Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Renbourn - Finally included on PA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Renbourn - Finally included on PA
    Posted: October 29 2018 at 00:22
So good to see John Renbourn finally included on PA in the Prog-related category.

If you haven't heard any of his solo work. I recommend virtually all his instrumentals...not a great voice, however, better when he has other vocalists stepping in.

His 1985 album The Nine Maidens is IMHO a masterpiece with the 13:24 minute title track:

The Nine Maidens: Clarsach / The Nine Maidens / The Fiddler

one of the greatest pieces of acoustic guitar playing ever......extremely complex, melodic and ethereal.

Here it is below:

Edited by BarryGlibb - October 29 2018 at 00:27
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 03:59
The entire studio discography of Renbourn's is now included, so feel free to review a few of your favs.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 18:15
A truly amazing album for 1968 was Renbourn's Sir John Alot of Merrie Englandes Musyk Thyng and ye Grene Knyghte, a modern take on medieval tunes that is an astonishing and transformative album that really no one's ever heard of.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 19:12
that's pretty cool... haven't heard a none of his albums.  Then again it wasn't till Raff and I merged our collections and her love of Pentangle.. that I ever really heard to the group. Probably my favorite discovery from her side of the music spectrum.

any suggestions guys to be the first to check out...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 20:58
Nice...own very few (4 or 5) but all excellent. Stunning guitarist.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 04:06
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

that's pretty cool... haven't heard a none of his albums.  Then again it wasn't till Raff and I merged our collections and her love of Pentangle.. that I ever really heard to the group. Probably my favorite discovery from her side of the music spectrum.

Sure. For a Pentangle fan I'd start with the duet album that he did with Bert Jansch titled "Bert and John" which is mostly instrumental jazz/blues. For Renbourn's pseudo Elizabethan work I'd go with "Sir John Alot" and "The Nine Maiden" albums, and for folk/blues I'd go with "The Attic Tapes" and "Another Monday" or "Faro Annie".
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 10:35

My favorite is The Enchanted Garden...overall the album is OK, but includes The Plains of Waterloo which I think is his best song Wink
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 11:22
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

My favorite is The Enchanted Garden...overall the album is OK, but includes The Plains of Waterloo which I think is his best song Wink
To me The Enchanted Garden sound like a lost Pentangle-masterpiece. Line-up and their instruments should be enough to run out and buy

Snare [Drum] – Glen Tommy
Tabla, Finger Cymbals – Keshav Sathe
Vocals – Jacqui McShee
Vocals, Dulcimer [4 & 5-string], Mandolin, Whistle, Fiddle, Psaltery [Bowed], Spoons – John Molineux
Vocals, Flute, Whistle, Bagpipes [Cornemuse], Cymbal, Recorder, Glockenspiel [Sopranino, Descant, Tenor], Bass Clarinet, Harp [Swalamandala] – Tony Roberts
Vocals, Guitar, Harp [Swalamandala] – John Renbourn
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 14:03
^ I agree about the Enchanted Garden sounding like a Pentangle album but that side stepped the whole purpose of Renbourn having so many solo albums. His solo guitar playing is what the above videos showcase and that's really what was most dear to Renbourn. And for good reason. Behold this little slice of heaven:

Edited by SteveG - October 30 2018 at 14:08
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 14:58
Faro Annie has always been my favorite by Renbourn though I also enjoy....Sir John, Lady and Unicorn, 
Maid In Bedlam, and 9 Maidens...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 15:27
I remember some guitar-playing friends I had as a teenager mention John Renbourn, but for some reason I never got round to checking out his solo work. Thank you so much for the recommendations - we'll definitely get hold of some of these albums! They sound like something I would really enjoy.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 13:18

You're welcome, so here's one more for raff. From the album So Early In The Spring.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 13:30
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

To me The Enchanted Garden sound like a lost Pentangle-masterpiece. Line-up and their instruments should be enough to run out and buy

Snare [Drum] – Glen Tommy
Tabla, Finger Cymbals – Keshav Sathe
Vocals – Jacqui McShee
Vocals, Dulcimer [4 & 5-string], Mandolin, Whistle, Fiddle, Psaltery [Bowed], Spoons – John Molineux
Vocals, Flute, Whistle, Bagpipes [Cornemuse], Cymbal, Recorder, Glockenspiel [Sopranino, Descant, Tenor], Bass Clarinet, Harp [Swalamandala] – Tony Roberts
Vocals, Guitar, Harp [Swalamandala] – John Renbourn

And my fave Jacqui performance as well...

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 14:09

And to end on a cherry note, this drinking song featuring Jacqui is dedicated to the Crimson.King.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 19:22
thanks guys for the suggestions.. Much appreciated!!!!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 14:00
One of the best ever guitarists...along with Bert Jansch, of course, in this genre.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply