Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Yes- Univers Zero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Yes- Univers Zero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Pick your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
44 [68.75%]
20 [31.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Yes- Univers Zero
    Posted: October 27 2018 at 06:24
Pick your favourite.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:07
Univers Zero
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Univers Zero

Do you want to drive away the few remaining forum posters WinkLOL?

As I like both bands, I need to think about it for a bit. However, I suspect I will end up voting for UZ, who will need all the love we can get in this poll.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:17
hard vote.... like my better half.. will sit on it.

Obviously have a much longer history with Yes, but it would be great to see an upset and see some forumites completely lose their sh*t.

f**k it... UZ gets the vote.  

Bassoons rule.. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:25
I like Yes a lot, them and Genesis were the first bands that got me into prog. CTTE is probably the closest to an album that defines prog. Their run of TYA to Drama only includes one weak album. They are one of the pillars prog stands on. 

But I have 12 UZ albums and consider them all excellent, they were one of the original bands that defined the sub-genre that has dominated my listening for the last decade and in Ceux Du Dehors have released my favorite album.

So the edge goes to the band with the bassoon.
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:30
ClapBeer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:44
There's really not much of progressive rock I enjoy more than Univers Zero's three first albums (when they were more chamber and less rock) - and I've never heard anything by them I couldn't enjoy to some extent.

I can easily hear that Yes' string of classic albums are brilliant and I enjoy them when I'm in the mood but they were never personally that important to me. 

So a vote for UZ and yet another nail in the coffin for this dying forum.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 08:10
Yes, by a small margin.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 08:40
Seeing how Yes is one of my top two prog groups (and as much as I like Univers Zero, they are not the other one), this is a major no-brainer.  

It's fun to see the folks lobbying for the underdog though.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 08:55
Sorry UZ...
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 10:05
Yes is one of my favorite bands.
UZ, I can live without.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 10:56
Tales from Topographic Oceans is 50 orders of magnitude better than anything UZ have done....
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 12:04
Tales, Relayer, CTTE, Drama, Tormato, Fragile, Yessongs...UZ is cool, but no way can they compete with Yes.
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 12:06
Maybe I will get a fan of univers zero in the future but for now yes. I spotted a bolero like section in Dense, could be wrong but am interested if you can see from where I´m coming.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 12:19
Yes!

Not heard much of UZ but Yes have been a big part of my life since I was a teenager. Their classic albums are very close to my heart. No way I could vote for anyone else in this one.
Songs cast a light on you
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 12:24
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Tales from Topographic Oceans is 50 orders of magnitude better than anything UZ have done....

Exactly how much UZ have you heard to make such a definitive and extravagant statement? 
Ian

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 13:15
UZ
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 13:16
Yes is a prog totem. Nothing against UZ, a fine, fine band, but in a poll like this, my decision's instantaneous.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 16:30
Might as well give the cup to YES. Voted UZ.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 17:34
Yes! No justification necessary.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>