Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ange vs Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which Band do you Prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [50.00%]
28 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 12:59
Those could be really good places to start. I started with Carpe Diem's En regardant passer le temps then Cueille le jour, then I got into Arachnoid, Shylock, Mona Lisa, Ange and Clearlight. For quite a long time French Prog was my very favourite Prog.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 15:25
Ange.
I admire Magma, but their music lacks themes you can remeber.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 16:59
Ange +1
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 18:37
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Those could be really good places to start. I started with Carpe Diem's En regardant passer le temps then Cueille le jour, then I got into Arachnoid, Shylock, Mona Lisa, Ange and Clearlight. For quite a long time French Prog was my very favourite Prog.

French is definitely my favorite non-English prog Wink

I started with Pulsar's Halloween, which has English lyrics which I couldn't understand anyway so I figured why not go for French prog with French lyrics so bought Ange's Par Les Fils de Mandrin.  That lead to more Ange and the rest of the Pulsar albums which opened the floodgates for Atoll, Arachnoid, Shylock, Elohim, Halloween, Quadra (with Christian on vox), Versailles, Memoriance, Et Cetera, Oniris, Carpe Diem and more.  

edit:  Oops, how could I forget to mention Pentacle and their excellent La Clef des Songes album produced by Christian Heart

I also wanted to mention that any Ange fans who haven't heard Mona Lisa should love them.  The debut album L'escapade is musically wonderful, but a little rough in sound quality/production.  After that though, the next 3 (Grimaces, Le Petit Violon... and Avant Qu'll ne Soit Trop Tard) are all excellent production and on par with the first batch of 70's Ange...highly recommended!

Edited by The.Crimson.King - November 07 2018 at 22:03
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 18:44
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ It sounds to me like you might want to check out Ange... I sure do want to do so (but haven't gotten around to it yet). It's one of the best rated bands from france, and I understand they have that theatrical vibe going on... often being compared to Genesis.

I just listened to their Au-delà du délire album, it's actually really good! But then I asked myself, "is it better than MDK?" and the answer of course was no(not that any album is). So vote goes to Magma here. Surprised how good these guys are though. 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 22:02
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Vole, blonde tête folle
On les voyait quitter leur robe blanche..

Handshake

J'étais le prince sur son carrosse
Ma muse pleurait aux étoiles
Puis je redeviens le chien

If you've never heard Ange or only a limited amount, check out one of their best, Sur la Trace des Fees (On the Trail of the Fairy - 1975).  To me it represents all the best qualities of Ange and if you don't like this one, you likely won't like Ange.

Ange isn't the first French band I got into (that was Pulsar) but they're the kings of quintessential French prog and remain active (24 studio albums and counting as of their 2018 release).  And to answer an earlier question, if you're into symphonic prog you absolutely can't go wrong with any of the 1st 6 studio albums from Caricatures through Guet Apens.  Many refer to them as the "French Genesis", but I don't hear it.  To me their earliest albums remind me musically of early VDGG (mostly because of the overall dark ambience and organ sounds that are similar between Hugh Banton and Francis Decamps) but without the Peter Hammill harshness that turns many people off and the totally unique Christian Decamps on vocals.  In other words, they're not the "French Anybody", they're Ange!  After that there were some stylistic changes and a more modern approach and sound, but with Christian always on vocals (and his brother Francis usually on keyboards) the magic remains.

Oh ya, did I mention I'm voting for Ange LOL

This sounds beautiful indeed. It has certainly risen my interest.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 02:15
Ange, one of my all-time favourites. I really like Magma, but they are not even my favourite Zeuhl band.
Bigger on the inside.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 04:15
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ It sounds to me like you might want to check out Ange... I sure do want to do so (but haven't gotten around to it yet). It's one of the best rated bands from france, and I understand they have that theatrical vibe going on... often being compared to Genesis.

I just listened to their Au-delà du délire album, it's actually really good! But then I asked myself, "is it better than MDK?" and the answer of course was no(not that any album is). So vote goes to Magma here. Surprised how good these guys are though. 

why are you surprised? Ange is one of the best French prog bands. 
Is Au dela du delire better than MDK? Two very different albums and prog subgenres. Better how? Performance? Skill? Songwriting? Both albums deliver the goods. Big smile

70s Ange is a must listen. 
I even enjoy some of their 80s stuff. More enjoyable (for me) than what some famous Brits did in that time LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 07:45
True story here:

About ten years ago I went to see Return to Forever at an outdoor venue(the opening act for those wondering was Bela Fleck). Anyway, I hear this guy speaking French to someone who is ostensibly his girlfriend on his way in the men's room. I then asked him if was familiar with Magma. His response was something like "of course, I've seen them live too." I said I have also. Then I asked him about Ange. Apparently I may have pronounced their name wrong since he at first didn't seem sure who I was referring to. He then said something like "oh yes, I don't like them too much though." LOL I guess maybe he wasn't much into symphonic prog although I did get the feeling he was a big prog fan in general. So that's that. 

