Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [37.66%]
48 [62.34%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 09:11
All Rolling Stone's lists are a joke, that's their main purpose, they are clickbait.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 10:22
Zappa.World class composer and ran the finishing school for a huge number of greatest individual musicians in the world.

Re: Yes. I still listen to Yessongs, but the classic era studio albums just sound too boxed in and sterile. And even if I held that era in higher regard, the last 25years of albums and the general disregard that it appears the band members have treated each other is a complete turn off. Don't get me wrong, before I was exposed to the wide world of prog and only knew of the big label bands, Yes was way up there for me. Saw the Union tour 3 times and it was amazing. But there has been nothing that I find remotely interesting or listenable about them since.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 10:34
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Ridiculous final pairing...zappa isn't in the same class as the yes men...Howe a far superior string-smith for a start off...

According to Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists Howe is at 69 & Zappa is at 22. Not that I rate RS for anything but to dismiss Zappa's playing in such an offhand way is remarkable.

That list is a joke. Right? I would concede that Hendrix was probably no 1 on innovation alone. But after that? All bets are off...

I'm not a guitarist (well, a very amateur player at best), nor have I done diligent research to come to a conclusion, but I would have thought that Howe was a considerably better guitarist from a technical ability-to-play passages perspective (though Zappa's skills on the guitar by the mid-70s at least were very accomplished). Zappa's strength was an ability to improvise and experiment on guitar (not sure how good Howe was with improvisation). That said, for me Zappa's strength is not so much as a guitarist, but as a bandleader and composer, and he certainly worked with many highly skilled musicians (the guitar is not what originally attracted me to Zappa's music). He definitely had a good sense of rhythm and became well versed in music theory.

I would posit that, at least when it comes to classical guitar, John Williams (not the film composer) was better than Howe, but that doesn't mean that I think that his band Sky was better than Yes by any means.

A fun poll might be to compare Howe's 1975 album Beginnings with Zappa's 1975 album One Size Fits All.

Or Howe's album "Guitar Player" vs. Zappa's "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar" (Zappa really shredded on that one).

Anyway, Howe and Zappa strike me as different enough kinds of musicians/ artists and so are not ones that I would normally readily compare. EDIT to add: Some interesting comparisons can be made with their forays into "classical music", and one can find other musical similarities beyond that they both played guitar.

Edited by Logan - November 05 2018 at 11:12
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 10:41
Love Frank but Yes gets my vote. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 11:36
FZ.

Yes had one amazing decade where they lead the prog world in the breaking of new musical ground and their trilogy of CTTE, TFTO & Relayer could be the greatest 3 studio album run in prog history...but...Zappa routinely broke musical ground over the 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's in rock, prog, jazz fusion, musique concrete, modern classical, avant garde, etc all the while being a training ground for some of the most skilled musicians of our day.  The only possible opponent that would have caused me to not give this final vote to FZ would have been Crimson.  In many ways, Fripp and FZ are very similar.  Both were clearly the leaders of their respective bands, both ventured into many forms in and outside 'rock', both re-invented their musical directions many times breaking new ground.

Yes is an amazing band.  FZ was an amazing composer and I believe his music will live far beyond that of Yes.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 12:50
YES. 

Frank's brilliant, but the fact is I don't enjoy as many of his albums as I do Yes'...
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 13:05
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

FZ.

Yes had one amazing decade where they lead the prog world in the breaking of new musical ground and their trilogy of CTTE, TFTO & Relayer could be the greatest 3 studio album run in prog history...but...Zappa routinely broke musical ground over the 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's in rock, prog, jazz fusion, musique concrete, modern classical, avant garde, etc all the while being a training ground for some of the most skilled musicians of our day.  The only possible opponent that would have caused me to not give this final vote to FZ would have been Crimson.  In many ways, Fripp and FZ are very similar.  Both were clearly the leaders of their respective bands, both ventured into many forms in and outside 'rock', both re-invented their musical directions many times breaking new ground.

Yes is an amazing band.  FZ was an amazing composer and I believe his music will live far beyond that of Yes.

Clap
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 14:13
Franky 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 14:28
Yes, Yes and thrice Yes!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 14:44
In one Time and one Word: YES
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 16:01
This was a very tough one. I absolutely love Yes(they are the first 3 letters of my username for a reason). They are my favorite 'classic 70's' prog band and I feel that's how it should be. But 62 albums and most of it high quality.. for me that beats anyone. The matter gets further complicated by the fact that I'm sometimes/often turned off by Zappa's lyrics, whereas Yes often has beautiful ones. 

Went with Zappa cause he needed the vote more. My head hurts lol. 

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 17:24
I do love Frank Zappa, but I love Yes more consistently across their albums.

Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 17:51
Yes, for sure. When it comes to prog world cups, only a top british band can beat a top british band.
[Football joke removed]
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 18:56
Creamcheese
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 21:16
Yes, very easily, for me.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 21:18
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Ridiculous final pairing...zappa isn't in the same class as the yes men...

Agreed. That's why Zappa gets my vote...

Haha. Touché.

While I enjoy several Yes albums, Zappa also gets my vote. Yes' Fragile was one of the most important Prog albums to me in my teens, but hearing "Peaches en Regalia" on classic rock radio (what was called The Electric Lunch) was one of those experiences that led me to explore a lot of interesting music and played a part in me finding my way here years later (I found it so joyous). While Zappa is hit or miss for me, I posted this in another thread, and this is a good example of what I love about certain music by Zappa (generally I prefer his instrumentals).

As for the pairing being ridiculous, I disagree (but I try to keep an open mind as I could be convinced to change my mind with the right arguments -- I'm no musicologist). While I would have loved to see Can make it to the end, for this World Cup with one band/artist per country, I think having Zappa up against Yes is a very sensible pairing (that said, King Crimson would have been my choice for the British representative,or maybe Pink Floyd even if not so quintessentially Prog). Zappa is a legend in rock, has been very culturally significant I would argue, and I would think Zappa to be more historically significant to 20th Century music overall than Yes, and his contributions to progressive rock forms are very significant. I also would have thought that Zappa would have had the best chance of the choices to give Yes a run for its money.

I can't think of a better one from outside the UK to pair against Yes in the finals than Zappa. Out of curiosity, what would be the last (EDIT, I mean LEAST, not last) ridiculous pairing for the finals in people's minds where they think that the non-UK choice could potentially give the UK choice some decent competition (noting that only one of the finalists could come from the UK)? Some have said that Rush vs. Yes would have made the most sense, but I don't think that Rush would fare that well. Perhaps some other non-UK bands included in prog categories could be paired against Yes, and the one that does the best against Yes wins.

By the way, here's a BBC Radio 4 documentary available on BBC Sounds: Freak Out! The Frank Zappa Story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00770gq

Listened to another the other day there on Kraftwerk: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00899w2

Not sure if they have one on Yes there.

I guess the ones with the best chances to give some battle to the British giants would be Zappa himself, indeed, Rush, and PFM. I really can't think of another one.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 23:52
Interesting final matchup. Both Yes and Uncle Frank are worthy of each other. FZ is an artist I admire more than I enjoy - his innovation is only matched by King Crimson (now that would have been a contest). Yes, however, is one of my favorite bands ever, so I had to vote for them. Ying Yang
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 05:04
What is the point of voting if you think A is better than B but vote B BECAUSE IT HAS LESS VOTES! hahaha
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 05:06
Isn't that how Trump got in?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 05:58
As a long time big Yes fan this is kind of a no brainer for me. Nothing against Uncle Frank since I think he was great but still no match for the little band that wouldn't take no for an answer. :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>