Poll Question: Pick your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [37.66%]
48 [62.34%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog World Cup-Final: Frank Zappa- Yes
    Posted: November 05 2018 at 02:47
Pick your favourite
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 03:33
Besides 2-3 albums by Zappa who I considered excellent, in rest I've never got into his music, Yes for me by far
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 03:35
Yes get my vote. Only Genesis or King Crimson could be their rivals in my case...

Edited by Libor10 - November 05 2018 at 03:35
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 03:48
Ridiculous final pairing...zappa isn't in the same class as the yes men...Howe a far superior string-smith for a start off...
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 03:56
Yep
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 04:33
Yes, I vote for Zappa. Who else ?
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 04:34
Yes!

Very few other artists would stand a chance of beating them in my assessment.

Zappa isn't one of them
Songs cast a light on you
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 05:08
None of these are among my personal favorites but I do enjoy most of their classics - but I think Zappa has more of them.... more classics I mean
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 05:28
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Ridiculous final pairing...zappa isn't in the same class as the yes men...

Agreed. That's why Zappa gets my vote...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 05:33
Oui
Si
Ja
Da
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 05:44
Yes gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 06:13
Zappa just to be ornery
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 06:53
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Ridiculous final pairing...zappa isn't in the same class as the yes men...

Agreed. That's why Zappa gets my vote...

Haha. Touché.

While I enjoy several Yes albums, Zappa also gets my vote. Yes' Fragile was one of the most important Prog albums to me in my teens, but hearing "Peaches en Regalia" on classic rock radio (what was called The Electric Lunch) was one of those experiences that led me to explore a lot of interesting music and played a part in me finding my way here years later (I found it so joyous). While Zappa is hit or miss for me, I posted this in another thread, and this is a good example of what I love about certain music by Zappa (generally I prefer his instrumentals).

As for the pairing being ridiculous, I disagree (but I try to keep an open mind as I could be convinced to change my mind with the right arguments -- I'm no musicologist). While I would have loved to see Can make it to the end, for this World Cup with one band/artist per country, I think having Zappa up against Yes is a very sensible pairing (that said, King Crimson would have been my choice for the British representative,or maybe Pink Floyd even if not so quintessentially Prog). Zappa is a legend in rock, has been very culturally significant I would argue, and I would think Zappa to be more historically significant to 20th Century music overall than Yes, and his contributions to progressive rock forms are very significant. I also would have thought that Zappa would have had the best chance of the choices to give Yes a run for its money.

I can't think of a better one from outside the UK to pair against Yes in the finals than Zappa. Out of curiosity, what would be the last (EDIT, I mean LEAST, not last) ridiculous pairing for the finals in people's minds where they think that the non-UK choice could potentially give the UK choice some decent competition (noting that only one of the finalists could come from the UK)? Some have said that Rush vs. Yes would have made the most sense, but I don't think that Rush would fare that well. Perhaps some other non-UK bands included in prog categories could be paired against Yes, and the one that does the best against Yes wins.

By the way, here's a BBC Radio 4 documentary available on BBC Sounds: Freak Out! The Frank Zappa Story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00770gq

Listened to another the other day there on Kraftwerk: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00899w2

Not sure if they have one on Yes there.

Edited by Logan - November 05 2018 at 07:27
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 07:21

Ridiculous final pairing...zappa isn't in the same class as the yes men...Howe a far superior string-smith for a start off...
I dunno man, many consider Frank one of the greatest of all-time; I certainly do. 

That being said I prefer Yes slightly more overall, as I think they're more consistent. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 07:25
not surprised by the final poll, seeing the bands throughout the polls, it's kinda predictable
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 07:35
love some Zappa

but

Yes
Prog On!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 08:11

According to Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists Howe is at 69 & Zappa is at 22. Not that I rate RS for anything but to dismiss Zappa's playing in such an offhand way is remarkable.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 08:13
The classic 70's period YES was at the top, after that, Drama an on, not so much (in fact, 80's Yes is quite simplistic and boring sometimes). Zappa was always more consistent, though others might disagree, and his output was amazing, so ZAPPA gets my vote. 
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutterAlert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 08:53
Lost all faith in all polls post Brexit, but surely Zappa is in a totally different class to the Accrington milkman and his mates from Yes.

Based on this I am sure Yes will win by a landslide...ho hum!
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 09:04
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

According to Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists Howe is at 69 & Zappa is at 22. Not that I rate RS for anything but to dismiss Zappa's playing in such an offhand way is remarkable.

That list is a joke. Right? I would concede that Hendrix was probably no 1 on innovation alone. But after that? All bets are off...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>