earth
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 19:24
so many...

Triumvirat with BTO and Bob Seger at the Montreal Forum on August 16th, 1975, one of only two times Triumvirat played in Canada-for me, it would have been the concert of a lifetime! I never discovered the band until the 80s, so missed out on this

Mahogany Rush and Moxy at the NAC in Ottawa in the summer of 1976, when those two bands were at the top of their game

Mahavishnu Orchestra at the Ottawa Civic Center in 1973

Accept opening for Motley Crue at the Ottawa Civic Center in 1984, don't like the Crue, but think Accept were pretty cool back then

Gentle Giant in 1976 in Ottawa

PFM on the Chocolate Kings tour at the NAC in Ottawa

Earl Johnson Band in Montreal in the early 1980s

PFM when they played a high school in Ottawa in the mid 70s

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 19:38
Mainly bands I didn't know about when they were active or situations prevented. 

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - meant to see them twice but life got in the way
Cardiacs - didn't know them when active, must have toured where I was dozens of times
Henry Cow - born too late
Vezhlivy Otkaz - never been to Russia
Hatfield & The North - didn't know about them before they broke up 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 14:28
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Tull - Passion Play tour - Berkeley Community Theater 1973
6) UK - debut album tour - Sacramento 1978 (saw the Danger Money tour in '79 when they opened for Tull
'Tull's A Passion Play show was my first concert, and it was entrancing. Took a then girl friend to the 1979 Danger Money show, and after UK had finished the opening set, I whisked her out of her seat and said we were leaving, having heard 'Tull's Stormwatch with no great want to see it played live. Admittedly, a mistake, because it was the last live go-round for the majority of the classic line-up (Anderson, Barlow, Barre, and Evans [Jeffrey Hammond had departed in 1975]). Chalk it up for another missed show.

Edited by Rednight - November 01 2018 at 14:29
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 14:49
I missed an opportunity to see Mark 2 Deep Purple in 1973 because I had a dentist's appointment!!!

Missed seeing Neal Morse on his recent acoustic tour playing in my home town because I was ill.

I'd have loved to have seen Dire Straits live but never managed to.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 15:15
I never saw Led Zeppelin or the Beatles but other than that I've seen most bands I wanted to. 

Pink Floyd -1988 The Momentary Lapse of Reason tour(Veterans Stadium Philadelphia PA). I bought a ticket to see them but didn't feel like going by myself so I sold the ticket to a guy on my lacrosse team. There's probably nothing I regret more than doing that. I don't even think the guy paid me what I paid. I never had another opportunity to see them unfortunately. 

Opeth -2006? Not really sure what year. I decided to drive down to see Opeth but I didn't buy a ticket in advance and couldn't get a ticket when I got there. I was wearing my Porcupine Tree t shirt too(not that that matters). I'm not really sure what year that was but I'll guess it was maybe 2006. They were pretty big at that point and I think they sold out the venue(TLA in Philly). 

Not sure what else off the top of my head.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 01 2018 at 15:29
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 15:17
I never made the effort to see Rush, which s a bummer
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 15:19
Wish I had made some sort of effort to see Adam Ant on the Vive Le Rock tour in 1985
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 15:20
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I never saw Led Zeppelin or the Beatles but other than that I've seen most bands I wanted to. 

Pink Floyd -1988 The Momentary Lapse of Reason tour. I bought a ticket to see them but didn't feel like going by myself so I sold the ticket to a guy on my lacrosse team. There's probably nothing I regret more than doing that. I don't even think the guy paid me what I paid. I never had another opportunity to see them unfortunately. 

Opeth -2006? Not really sure what year. I decided to drive down to see Opeth but I didn't buy a ticket in advance and couldn't get a ticket when I got there. I was wearing my Porcupine Tree t shirt too(not that that matters). I'm not really sure what year that was but I'll guess it was maybe 2006. They were pretty big at that point and I think they sold out the venue(TLA in Philly). 

Not sure what else off the top of my head.

Ok, it looks like for Opeth the show I missed was on October 31st 2005. According to that set list site that was the only time they played at that venue so that must have been it. 

As for PF I did see Roger Waters a year ago but still not the same as seeing PF. same thing with the Machine(cover band)who I saw a couple of times.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 01 2018 at 15:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 15:27
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

I never made the effort to see Rush, which s a bummer

I've seen Rush four times but that's not even half the number of times I wish I saw them. I saw them in 87 then a huge twenty year gap before seeing them again. I was fortunate to have seen them on their apparently last tour though(same thing with Black Sabbath).
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 16:41
Bowie. I could have seen him many times, but life...
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 17:07
Two come to mind ...

1. Leprous came here two years ago with Dissona ... would have been a cool gig, I just didn't go, decided I wasn't that huge into them, then a week later their music _really_ connected with me.

2. When I was in London last year, Zeal & Ardour played a show with Pryapisme ... I was working NA hours and had to take calls during the time the show was taking place 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 17:45
Well, as my first concert was during the Rainbow Rising UK tour of 1976, practically any of the classic rock and prog rock tours before that time would fit the bill - with Genesis, Yes, ELP, Floyd, Camel, Strawbs, Purple, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Free. The Who, etc. at their absolute peak. Saw practically all of those after that, including Knebworth 79 - but suitably envious of those who caught the late sixties and early seventies tours. Still - on the positive side, I'm a decade younger, meaning I'm able to stand without a zimmer frame to enjoy many great modern rock and prog bands and the revival of many classic bands too (and a host of excellent tribute bands, as well)
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 03:52
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

I missed an opportunity to see Mark 2 Deep Purple in 1973 because I had a dentist's appointment!!!

I walked out of the Deep Purple show, because it was too loud and they were on a bad night, going in every directions, instead of together with some great material.

The highlight of the night was after that ... Leon Russell! He made Deep Purple sound like a high school band trying to tell you they can play ABC and 123!

At the time, my decisions to go see a concert by a "famous" band, was defined by the bootlegs. Bands like The Rolling Stones" had a lot of them, but the music was bland, and not even good. Led Zep had the energy that you can not buy a ticket for ... that good. Genesis, when it first toured America, had 2 boots out in late 1974 and the music was totally out of it, and not in sync, and I thought ... why is it so bad? It wasn't until later that they got better on stage. I think they were trying to do too much to make it better. I would have liked to see PFM, and was not able to due to the University work, and the only one that I did not get to see was ELP, mainly because by the time I took an interest in seeing them live, they already were about the show and not the music anymore ... and I decided it was not worth it ... and the bootlegs around did not show that they were that good on stage.

None of these, btw, would I ever even bother to compare, for example, to seeing CHICAGO in Madison, or Milwaukee between 68 and 71. There was no such thing as a bad show of theirs, and they would just rock the heck out of your brains! The only bad thing is that their bootlegs were not that great because their stage was so wide and spread out that you could not get your microphone or cassette to pick everything up ... and in those days, no one took boots off the board, which is how its done nowadays!

Edited by moshkito - November 03 2018 at 03:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>