Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Frank Zappa Inca Roads/ Steve Howe Doors of Sleep
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frank Zappa Inca Roads/ Steve Howe Doors of Sleep

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Be Frank, Howe do you vote?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [83.33%]
5 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frank Zappa Inca Roads/ Steve Howe Doors of Sleep
    Posted: November 05 2018 at 11:32
Howe about a Frank poll?

Inspired by a post made by M27Barney in the Yes vs. Zappa thread (credit given where credit is due even if this is lousy idea for a poll, and ultimately I can only blame myself for that): CLICK {edited to fix broken link}

Two songs off albums from 1975 that I think make for an interesting comparison, which do you like more? I was planning to do the albums, but then I thought not enough people would have heard the full albums by both (sorry if you don't like my choices from Steve Howe's Beginnings or Frank Zappa's 1975 album One Size Fits All, so if you're one of those "Howe to vote? Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" people, just shut up and play yer guitar.). I find some interesting musical parallels in both albums.

For those that don't know both, here are the tracks:

Edited by Logan - November 05 2018 at 12:26
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 11:57
Mr. Howe for this one.

Welcome to the middle of the film.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 12:02
Frank gets the vote here. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 12:06
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Mr. Howe for this one.

It's a good track, but the vocals are weak imo (not that I mind them).

Edited by Logan - November 05 2018 at 12:07
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 12:22
I love Doors of Sleep and Steve Howe's vocals Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 12:36
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I love Doors of Sleep and Steve Howe's vocals Wink

I changed the video to a higher definition one since you need to hear his vocals in high definition to get the proper experience (I suggest turning up the treble to 11 to better experience the high notes). It's a very catchy song, I find.

Edited by Logan - November 05 2018 at 12:40
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 14:13
Inca Roads 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 14:49
Inca Roads by Inca miles..

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 15:09
Inca fer sure.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 16:11
Definitely appreciate this poll. I hadn't heard the Howe track before but I liked it a lot. However since it's not technically Yes and Inca Roads is.. Inca Roads, that got my vote here. 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 19:10
I love Howe but its hard for me to vote for anything he sings lead on--so.....for the first time......ever....Zappa.Shocked
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 20:46
Inca Roads. Doors of Sleep is a good tune, but Frank takes this one easily.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 00:15
I was thinking something like this would be a good poll after the big showdown. There is a lot going in both songs. FZs takes his band through a series of signature bizarre changes while Howe layers the strings atop one another. Excellent guitar playing by both. Though the Zappa vocals are indeed better than Howe's, I find them rather annoying and detracting from the music. Both tunes are sophisticated and complex, each in their own way. For me, Doors of Sleep has a more consistent quality to it and does not need anything added or subtracted. Inca Roads is less consistent, even with all its impressive changes. Howe gets my vote. And I just plain like his song better. Ying Yang
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 07:19
^ That is a terrific post, Robert. Love it when people do a good job of comparing things, and to me they are comparable in various ways. Thanks.

Not that I treat polls as contests, I don't, but it may seem quite unfair to compare what is one of Zappa's most loved tracks against a lesser known and shorter song (although Inca Roads could be shortened easily), but musically these two work together well for my ears. Both have something of Yes-like qualities to me (Inca Roads particularly in certain "fiddly" bits) and both have some vocals that may be a little off-putting to some and indeed both are complex in their own ways.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 09:29
Oh yeah, Inca Roads. Something special for sure.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 11:12
"Inca Roads."

"Doors of Sleep" is a cool song, though.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 04:25
Doors of Sleep. Steve Howe's solo debut may be not even remotely at level with those of Chris Squire and Jon Anderson, but the opener is pretty good. I really like the guitar part of Inca Roads between 2 and 5 minutes, but this track is rather incoherent, some loose ends, and I find the first two minutes slightly annoying.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 06:58
Zappa for me! Inca Roads is a masterpiece track.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 12:27
Frank Zappa...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply