Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the worst album you've heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 03:35
I legit don't think I can answer this question, no matter how hard I think about it.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutterAlert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 03:40
easy. Lamb lies down on Broadway. 
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 06:31
Here's some horrible albums for you:

This is the worst metal album ever made Dead

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 07:15
Hey!!! That's my album! Hey!!!
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 07:26
I found the bread
I found jelly
But I can't find the butter man!

I've told you
Time and time again
It's got to be butter man!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 10:58
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Momentary Lapse of Reason, Horrible, Unlistenable. It sounds like a poor imitation of Floyd. Everything about it is just dull and sub par.
Horrible, perhaps. Unlistenable, no.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 15:18
An album with pan flute versions of ABBA songs.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 17:02
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

Not even close. If you legitimately feel that way then you are definitely in the minority.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 00:13
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Queensryche - Dedicated to Chaos 
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
80s Renaissance
DT - The Astonishing

Camera Camera? Those is fighten' words!

Well Camera Camera is the worse album I've ever heard while The Astonishing is a great DT album.

The Astonishing is in my top 5 favourite DT albums but I can see what it would divide opinion. I hate DT when they go too 'technical metal' like Systematic Chaos as I mentioned earlier in the thread. The Astonishing is mainly just songs.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 00:15
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

Not even close. If you legitimately feel that way then you are definitely in the minority.

The first half is the best prog ever made although I admit to being a lot less convinced about the second half. I reckon overall there is at least 60 minutes of fantastic prog so that will do me fine!
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 11:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Queensryche - Dedicated to Chaos 
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
80s Renaissance
DT - The Astonishing

Camera Camera? Those is fighten' words!

Well Camera Camera is the worse album I've ever heard while The Astonishing is a great DT album.

The Astonishing is in my top 5 favourite DT albums but I can see what it would divide opinion. I hate DT when they go too 'technical metal' like Systematic Chaos as I mentioned earlier in the thread. The Astonishing is mainly just songs.

The Astonishing should be so good.......but really truly isn't!

I bought De-Loused In The Comatorium by The Mars Volta, but my car stereo ejected it after 3 songs, just before I was about to.  Awful..............

And I know this will be controversial, but OM by Queensryche just does nothing for me...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 11:43
Queen + Paul Rodgers- The Cosmos Rocks
Mike Rutherford - Acting Very Strange (Mike's voice is worse than Steve Howe's and Tony Banks combined)

Those are about as bad as it gets for me. The Queen and Paul Rodgers is mostly just really boring but boring for a rock album let a lone a hard rock album is not a good thing.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 23:51
OK Computer and the first two Tool albums. In the context of the pop culture du jour and the need for people to want to have something substantial in their pop rock they choose these. Listening to OK PC Mac was like having my head squished between the most boring guitars ever. Kid A nicked all it's ideas from the R.I.O. and was therefore modertaley interesting - and even listenable for the first half. But that guy's vox... Tool were excellent cures for insomnia. I still have 10K days - slightly better in that it sounds like good heavy backing tracks in search of harmony. But I've just yet to get rid of it...

Pavlov's Dog Pampered Menial which is not fair as they try to be unique and it didn't take off at all with me. Same with VDGG. C'est la vie.

There are things that spoil otherwise good releases (Steve Howe's vocal which is the opposite of his superb guitar. Hackett as well. But so many saving graces. It's usually the vocal that does it.

Oh and I picked up a 4 CD 2 DVD set of Neal Morse's. Trying way too hard to be prog as opposed to using sophisticated music to convey a musical emotion. It was excellent and boring at the same time.

There was one other I can't remember who it was but supposed to be the best of a pitiful three. That was returned in the days you could still do that. Still not a bad average out of all the prog rock that's piling up here...
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2023 at 09:53
I strongly dislike anything from Transatlantic, which is ironic as I love Pete Trewavas and Roine Stolt.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2023 at 09:57
for me, it's probably anything by Ayreon.... frankly, I find it all rather excruciating
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2023 at 10:07
Any album in the Avant Prog section. Thumbs Down

I do like many of the "worst albums" already mentioned though, including:-

Anything by Ayreon
Asia - Astra
Dream Theater - The Astonishing
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Pavlov's Dog
Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks
Radiohead - OK Computer
Renaissance - Camera Camera
YES - The Ladder (third favourite YES album after Mirror to the Sky and The Quest)

...but not including Celine Dion. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 31 2023 at 10:20
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2023 at 11:01
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

for me, it's probably anything by Ayreon.... frankly, I find it all rather excruciating
Same here, but I've never actually finished an album by them.

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Prog:
Acqua Fragile - Mass-Media Stars (a constipated Peter Gabriel - no thanks)
More worst I've heard that I've actually bothered listening to (that's prog relevant in one way or another):

New Trolls - Concerto Grosso n°2 (1976)
Comus - To Keep From Crying (1974)
Vanilla Fudge - The Beat Goes On (1968)
Iraklis - I Stigmi (1984)
Arti & Mestieri - Quinto Stato (1979)
Birth Control - Increase (1977)
Gentle Giant - Giant for a Day! (1978)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2023 at 11:08
I'm sure I've given a cursory listen to a lot of terrible albums, too many to remember. Of those I've rated on Gnosis the worst are:-

Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Staid - Break The Cycle
Nickelback - Silver Side Up

Of the prog

Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - July 31 2023 at 11:25
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2023 at 11:09
Anderson Stolt album. Jon is singing every second. It has no room to breathe, and the album is mixed/mastered horribly.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2023 at 11:14
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Nickelback - Silver Side Up
I'm sure it's an abomination, but you've actually listened to it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>