I'm actually not familiar enough with both bands to vote but unofficially I'll say Magma. The few tracks I've heard by Ange sounded good though but I really don't know them very well(yet).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 16:21
Two of the leading lights of French Prog. Hard choice, though I’ll cast my vote in the direction of Ange, if only for that warbling Viscount organ of Francis.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 17:01

I don't mean this as a criticism YESESIS, but more something that I realized about myself and prog from your words.

I'm guessing you've listened to MDK dozens, maybe hundreds of times while listening to Au Dela Du Delire once before being pleasantly surprised, but deciding it could never compete with Magma.  I'm sure if I listened to MDK once for comparison, I'd be pleasantly surprised but convinced there's no way I could ever like it more than any Ange album.  I could be right, but I could be wrong and that's what makes prog so great!  For me, the number of 5 star prog albums that I didn't like until the 3rd or 7th or 13th listening is pretty large and still surprises me.  Some wound up being among my favorite albums (Lizard, Relayer, Still Life, Acquiring the Taste, The Lamb, Benefit, etc) where some never got beyond the level of a connection that never clicked (Scheherazade, Udu Wudu, Hot Rats, Images and Words, etc) and that's what makes prog so unique.  There's more to be found on repeated listening compared to most other forms of rock.  You hear Johnny B Goode or Jumpin' Jack Flash once and you pretty much got it, where really good prog presents layers and layers to discover/uncover with each listening.

So don't give up on Ange so fast my friend.  You may never like them more than Magma, but that pleasant surprise you felt on first listening may have planted a seed that will bloom in a few months or maybe a few years to a fully developed case of Ange mania.  Au Dela Du Delire indeed Handshake

Edited by The.Crimson.King - November 08 2018 at 17:07
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 17:35

So don't give up on Ange so fast my friend.  You may never like them more than Magma, but that pleasant surprise you felt on first listening may have planted a seed that will bloom in a few months or maybe a few years to a fully developed case of Ange mania.  Au Dela Du Delire indeed Handshake

In my case, I listen to Magma a little bit more.  For instance, I listen to MDK a little more than I do Cimitiere, but not much.  I watch my Trilogie au Trianon & Mythes Et Legendes discs a little more than the various Ange live discs that I have, but not by much.  I'd say that I listen to my favorite King Crimson albums and watch King Crimson videos more than either.  But not by much.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 19:30

I don't mean this as a criticism YESESIS, but more something that I realized about myself and prog from your words.

I'm guessing you've listened to MDK dozens, maybe hundreds of times while listening to Au Dela Du Delire once before being pleasantly surprised, but deciding it could never compete with Magma.  I'm sure if I listened to MDK once for comparison, I'd be pleasantly surprised but convinced there's no way I could ever like it more than any Ange album.  I could be right, but I could be wrong and that's what makes prog so great!  For me, the number of 5 star prog albums that I didn't like until the 3rd or 7th or 13th listening is pretty large and still surprises me.  Some wound up being among my favorite albums (Lizard, Relayer, Still Life, Acquiring the Taste, The Lamb, Benefit, etc) where some never got beyond the level of a connection that never clicked (Scheherazade, Udu Wudu, Hot Rats, Images and Words, etc) and that's what makes prog so unique.  There's more to be found on repeated listening compared to most other forms of rock.  You hear Johnny B Goode or Jumpin' Jack Flash once and you pretty much got it, where really good prog presents layers and layers to discover/uncover with each listening.

