Poll Question: Pick your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [53.95%]
35 [46.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 03:43
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I don't know why anyone would be offended by someone basically stating "hey everyone look at at me I'm boring and have very limited tastes in music" 

Come on. If you are going to insult me. Please do better than "boring"...ANYWAYS since I have a music collection of several thousand Cds how is that limited...I have tried lots of avant stuff Possibly 50 or so CDs but none have blown me away. Perhaps I need to listen to some it when pissed...
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 04:44
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The start of 2112....I'd rather listen to that on a three hour loop....but then if rush would have done that...The wooden spoon mob would be saying that It was the best track ever....
Laughable. No wonder nobody can take us prog fans seriously.
Word.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 06:06
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I don't know why anyone would be offended by someone basically stating "hey everyone look at at me I'm boring and have very limited tastes in music" 

Come on. If you are going to insult me. Please do better than "boring"...ANYWAYS since I have a music collection of several thousand Cds how is that limited...I have tried lots of avant stuff Possibly 50 or so CDs but none have blown me away. Perhaps I need to listen to some it when pissed...
"Boring" is more than insulting enough imo but if you don't mind - good for you. I was only aiming for a mild insult anyway. And of course a collection of several thousand CD's can still be limited and samey.   
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 06:16
Taste in music is highly subjective. What's boring to one is exciting to another. If someone were to consider my taste in music to be boring, it doesn't matter one whit to me. I like what I like. Or, depending on my mood, I might simply tell them to go f**k themselves. That's always very satisfying. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 07:05
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Taste in music is highly subjective. What's boring to one is exciting to another. If someone were to consider my taste in music to be boring, it doesn't matter one whit to me. I like what I like. Or, depending on my mood, I might simply tell them to go f**k themselves. That's always very satisfying. 
I like tons of music now that I once didn't like. Don't you? Why is that that your favorite music from when you were a child isn't your favorite music anymore? To "like what you like" is to stagnate. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 08:13

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Taste in music is highly subjective. What's boring to one is exciting to another. If someone were to consider my taste in music to be boring, it doesn't matter one whit to me. I like what I like. Or, depending on my mood, I might simply tell them to go f**k themselves. That's always very satisfying. 
I like tons of music now that I once didn't like. Don't you? Why is that that your favorite music from when you were a child isn't your favorite music anymore? To "like what you like" is to stagnate. 

It's interesting that you interpreted my 'like what you like' comment as being stagnant which is not what I meant. Of course tastes change but it's still all subjective and personal to the individual. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 08:38
^I'd say its the natural interpretation of that statement but it was also made in the extension of Barney's kinda lame comments. I "got" all the music he digs decades ago and now I "get" much more. That sounds snobby to him and maybe you I guess but I think its as natural as enjoying J.K Rowling before Louis-Ferdinand Céline. But I'm also just procrastinating by writing slightly unsympathetic comments to strangers on a messageboard.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 08:50
Well then, let me clarify.
By saying, I like what I like, I mean that it's a reflection of my tastes and my preferences at a moment in time. If someone doesn't agree with that or wants to call that boring or whatever, f**k them. It's not meant to imply the stagnation of only liking the music I liked 10 or 20 or 30 or whatever years ago.

I like lots of stuff I never even knew about when I was a teenager and some of the stuff I listened to back then I wouldn't choose to listen to now. Tastes change. Preferences change but what doesn't change is the abstract idea of "I like what I like." I like what I like meant one thing when I was 15. It meant something else when I was 35. It means something else today. It will likely mean something else 10 years from now.

Edited by Jeffro - October 31 2018 at 08:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 09:40
^ Sure I get that. Some things like modern drone-music I'm quite certain it'll never click with me. And its not because its very advanced-or that I'm a too unexperienced listener. I''m quite certain of that. But then there's avantgarde music that once felt like very uncomfortable noise made with instruments - or a cat walking over the keyboard of a piano, that I've grown to love and even obsess with. Now that I've heard literally all kinds of music in all genres from all over the world and all times - I'm more capable of listening to the occasional genius that can be found there.  
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 12:32
Rush
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 01:41
How can Rush be ahead of Can?  This is a prog forum, isn't it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123