Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Tangent freaks thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 23:59
Listened to Slow Rust recently and the comparison Andy draws with Brexit to Nazi Germany is priceless. I will be devoting a lot more time to this band that's for sure
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 06:23
Aye...cant wait to open proxy and move with the groove....
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 10:10
This is one of the few groups that I instantly buy everything they release without a "pre-listen." On top of that, Andy Tillison is a pretty cool dude and works with some really fine musicians.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 13:25
^ Agree on all counts ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 14:44
Proxy is a hit first spin....moog solos that make your hair stand on end...
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 16:01
It's a knockout album, Barney! Probably the best thing I've heard all year, and they've really dialled up the Canterbury/jazzy touches again on this one.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 14:11
1. Thanks for giving The Tangent their own thread rather than just lumping them in with The Flower Kings.

2. Proxy is awesome. I found Slow Rust a very intense listen, which I really have to be in the mood for. Proxy is a real return to form. The Adulthood Lie is my favourite track. It's fantastic that they take on board so many influences.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 09:01
I'd say Comm was my favourite of theirs until the new one landed Wink.  Proxy is one hell of an album.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 12:21
I have listened twice to proxy. Its their best by a slight margin. But since all are 5 star releases its one helluva CD. I HAD TO REVIEW!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 15:41
I have a lot of their albums, the first 4 albums are fantastic apparently gave me enough to listen to. I have not looked further past COMM, I am sure eventually I will get those too. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 13:32
^ you have four five star albums to marvel at you lucky lucky b*****d...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 12:31
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

^ you have four five star albums to marvel at you lucky lucky b*****d...

Thank you, I resemble that remark LOL
HenriJ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenriJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 08:33
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have a lot of their albums, the first 4 albums are fantastic apparently gave me enough to listen to. I have not looked further past COMM, I am sure eventually I will get those too. 

I'd recommend you to try their later albums at some point. I was kinda at the same point with The Tangent some years ago as you are now: I owned the five first albums but lost track of them after that for quite some time. I think I had had my share of The Tangent sound for a while, on top of which I wasn't very impressed by Down and Out in Paris and London or COMM (though the one before those, Not as Good as the Book, will most probably always be my favorite The Tangent album). Perhaps a bit over a year ago I somehow got the idea to check out some of their newer stuff, tried Le Sacre du Travail, and was hooked again. That one is definitely my second favorite of their albums and a real return to form. I also really like Slow Rust. Right now I'm listening to Proxy for the first time and it sounds good so far. Time will show how it will develop in my mind.

But yeah, I understand getting your fill of The Tangent for a while, but I'd recommend to go back for more at some point :)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 17:03
Originally posted by HenriJ HenriJ wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I'd recommend you to try their later albums at some point. I was kinda at the same point with The Tangent some years ago as you are now: I owned the five first albums but lost track of them after that for quite some time. I think I had had my share of The Tangent sound for a while, on top of which I wasn't very impressed by Down and Out in Paris and London or COMM (though the one before those, Not as Good as the Book, will most probably always be my favorite The Tangent album). Perhaps a bit over a year ago I somehow got the idea to check out some of their newer stuff, tried Le Sacre du Travail, and was hooked again. That one is definitely my second favorite of their albums and a real return to form. I also really like Slow Rust. Right now I'm listening to Proxy for the first time and it sounds good so far. Time will show how it will develop in my mind.

But yeah, I understand getting your fill of The Tangent for a while, but I'd recommend to go back for more at some point :)

I have digital versions of later ones like COMM, but I am a physical media guy, mainly vinyl. I have heard them but like you said, it's more that I like the earlier material. Le Sacre has not resonated with me at all, I have yet to hear the last 2 albums.
At some point I will get there.......
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 13:43
The latest album is so fookin good I would put it into my top 20 prog albums of all time...It even has an epic that you can dance to! Track 4 is so good in parts it makes you see the fanny of your dreams appear inches from your face and twist your senses in ways that classic 70s prog does....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 13:45
And track 5 is close on its tail...tracks 2 and 1 are merely brilliant. The weak track is 3 but its no "more fool me"...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 15:46
Ok, I might have to order it......It's avail in vinyl version so it meets my initial criteria of awesomeness.....

EDIT: Ordered, you guys owe me $24.90.......punks

Edited by Catcher10 - January 11 2019 at 15:57
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 04:35
Is that 2 disc set? Or can they get more than 35 mins on one side of vinyl now?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 13:09
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Is that 2 disc set? Or can they get more than 35 mins on one side of vinyl now?

I think just 1 LP. Side A is like 25min. 
Proxy = 16:08min
Andalusian Skies = 8:51min

Side B is about 23 min
Misplaced Optimism = 6:13min
Adulthood Lie = 16:06min

Comes with the CD and the extra songs I think.....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 07:22
Where is the other epic?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>