Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Tangent freaks thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Tangent freaks thread
    Posted: November 05 2018 at 08:14
I am starting this. Please move to the original if it exists. Anyway This band definately needs a thread of its own...My most important find since the Flower Kings....
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 14:55
Great band. Great music. Great musicians (I love this fretless bass..). Always between excellence and master-pieces
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 15:41
Love 'em.  One of the great prog torchbearers along with Wobbler, Anglagard, etc.

Image result for the world we drive through images

Image result for a place in the queue images

Image result for tangent down and out in paris and london images

Edited by Atavachron - November 05 2018 at 15:42
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 04:59
I revisited the only CD I had in Jan this year...It blew my mind. So I bought the other eight. So currently I am playing them in chronological order..I think that all nine of them are going to be 5 stars...not a weak recording amongst them...and that is unusual...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 07:15
It is locked http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62081&KW=tangent&PID=3417352#3417352 but if you are interested in the previous Tangent appreciation thread, here it be.

And also, album #10 Proxy is coming out at the end of the month.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 09:19
It's on my solstice pressies list
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:49
The Music That Died Alone 10/10
The World That We Drive Through 7/10
A Place In The Queue 10/10
Not As Good As The Book 8/10
Down And Out In Paris And London 9/10
COMM 8/10
Le Sacre Du Travail 9/10
A Spark In The Aether 10/10
The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery  7/10
Proxy 9/10

I love The Tangent!!!

Edited by miamiscot - November 19 2018 at 08:57
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 16:07
A band I have neglected since their earlier days.... I will be rectify that over the next few months, hopefully. Thanks for the overdue push, M27Barney!

Edited by Squonk19 - November 06 2018 at 23:49
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 17:25
^ M27Barney--   M25Barney was a real assh*le.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 12:17
I myself ignored them and then blammo...The world that we drive through leapt like a salmon from my large collection of CDs into my play list....Then since it was the lowest rated of the releases I had to buy the rest because it was so good the others must be AWESOME...I think they are all 5☆...
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 12:22
Check out Andy Tillison's previous band Parallel or 90 degrees. Was lucky enough to see them live- a heavier, darker mix of influences than the Tangent but equally inventive. 

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 05:34
You guys should join the Tangent group on Facebook if you're not in it already. Andy Tillison is quite active and posts a lot of good stuff.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 06:24
I will check that out. Thanks
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 14:27
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

The Music That Died Alone 10/10
The World That We Drive Through 7/10
A Place In The Queue 10/10
Not As Good As The Book 8/10
Down And Out In Paris And London 9/10
COMM 8/10
Le Sacre Du Travail 9/10
A Spark In The Aether 10/10
The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery  7/10
Proxy ??/10

I love The Tangent!!!

Despite your personal ratings The Slow Rust is the highest rated Tangent album on here. 

Also, the lowest rated one is Down and Out in Paris and London even though someone said it was The Music That died alone.

The only one I currently have, if I'm not mistaken, is the world we drive through which I haven't listened to yet. Apparently it's not that good so I think I'll wait until I get some others first.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 02:00
TWTWDT...was the only CD I had until later this year. It took me a couple of spins to appreciate, but I think that it's as good as any of the others.. The only weak track I have found is the America song on ASITA...it's long and goes nowhere really...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 15:08
Proxy is brilliant and is exactly what I want to listen to nowadays. Slow Rust was good but didn't blow me away as much as the latest. I don't have any other CD's so will be making a bee line for Amazon just about now..
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 09:02
Slow Rust was good but Proxy is hitting me way harder. Andy needs an actual drummer, I think...

And he's got a keeper in Steve Roberts.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 05:27
Anybody want to offload their Parallel or 90 degrees CDs? I will pay £30 for each. If anybody is inclined to sell...
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 08:50
I absolutely love Proxy, what a fantastic album.  From the first minutes I knew it was a winner, and a couple listens in has only increased that feeling.  Also, I got my name listed in the "The Tangent thanks.." section (i.e., I didn't do the "superfan" pre-order, but I guess Andy remembered meeting me after the gig in New Jersey and also remembered hearing some of my own music that Sally told me he "loved" (I've been FB friends with them both for a few years, and occasionally have offline conversations with Sally, who is a wonderful person) .  So there's that, as well.

I heard the first Tangent album at Nearfest 2003, a couple months before it was released because I was friends with a couple guys who were close to the band (one of whom was their manager for a while).  I loved it and have bought all their albums since.  My favorite of them all was always A Place In The Queue (see my review on the site here), but Proxy is giving it a good run for it's money.  I also loved Slow Rust, though that one didn't quite top Queue and a couple previous albums for me (like Le Sacre, which is bloody brilliant).

Anyway, needless to say I'm a big fan of all things Andy T and the Tangent in particular.

Edited by infandous - November 30 2018 at 08:53
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 09:45
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I absolutely love Proxy, what a fantastic album.  From the first minutes I knew it was a winner, and a couple listens in has only increased that feeling.  Also, I got my name listed in the "The Tangent thanks.." section (i.e., I didn't do the "superfan" pre-order, but I guess Andy remembered meeting me after the gig in New Jersey and also remembered hearing some of my own music that Sally told me he "loved" (I've been FB friends with them both for a few years, and occasionally have offline conversations with Sally, who is a wonderful person) .  So there's that, as well.

I heard the first Tangent album at Nearfest 2003, a couple months before it was released because I was friends with a couple guys who were close to the band (one of whom was their manager for a while).  I loved it and have bought all their albums since.  My favorite of them all was always A Place In The Queue (see my review on the site here), but Proxy is giving it a good run for it's money.  I also loved Slow Rust, though that one didn't quite top Queue and a couple previous albums for me (like Le Sacre, which is bloody brilliant).

Anyway, needless to say I'm a big fan of all things Andy T and the Tangent in particular.

I don't think Andy will ever top A Place In The Queue but that's just one man's opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>