Hey man, no you're absolutely right. I've only listened to that album once and listened to MDK LOT'S of times(for a while I was listening to it every day!) Actually the very first time I listened to it I didn't like it, but I started listening to it for meditation and BOY did it click! By the way, Udu Wudu and Hot Rats are both legitimately good albums, I strongly recommend giving them another try. But really good point, sometimes with prog it takes repeated listens(I didn't like Brain Salad Surgery the first time I heard it). So yeah good post and I have not given up on Ange, in fact earlier tonight I listened to Le Cimetière des Arlequins and liked it a lot as well. I'm liking these guys so far, for sure. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 19:39
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

why are you surprised? Ange is one of the best French prog bands. 
Is Au dela du delire better than MDK? Two very different albums and prog subgenres. Better how? Performance? Skill? Songwriting? Both albums deliver the goods. Big smile

70s Ange is a must listen. 
I even enjoy some of their 80s stuff. More enjoyable (for me) than what some famous Brits did in that time LOL

Stop it lol. Yeah I was kind of surprised only because I thought that if they were all that good then I would have heard of them by now. But yeah I guess there's a lot of great non-english speaking music that I have yet to discover, Micky is helping me with that also. And I agree both albums definitely deliver the goods, big time. 

I like both these bands, I just had to make a decision for this poll and have been a fan of Magma for a while now while just starting to get into Ange. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 20:07

Hey man, no you're absolutely right. I've only listened to that album once and listened to MDK LOT'S of times(for a while I was listening to it every day!) Actually the very first time I listened to it I didn't like it, but I started listening to it for meditation and BOY did it click! By the way, Udu Wudu and Hot Rats are both legitimately good albums, I strongly recommend giving them another try. But really good point, sometimes with prog it takes repeated listens(I didn't like Brain Salad Surgery the first time I heard it). So yeah good post and I have not given up on Ange, in fact earlier tonight I listened to Le Cimetière des Arlequins and liked it a lot as well. I'm liking these guys so far, for sure. 

Cool.  Sometimes it's those albums that are the toughest to get into that deliver the goods as time goes on.  Cimitiere was my 2nd Ange album and I really love it.  I hope you dig into Ange and find lots of great French prog there.  I highly recommend starting with those 1st 6 studio albums from Caricatures to Guet Apens.  I really like a couple 90's Ange albums too (Les Larmes Du Dalai Lama and Nu), but for me it's those 1st 6 that really bring the magic Thumbs Up

I've got over 40 Zappa albums and have given Hot Rats lots of chances over the years, but other than Peaches En Regalia it just hasn't clicked...then again, it's been years since I've given it a spin so I'll give Frank another shot.  As far as Udu Wudu, I absolutely love De Futura so haven't given up on Magma just yet LOL  

Have you seen this live version before...it's amazing!

Edited by The.Crimson.King - November 08 2018 at 20:09
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 23:32
Btw regarding all this discussion about Ange and how they compare with Magma in quality etc... the former band's got two, maybe three genuine progclassics but lost some of their bite and "magic" early on - and has released A LOT of crap. I can easily understand how it wasn't to the taste of the french Magma-fan that AFlowerKingCrimson met. From what I tried I imagine I'd enjoy less than 15% of their total output (with Magma its closer to 90%). Its probably a little like asking a Zappa-fan if he or she knows this other american act: Kansas  
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 18:02

Cool.  Sometimes it's those albums that are the toughest to get into that deliver the goods as time goes on.  Cimitiere was my 2nd Ange album and I really love it.  I hope you dig into Ange and find lots of great French prog there.  I highly recommend starting with those 1st 6 studio albums from Caricatures to Guet Apens.  I really like a couple 90's Ange albums too (Les Larmes Du Dalai Lama and Nu), but for me it's those 1st 6 that really bring the magic Thumbs Up

I've got over 40 Zappa albums and have given Hot Rats lots of chances over the years, but other than Peaches En Regalia it just hasn't clicked...then again, it's been years since I've given it a spin so I'll give Frank another shot.  As far as Udu Wudu, I absolutely love De Futura so haven't given up on Magma just yet LOL  

Have you seen this live version before...it's amazing!

Wow, yeah that's really good. Thanks for posting it. And for Ange, first 6 albums huh? I don't know if I'll ever like them as much as Magma.. or Zappa.. Gentle Giant.. but you never know. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 18:17
I have lot of time for Ange.. great group.. but let's be honest.. they are NO Magma.

a favorite of mine of theirs...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 19:07
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I have lot of time for Ange.. great group.. but let's be honest.. they are NO Magma.

a favorite of mine of theirs...

Oh sh*t son! That was ass kicking, I might have to rethink this whole thing now lol. No, Magma's still Magma. Thanks for posting this. Poll is tied now! Some passionate fans on both sides here, should be interesting coming down the stretch. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 20:33
^ yeah that was a kick in the pants wasn't it. Love that song and that performance. Ange really is a damn good group and had a some borderline great albums. Still though...  Magma is quite simply in a class by itself.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>