Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can anyone recommend music similar to. . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inquizitorphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can anyone recommend music similar to. . .
    Posted: October 29 2018 at 15:30
Can anyone recommend music similar to the first 20 seconds of this song? I have been told by a couple of people that it is very "proggy" and I'd like to hear more of it. I know the band and song are power metal; I just want more of the first 20 seconds. Especially the... "wobbly" guitar at around 13 seconds. Don't know how else to describe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuO8WqrqQI
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 09:15
The song you linked sounds like a cross between Duel with the Devil and Stranger in your Soul by Transatlantic to my ears.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 09:37
If you like that wobbly guitar sound, try "My Iron Lung" from Radiohead off of their "The Bends" album.  It's not necessarily prog, but it's still a cool effect.

Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 20:15
That "wobbly" sound (@ the 13 second mark) is made by using the volume knob on the guitar. Hit the note with the knob all the way in the off position, and then dial up the volume, the effect is usually referred to as "volume swells".

Alex Lifeson (Rush) on Xanadu uses this to great effect.
That's only one example, there are almost countless others.

Hope this helps.

Grace and peace, Jim (Cylli Kat)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 22:29
The one that comes to my mind is Dream Theater's "Pull me Under", mostly for that drumming. I guess some more Drean Theater, or Transatlantic as already mentioned, might have a bit more like that, but mostly Pull me Under.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 01:46
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

That "wobbly" sound (@ the 13 second mark) is made by using the volume knob on the guitar. Hit the note with the knob all the way in the off position, and then dial up the volume, the effect is usually referred to as "volume swells".

Alex Lifeson (Rush) on Xanadu uses this to great effect.
That's only one example, there are almost countless others.

Hope this helps.

Grace and peace, Jim (Cylli Kat)
Nice one! I know I've heard that effect many times elsewhere but can't remember exactly which tunes. Is it really a typical prog-thing though? Anyway Xanadu should hopefully steer him in the right direction - towards quality music.  
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 05:24
The rhythm reminds me of the one in Tangerine Dream's Ricochet Part 1, kicking in around 2:20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM1Wc6ha_ic
Not sure whether this is your cup of tea, it's certainly very different from the rest of the linked song (and much of the rest of it sounds different from your 20 secs).

Edited by Lewian - October 31 2018 at 05:28
 Post Reply Post Reply