Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dream Theater most visited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yrgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater most visited
    Posted: October 30 2018 at 09:21
Why is The Astonishing by Dream Theater almost constantly on the front page as the most popular album the last 24h? It's been like that for many weeks now, and I doubt it's that popular...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 10:50
Horridly sh*tty albums need massive amounts of marketing.......so it makes sense.
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 20:38
The site uses ads to help offset costs of operation.
It wouldn't surprise me if RoadRunner Records hasn't put up some money to keep "The Asseatishing" in that "Most Popular Last 24 Hours" spot, which is essentially an advertisement...

That's my thought, for what it's worth.

Grace and peace, Jim (Cylli Kat)

(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 22:33
Is that spot actually meant for advertising rather than just showing whatever album has had the most views? How much would one have to pay to get their own album up there? Asking for a friend, of course...

Of course, there's always the possibility that someone has a computer program constantly checking that album's page... That would explain why they've been putting all those anti-spam measures (albeit, they've been quite unsuccessful).
Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 23:01
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Is that spot actually meant for advertising rather than just showing whatever album has had the most views? How much would one have to pay to get their own album up there? Asking for a friend, of course...

Of course, there's always the possibility that someone has a computer program constantly checking that album's page... That would explain why they've been putting all those anti-spam measures (albeit, they've been quite unsuccessful).

I was just positing a theory on that one... I'm not sure that the most popular last 24 is up for grabs as advertising, but I couldn't believe that Delirium Tremens - The Asseatishing was the most looked into album of the last 24hrs for the last couple of months.

Quite frankly, I think your explanation is far more likely to be accurate than the scenario that I painted...
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 23:17
The last 24 hrs....lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 07:14
My guess is that the feature is broken and that the site owner can't be bothered to fix it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 07:31
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

My guess is that the feature is broken and that the site owner can't be bothered to fix it.

LOL
this is (probably) right
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 11:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

LOL
this is (probably) right

no it probably is not...

that forgets several keys points of this sites history and its personalities...

M@X is an avowed DT fan or once was...  and has no problem selling the sites credibility for a few bucks which he most famously has done.

I suspect he has rigged this to show most popular for a few bucks.. a couple cases of booze from the record label or being teh cheap b*****d he is.. probably just some DT swag..   
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 11:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

LOL
this is (probably) right

no it probably is not...

that forgets several keys points of this sites history and its personalities...

M@X is an avowed DT fan or once was...  and has no problem selling the sites credibility for a few bucks which he most famously has done.

I suspect he has rigged this to show most popular for a few bucks.. a couple cases of booze from the record label or being teh cheap b*****d he is.. probably just some DT swag..   

that would be lame since the Astonishing is such a disappointment for a lot of people. Any other DT album in that place, I would not have a problem with it. LOL At least it would be believable. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 11:53
well..  what are record companies to do?  They have to promote that steaming pile of sh*t don't they. The group obviously put out a stinker of an album..  and got paid to do so... the label ain't making nothing if they ain't selling it... so go for a hail mary and do some on the cheap... give the site owner a 6 pack, a few bucks, or some VIP concert tickets and get him to rig/break the algorithm to show the album more popular than it obviously is.

If you think he isn't capable of that.. you have no experience of what life is like at working end, at the top of this site.  He has done similar shady sh*t in the past, at least this time he learned not to cross the collaborators in doing so... who really cares.. and if not for the OP.. who really notices or cares.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 00:03
A large sweltering bowl of dung, is still just that........No amount of concert tixs or band swag can change that. The people who visit this site regularly know this album has no popularity what so ever......It should never have been released.
All the marketing done on that album was a waste of money, it was setup to be some kind of concept/on going story and it failed miserably.

Coheed and Cambria storyline is much better and I bet they did not spend an 1/8 of what DT did. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 01:03
it's still there LOL
last 24 h my foot
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 02:05
I noticed this too and wondered if it was some kind of deliberate hype. I haven't heard this album but after several disappointments from DT in recent years I wont be taking the risk and buying it. I think Labries voice has gone now anyway if the cringeworthy youtube video of him wailing at that Wacken festival in Germany a couple of years back was anything to go by...

Such a shame. The last time I saw them live was a superb show in 2007 at Newcastle City Hall on a one off UK gig and they played Images and Words in it's entireity.   It was a rare and unforgettable moment in life.

Edited by flyingveepixie - November 03 2018 at 04:12
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 02:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Horridly sh*tty albums need massive amounts of marketing.......so it makes sense.

Jeeeze Catch! I had no idea how much you loved this album. 

LOL
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 15:57
Looks like the admins realized they were caught!

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 16:18
Is the Astonishing really THAT bad? There are three albums by DT on here rated lower than it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 16:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Is the Astonishing really THAT bad? There are three albums by DT on here rated lower than it.

which ones?
Yrgal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yrgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 15:08

2016 - The Astonishing (3.41)

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 15:23
Originally posted by Yrgal Yrgal wrote:

2016 - The Astonishing (3.41)

all 4 of them more enjoyable for me than the last one. Even Systematic Chaos which used to be my least favorite, an album I rarely get back to. 

I love their debut, I've never understood why it gets so much hate. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>