Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ange vs Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which Band do you Prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [50.00%]
28 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ange vs Magma
    Posted: November 06 2018 at 19:19
Early on in the Prog World Cup polls, some had mentioned that Ange would have been a better choice to represent France than Magma.  In the spirit of the current Yes vs King Crimson poll to see who would have been the best representative for Britain, here's a similar chance to see which band would have been the strongest representative for France.

Ange or Magma and tell us why Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - November 06 2018 at 19:20
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 19:22
Au Dela du Delire is a prog jewel. Ange influenced an entire genre within a country because they were quintessentially French, blending words of meaning, haunting musicianship and a theatrical delivery. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 19:46
Much as I do like various 70s albums by Ange, and I was into Ange before discovering Magma, Magma resonates more with me and there's much more Magma that I know and like -- I have over 20 Magma albums in my collection, and maybe only four by Ange.

I think that Kobaia is one of the most kick-ass great debut albums in "Prog" history and even if they had never created another album, for that alone Magma would get my vote, but that was followed by great after great album. For me they released so many great albums, both studio and lives. I like all of them, even the reviled by many Merci and they came back very strong in the 2000s. I have not listened to Ange's post-70s albums, but I'd be interested to compare the best of 1984's Magma - Merci with the best of Ange's 1984 album Fou!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 19:54
Magma all day baby
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 19:59
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Magma all day baby

no doubt brokowski 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 20:05
Ange!

PROGMATIC
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 20:58
I really wanted to vote for Magma(who has become one of my favorite bands), but since I don't know anything at all about this Ange I didn't think it would be right. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 21:37
^ It sounds to me like you might want to check out Ange... I sure do want to do so (but haven't gotten around to it yet). It's one of the best rated bands from france, and I understand they have that theatrical vibe going on... often being compared to Genesis.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 23:09
Both of Le Cimetière des Arlequins and Au-delà du délire are up there with the very best of classic british and Italian prog rock. Dense, eerie atmosphere, uniquely eccentric and theatrical - the music's got the feel of a gothic novel or poem. Shouldn't work as well as it does for me. But only their debut comes close (I've yet to hear Guet-Apens) in quality and they are still minor league compared to Magma. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 00:42
Ange

it took me a while to get into Magma, but with Ange it was instant love Big smile
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 04:10
Magma is the strongest, so I vote for them, even though Ange is more French. Quintessentially French indeed.

One of my guilty pleasures: Of the Ange albums I have heard, my favourite is not one of their 70's albums, but Moyen-Âge from 2012.

Edited by someone_else - November 07 2018 at 04:10
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 05:26
Ange for sure
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 05:58
Magma was the right choice in the first place.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 07:39
Magma +1
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 10:07
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Ange

it took me a while to get into Magma, but with Ange it was instant love Big smile
The same with me.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 10:11
Vole, blonde tête folle
On les voyait quitter leur robe blanche..
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 11:06
Really tough choice, but I went with Magma by a hair.  I discovered both at about the same time:  late '73 for Magma and mid '74 for Ange.  I saw Ange much earlier, in July of '74 in London, and they were killer live.  I didn't see Magma until traveling across the pond to see them in Verviers, Belgium in '99.  They'd played NYC a few months earlier, but I couldn't go because of a critical work commitment.  I was so upset that I checked out their next European tour and bought a plane ticket.  On that same trip, I managed to see Ange again and they were still fabulous.  I've seen Magma a few times since (including Trilogie au Trianon, all 3 nights) and twice in NYC.  I have everything that both bands ever released and love them both.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 11:19
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Vole, blonde tête folle
On les voyait quitter leur robe blanche..

Handshake

J'étais le prince sur son carrosse
Ma muse pleurait aux étoiles
Puis je redeviens le chien

If you've never heard Ange or only a limited amount, check out one of their best, Sur la Trace des Fees (On the Trail of the Fairy - 1975).  To me it represents all the best qualities of Ange and if you don't like this one, you likely won't like Ange.

Ange isn't the first French band I got into (that was Pulsar) but they're the kings of quintessential French prog and remain active (24 studio albums and counting as of their 2018 release).  And to answer an earlier question, if you're into symphonic prog you absolutely can't go wrong with any of the 1st 6 studio albums from Caricatures through Guet Apens.  Many refer to them as the "French Genesis", but I don't hear it.  To me their earliest albums remind me musically of early VDGG (mostly because of the overall dark ambience and organ sounds that are similar between Hugh Banton and Francis Decamps) but without the Peter Hammill harshness that turns many people off and the totally unique Christian Decamps on vocals.  In other words, they're not the "French Anybody", they're Ange!  After that there were some stylistic changes and a more modern approach and sound, but with Christian always on vocals (and his brother Francis usually on keyboards) the magic remains.

Oh ya, did I mention I'm voting for Ange LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - November 07 2018 at 11:46
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 11:53
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

To me their earliest albums remind me musically of early VDGG (mostly because of the overall dark ambience and organ sounds that are similar between Hugh Banton and Francis Decamps) but without the Peter Hammill harshness that turns many people off and the totally unique Christian Decamps on vocals.

Funny you should mention that.  In 1974 I was living in Copenhagen.  I was dating a girl from France and early in the relationship she asked me what bands I liked.  I mentioned VDGG and she responded that I'd love Ange.  That was my introduction to Ange and she was absolutely right.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 12:44
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

To me their earliest albums remind me musically of early VDGG (mostly because of the overall dark ambience and organ sounds that are similar between Hugh Banton and Francis Decamps) but without the Peter Hammill harshness that turns many people off and the totally unique Christian Decamps on vocals.

Funny you should mention that.  In 1974 I was living in Copenhagen.  I was dating a girl from France and early in the relationship she asked me what bands I liked.  I mentioned VDGG and she responded that I'd love Ange.  That was my introduction to Ange and she was absolutely right.

Cool.  I always thought Caricatures and Le Cimitiere Des Arlequins sound like they could've been recorded in the same studio with the same engineers/producer as The Least We Can do is Wave, H to He & Pawn Hearts.  After that, the Ange albums took on a brighter sound with Au Dela Du Delire, Emile, Mandrin & Guet Apens.  I think all 6 Ange albums are brilliant and a great starting place for any who haven't yet ventured into French symphonic prog Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - November 07 2018 at 12:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>