Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog song search

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nycfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog song search
    Posted: October 29 2018 at 00:41
I am looking to find out the song title and artist of a song I recorded from my radio when I was a teen      (mid-late 1970's) - Anyway I have been looking for this song most of my life. 

I have played the recording (which I no longer have) for dozens of so-called prog experts and no one seems to know the song or who recorded it. I've learned the bass line and I will record the bass line and post it here. 

The bass line is the main part of the song and it repeats in an ostinato fashion throughout the majority of the song.  
I am asking the collective knowledge of this forum for help! 

Is posting recordings allowed? 

Thank you all. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 00:50
Go for it, dude ~
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Nycfunk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nycfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 01:18
Thank you.
I will record the bass line in a couple of days and post it here. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 10:05
I'm curious to hear it, and to find out which song iy is.
Nycfunk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nycfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 03:07
https://soundcloud.com/user-959791765/mystery-song

Above is the SoundCloud address for the sloppy remake of this song I am trying to find. 

The bass in the original song starts off slow and speeds up as the song progresses. 

There are vocal chats that I tried to recreate. I think they are in German of some Scandinavian language that I can't identify. I have been searching German Prog bands on Youtube but so far I've come up empty. 

Please let me know if you've heard this song before.

Thank you all. 
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 05:58
Good sonic quality in your remake! Thumbs Up Hopefully someone here recognizes the song.

I think it has a Krautrockish vibe, could be something like CAN (I don't know their albums very thoroughly, and surely you have checked them already?).

... And the unidentified language isn't kobaïan?  Wink
Nycfunk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nycfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 12:15
OMG! OMG! OMG! THAT'S IT!!!!!!

MAGMA! That's the name of the group...And they're French 

Matti, I give you my most sincere gratitude - You are my absolute hero. 

Since I was 15 years old (I'm now 58. you do the math) I have taken a cassette recording of this song with me to record stores from New York - Washington - to Los Angeles and Frisco and no one has heard this song much less what group performed it.  

My lifelong quest is over. I have sampled over 500 or more Prog Rock songs on Youtube. I guess now I'll go back to them and really give them a listen. I got turned on to some incredible bands and artist. I'll also continue my membership to this Forum. Thank you, Thank you Thank you.

Just think - I did a pretty good rendition of a song I have not heard in over 20 years. 
For others to enjoy. This has been my Holy Grail for most of my life - https://youtu.be/kzlMw8jqv4k

Matti, I cannot thank you enough. 
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 23:56
^ Wow, I'm glad my post helped you!   Big smile   And I was actually just joking about kobaïan!

So, according to the Youtube clip it's the final part of 'De Futura' (from Üdü Wüdü, 1976).
I have listened to that album some years ago but I didn't rememeber the bass line.

Edited by Matti - October 31 2018 at 00:02
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 01:35
Originally posted by Nycfunk Nycfunk wrote:

OMG! OMG! OMG! THAT'S IT!!!!!!

MAGMA! That's the name of the group...And they're French 

Matti, I give you my most sincere gratitude - You are my absolute hero. 

Since I was 15 years old (I'm now 58. you do the math) I have taken a cassette recording of this song with me to record stores from New York - Washington - to Los Angeles and Frisco and no one has heard this song much less what group performed it.  

My lifelong quest is over. I have sampled over 500 or more Prog Rock songs on Youtube. I guess now I'll go back to them and really give them a listen. I got turned on to some incredible bands and artist. I'll also continue my membership to this Forum. Thank you, Thank you Thank you.

Just think - I did a pretty good rendition of a song I have not heard in over 20 years. 
For others to enjoy. This has been my Holy Grail for most of my life - https://youtu.be/kzlMw8jqv4k

Matti, I cannot thank you enough. 
Oh wow! That's fantastic! Now that you've found out you got a lot of music you can look forward to discover. Magma is one of the most uniquely brilliant bands ever - and with that De Futura-bassline Jannick Top practically created another genre within a genre (check out Weidorje, early Eider Stellaire, Eskaton's 4 Visions mm...). I'd say Magma's approach to Köhntarkösz part I & 2 (and Ork Alarm) is somewhat related to your solved mystery-track:

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 11:10
Originally posted by Nycfunk Nycfunk wrote:

I have played the recording (which I no longer have) for dozens of so-called prog experts and no one seems to know the song or who recorded it.  
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 12:18
Congratulations on discovering Magma! Clap
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Nycfunk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nycfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 03:01
I've enjoyed hearing other Magma songs and there are a couple (Zombies for instance) that are kickass. Christian Vander is a monster drummer. I see people are comparing him to Buddy Rich, but I think he plays more like Tony Williams. Jannick Top is unreal. As a bass player myself I can attest to the absolute remarkable fluidity he posses on bass. His technique somewhat reminds me of Tony Levin, but Jannick makes it all his own. 

Anyway thanks once again. All you guys have been great and I look forward to be turned on to others in this genre. 

Post Reply Post Reply