Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson: Red

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson: Red
    Posted: November 06 2018 at 11:15
The most accessible of the early Crimsons or just another good album?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 11:34
I'm not sure that it's the most accessible -- for certain types of music lovers, such as those into hard rock or heavy metal, then quite likely yes, for others I would recommend they try other Crimson first. It may not be my favourite Crimson album, but I still think that it's pretty awesome.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 11:43
Red is flat-out awesome. Yes, it's heavier, and yes, maybe it does sound a little more mainstream compared to earlier albums, but that doesn't matter. When John turns up the gain on his bass, smoke pours out of the speakers!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 11:48
Why is it a great Crimson album?  4 words.

One More Red Nightmare Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 11:49
It can sound positively evil, which could scare the more timid of people and other invertebrates.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 11:52
Probably my second favorite KC album right behind LTIA.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 11:57
Not so much an early album as a middle period album, Red is very accessible and remains my fave out of the whole lot.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 12:07
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

What this guy says!
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:47
Not just another good album, but the best KC album for me
Songs cast a light on you
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:54
Good, but winding down at that point. Fripp was ready to check out. Despite the guests, the band dwindled from 5 (two albums ago), to 4 (one album ago), now down to three.

Edited by Boojieboy - November 06 2018 at 15:00
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:57
The best KC album (with IRCOTCK). Ideal when you're reading Lovecraft novels
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 15:31
Gorgeous album! Probably my favourite King Crimson album (just edging out ITCOTCK). I never tire of Starless!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 17:12
f**king slays! Best KC album. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 17:21
Red seems like the Close to the Edge of KC to me(although "court" could also receive that title) in that it's the one that in recent years has received a lot of praise and seems to rank high on all time greatest prog album lists(including the one on this site). Not that it doesn't deserve it but in my opinion I think it's a little over rated. I prefer LTIA personally.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 17:31
Awesome album. Badass attitude meets supreme standard in performance and composition. This kind of in-your-face sound was missing in prog and boy was it welcome.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 18:56
The end of a chapter (but not of the book) and the prescience of a rough sound to come.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 21:27
This album took some time to grow on me, and when I first got it I was rather disappointed, given how much praise it usually gets, I rather expected something else. Of course, now I do find it great... but somehow I wish it had been done with David Cross still on the band (even if Fripp considered him the weak link in that line-up, I found his contributions great)... I was particularly disappointed to find the studio version of Starless didn't include violin (since I first got to know the song for the live versions, and got so used to it that for me that intro was made to be played with violin - and actually it very likely was written that way), and the final comeback of that main theme, I still feel it sounds more powerful with electric guitar instead of the sax. However, still the weak part of the album (as seems to be the case with many) is Providence... if they were going to include an "improv" from their previous tour, they should have included the one that was named Ausbury Park on USA (though I still don't know how much of an improv it really was, since it appears many times with different names on the Great Deceiver live album / box-set).
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 23:09
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

This so much.  THE KC album for me.  There's a redlining tachometer in the artwork and that sums it up for me.  Menace, gloom, anguish, longing, everything is amped up like never before and never again on a KC album. The coda of Starless is unforgettable for me.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 00:06
Fairly solid album. Not crazy about starless, angel or nightmare like other prog heads are though.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 11:00
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

However, still the weak part of the album (as seems to be the case with many) is Providence... .

Someone on the site once refereed to Providence as a "boat anchor"
 I thought that was pretty accurate. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>