Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiacs: Arresting Openers

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these tracks is your favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
1 [14.29%]
1 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
3 [42.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardiacs: Arresting Openers
    Posted: November 05 2018 at 12:04
Cardiac Arrest: The Obvious Identity - "The Obvious Identity"
Toy World - "Aukamacic"
The Seaside - "Jibber and Twitch"
A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window - "A Little Man and a House"
On Land and in The Sea - "Two Bites of Cherry"
Heaven Born and Ever Bright - "The Alphabet Business Concern (Home Of Fadeless Splendour"
Sing to God - "Eden on the Air"
Guns = "Spell with a Shell"
Songs for Ships and Irons - "Big Ship"

Might seem a bit wrong to include a song from the compilation Songs for Ships and Irons, but I love "Big Ship" and Songs for Ships and Irons is one of my favourite Cardiacs releases and gets my vote, and some might question the sanity of this approach to a poll, but there we go. Don't worry of you don't know all of the tracks.

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 14:24
This was tough, The Alphabet Business Concern works as the best opening to any of their albums but A Little Man and a House is a better song of itself.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 18:08
All of them!!!!!!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 18:51
Big Ship is the best Cardiacs song and one of the best songs ever. No way I'm voting for anything else although it feels slightly strange to me as opener because I usually listen to the live versions on Live and Mares Nest and there it appears when the energy level is already high. It works well as opener in principle but its supreme quality gives the later songs a hard time.

The Alphabet Business Concern is the most iconic opener and then most others are very good, although I think Spell with a Shell is actually the weakest track on Guns.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 20:47
Very good songs on this list, but Big Ship takes my vote. It's an incredible song.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 07:43
Thanks for the responses.

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Big Ship is the best Cardiacs song and one of the best songs ever. No way I'm voting for anything else although it feels slightly strange to me as opener because I usually listen to the live versions on Live and Mares Nest and there it appears when the energy level is already high. It works well as opener in principle but its supreme quality gives the later songs a hard time.

The Alphabet Business Concern is the most iconic opener and then most others are very good, although I think Spell with a Shell is actually the weakest track on Guns.

Love Mares Nest! While Big Ship is a great song, in the context of the compilation album, it might not have been the best one to open with (I might have started it with Plane Plane Against the Grain or with All Spectacular).

I like Spell with a Shell, but not sure it's the track I would have opened Guns with.

While the choice shouldn't be dependent on what works best as an opener, I think that A Little Man and a House, Eden on the Air, and The Alphabet Business Concern (Home Of Fadeless Splendour) work really great as openers.

Edited by Logan - November 06 2018 at 07:43
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 14:27
Easy . Two bites of Cherry just a Killer Riff. Brilliant drumming pattern and bass
 Post Reply Post Reply