Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Yes- Univers Zero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Yes- Univers Zero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Pick your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
44 [68.75%]
20 [31.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 20:50
I'm sure this 'Univers Zero' is terrific but look at my username and you know automatically who I'm voting for. Plus, as others have said in previous threads, when you think classic 70's prog the first band most people think of is Yes. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 23:57
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Tales from Topographic Oceans is 50 orders of magnitude better than anything UZ have done....

Exactly how much UZ have you heard to make such a definitive and extravagant statement? 

ENOUGH! I HAVE their highest rated CD. Not my cup of tea...But I suppose that's the hook for the lovers of UZ. If they sounded like yes they would hate them! Non overlapping magisterias...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 00:15
Love me some Yes.   Voted the Zeroes.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 04:11
The avant rate has increased since the beginning of the site I guess.

Very nice made me listen to some UZ. Never heard them for some reason. Love the strawinsky and bela bartok influence never heard this combination so fitting and easily recognizable.

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - October 28 2018 at 04:12
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 05:54
11 votes? Damn... this site IS changing hahah.  I would have take any bet that they didn't reach 10.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 06:24
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

11 votes? Damn... this site IS changing hahah.  I would have take any bet that they didn't reach 10.

Those 11 votes will be enough to drive away any remaining fans of anything not sounding like saucepans hit by wooden spoonsLOL!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 06:29
baby steps darlin'....  the revelation is still going on.. plenty of time to take control and send the remaining 'prog fan' to reeducation camps.. or simply put them against the wall.... remember.. until a few years ago I was 'that guy' who dismissed that progressive stuff as tuneless and talentless.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:13
Oh man, I think you got brainwashed by your heart Micky. Didn´t expect something like that from you.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:21

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Tales from Topographic Oceans is 50 orders of magnitude better than anything UZ have done....

Exactly how much UZ have you heard to make such a definitive and extravagant statement? 

ENOUGH! I HAVE their highest rated CD. Not my cup of tea...But I suppose that's the hook for the lovers of UZ. If they sounded like yes they would hate them! Non overlapping magisterias...

As I said previously, I like both bands a lot, plenty of overlap. Prog can be a broad church
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:24
Nothing against people voting for UZ if that's what they genuinely like.  I'm partial to a bit of avant garde stuff now and then.
But the idea that RIO/Avant is somehow more important to Prog Rock than the classic prog bands like Yes, Genesis, King Crimson etc... is frankly laughable.

The statistics speak for themselves. 

UZ's highest rated album on this site (Heresie):
278 ratings 22 reviews 50% 5 stars

Yes's highest rated album on this site (Close to the Edge):
4,168 ratings 504 reviews 79% 5 stars

By all means champion RIO/Avant if that's your thing, but claiming that it's more important to Prog Rock than the classic 70's bands is simply ludicrous

Songs cast a light on you
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:40
Just curious... Who said that UZ are more important to Prog than YesConfused? I don't remember seeing anything like that in this thread or anywhere else. That being said, these polls - which should be fun, but are taken way too seriously by some people - are based on personal taste rather than any objective factors such as a band's importance in the development of a genre. I'd never claim that UZ are more influential than Yes, because this would not be true, but I may decide to vote for them because I like them better.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:42
Yeah, I don't see any posts from the Avant heads claiming UZ are more significant, that would be laughable. It's personal preference between two bands I love, I rate them A+ & A.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:56
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Oh man, I think you got brainwashed by your heart Micky. Didn´t expect something like that from you.

granted my post was tongue in check.. as are most of my posts.  However I'll take yours at face value...  impressed you've taken the time to form an opinion of me. But you misread me completely. One of my favorite and guiding quotes of life....

'Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will strong to live as well as think' Ralph Waldo Emerson

my heart and soul rules me, not my brain and have the glorious expiences and mistakes to prove it. Life has not cheated me haha.  As well as my greatest moment in throwing away one life to have another with Raff, as she did with me. As far as music  I've spent a career here railing and raging against the often stilly and stupid ham-handed attempts by musos to over-intellectualize music. Prog at its best doesn't engage the mind,  that is what books are for,  prog at its best can engage the heart and soul like no other music but classical can.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 08:35
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Just curious... Who said that UZ are more important to Prog than YesConfused? I don't remember seeing anything like that in this thread or anywhere else.

It's not explicitly stated but its implied by the statement that classic prog fans (presumably meaning those who like Yes, Genesis, etc... should be "driven from the site", presumably leaving avant garde fans in peace to dominate the site.

Based on that position they must logically consider Avant garde to be more important to the site (and therefore to Prog Rock) than the classic bands
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 08:37
Happy to see you answer to such a provocative text. Don´t know many members yet, but you polarize a little. And I don´t think I misread you entirely, just trying to be a little funny. To say the least it was already clear that you were a person going strong on emotions. ... Losing somehow focus I wanna add that I think that the mind can be a strong part in Emotion too and I guess thats why I also think that prog is a very overwhelmingly emotional music. For my feeling prog has that almost religious aspect of something more or hidden. It´s very romantic.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 08:47
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Just curious... Who said that UZ are more important to Prog than YesConfused? I don't remember seeing anything like that in this thread or anywhere else.

It's not explicitly stated but its implied by the statement that classic prog fans (presumably meaning those who like Yes, Genesis, etc... should be "driven from the site", presumably leaving avant garde fans in peace to dominate the site.

Based on that position they must logically consider Avant garde to be more important to the site (and therefore to Prog Rock) than the classic bands

It is a joke, based on what another forum member wrote in another thread a few days ago. Sorry anyone thought I was seriously advocating for anyone who does not share my tastes (which are way wider-ranging than you might suppose) should be driven off the site.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 08:50
^ nice post.  I can agree in large part with that. Beer and yeah I have been slightly polarizing and divisive.. since the day I joined the site.  I didn't find out till some years later than when I recruited to come over to this site and help whip it into shape my elevation to collab split the old classic admin team in half and only got in via tiebreaker hahah.  Best compliment I ever got from an admin was being compared to a rattlesnake..  that when you come across Micky you either run or try to shoot it dead but you don't stupidly poke it with a stick and antagonize it. 
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:02

[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

It is a joke, based on what another forum member wrote in another thread a few days ago. Sorry anyone thought I was seriously advocating for anyone who does not share my tastes (which are way wider-ranging than you might suppose) should be driven off the site.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying Raff. I was a bit disturbed by the statement but now understand you were joking.

Always enjoy healthy debate but I always like to respect the right of others to have a different opinion.

Vive la difference!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:10
^ French is prohibited here. You have been warned.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:12
^ give up man..  you are too nice to be admin material
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>