Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson vs. Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [43.10%]
66 [56.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 13:04
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Yes started to drop off after The yes album. They weren't very good after Close to the edge.

Ouch. Tales from Topgraphic Oceans, Relayer and Going For The One not very good? ConfusedCry

Bits and pieces are good but overall none interest me much. I never liked them that much. I don’t like ctte or fragile as much as I used to either. Yes have dropped out of my top 10 bands of the 70s. Crimson just miss out too
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 20:14
Voted KC.  But I think Yes will take it because the RIO/Avant Garde contingent who used to prop up KC/GG on these parts are mostly MIA these days.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 02:17
Yes.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 08:07
King Crimson.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 12:23
As Steve said,,,,,should be a tie, but if forced to choose it has to be Crimson .
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles_ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 12:02
Crimson for today. Mayby tomorrow it'll be the Yes.
om mani padme hum
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 19:09
King Crimson yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Nothing in the discography of King Crimson reach the horrendous level of "Open your eyes"

maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 14:57
YES !!!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 16:47
Obviously I love both, but  If it were to vote on both group's albums from beginning to the 80s or maybe 90s, it would be a tie.  However from beginning to now, King Crimson.  The Crimson out now is a monster live!

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 18:24
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

King Crimson yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Nothing in the discography of King Crimson reach the horrendous level of "Open your eyes"

Not a fair comparison because Yes put out more studio albums. For live albums nothing in the Yes discography was as bad as "earthbound."

Anyway, I choose Yes because I feel they put out enough good to great albums. Ultimately it's about sound. Both are great bands but I've always been a bit more into Yes. While Yes do have some big gaps in their career they don't compare to the gaps in KC's career. KC are still around yet haven't put out a studio album since 2003. At least Yes put out something even if they aren't always that great.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 00:28
I voted Yes, as certain songs by Yes (RSOG, To Be Over etc.) still bring me to tears.  

I love KC, but it doesn't stir my soul nearly as much as Yes. 

However, having seen the last KC tour in Chicago, I must say that Bob Fripp is on top of his game, with an amazing band of veterans!!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 16:19
For me no contest.  Yes all the way
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Occulator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 14:49
Yes, just because I believe they converted more people to progressive rock then KC were able to. 
That being said I love both bands equally !
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:44
Yes by far because I don't really enjoy Crimso except ITCOTCK and ITWOP.
Dragged down by the stone
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 06:37
Originally posted by CristauxFeur CristauxFeur wrote:

Yes by far because I don't really enjoy Crimso except ITCOTCK and ITWOP.

I would have thought that this from 1970 would have appealed to many a Yes fan:

King Crimson for me. It was an amazing band betwixt 1969 and 1974 for me. As for Yes, I like the band most for its 1969 to 1971 period.
Crimsonsnowdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimsonsnowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 13:13
King Crimson and Yes are possibly the two most talented bands of Progressive Rock. We could probably debate until the end of time which band is more talented. I've seen Yes twice , on the Union Tour with eight band members and  in 2014 when they played both Fragile and Close to the Edge in their entirety. I've also see King Crimson three times in the past few years.

While their both great, personally I like King Crimson a little more. King Crimson's hard rock 70's sound appeals to me more than Yes's sound does.  You could also argue that during the 80's, King Crimson sold out the least of any of the big progressive rock bands, while Yes changed  to a more pop radio friendly sound with the 90125 and Big Generator Albums.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 19:26
KC is more consistent, but there are four or five Yes albums I'd put before KC's best...so Yes it is.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 19:46
I'm not a great fan of Yes.
Fragile and Close to the Edge (number 1 here in PA!!!) are very good albums
but in my opinion they do not reach In the court and Red.
I guess Yes respects in a too much didactic way the prog canons, instead 
King Crimson are more creative and unpredictable.... for me KC belong to
another category.

Ps How can I do to vote? 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 19:54
You need 40 points to vote, but you can get there quickly just by posting. This was implemented because of abuse. I've given you a Thanks, and you were given another thanks, and that quickly raises your points (five points per thanks).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 21:26
^ I didn't know that about the thanks. I guess I may just as well help new members that want to vote that way too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>