Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Herbie Mann for jazz/rock fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katatonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herbie Mann for jazz/rock fusion
    Posted: November 07 2018 at 22:29
the first time I heard of Herbie Mann was a cd in hands of my flutist classmate,she was working with my teacher. my teacher has a band and wanted her to play flute for his album with the inspiration of Mann's style. I saw that hairy album cover LOL and it really got me...

I was listening to herbie mann and was thinking why he's not in this home of prog.
he's mostly mentioned as soul/jazz but he has beautiful prog stuff,the beautiful and soulful flow of melodies.
I'm gonna share some stuff here

am sure many music geeks here know this guy, but for those who are about to know,enjoy the journey :)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 22:35
Push Push has one of the most iconic album covers of all time, at least in worst-of lists. ;)

If you think that album cover's something, perhaps check out Sean Connery in Zardoz (and a dog).

Think I informally discussed the possibility of Herbie Mann with the Jazz-Rock Fusion team at one time years ago, and they weren't too keen.

Irregardless of whether Herbie Mann is considered, I really love Stone Flute.

Edited by Logan - November 07 2018 at 22:39
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katatonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 22:45
that picture was awesome ClapCryLOL

and I'm enjoying the hell of the music you shared HandshakeBeer

I hope they reconsider him and let us have this beauty in here
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 01:14
Yes Herbie was a good looking hunk for sure. Big fan and actually been thinking of suggesting him over the years. Plenty of "Jazz-flute" guys such as Mann and Jeremy Steig has at least a handful of jazzrock-fusion albums in their discography. 

Imo, these are the albums with a Progarchives-relevance - sometimes about a 100% and others maybe half the material. All from very good to fantastic:

Impressions of the Middle East (1967)
The Wailing Dervishes (1967)
Windows Opened (1968)
Live at the Whisky A Go Go (1969)
Concerto Grosso in D Blues (1969)
Memphis Underground (1969)
Stone Flute (1970)
Hold On, I'm Comin' (1973)
Muscle Shoals Nitty Gritty (1970)

Much like Chico Hamilton he's got some distinct fusion-tunes quite early on not given credit for (check out the former Man Form Two Worlds/Lady Gabor both 1963 featuring Gabor Szabo on guitar - and tell that's not jazzfusion).   

Back to Mann I'd also warmly recommend his trio of Village Gate-album 1962, 1963 & 1966. Fantasic playing with great line-ups. Not "prog" but lots of progressive middle eastern-inspired & afrocarribbean/latin jams. Good thing is that Herbie ruined his reputation with an armada of disco/funk & smooth jazz later on (the Push Push-coverart didn't help either) so you'll get most of these dead cheap on vinyl. 

Stone Flute is an all-time fav. but lately this (the whole album) has been given the most spins. Just wait for that rockin' oud-solo: 

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 02:10
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Push Push has one of the most iconic album covers of all time, at least in worst-of lists. ;)

If you think that album cover's something, perhaps check out Sean Connery in Zardoz (and a dog).

Think I informally discussed the possibility of Herbie Mann with the Jazz-Rock Fusion team at one time years ago, and they weren't too keen

I thought at first that it was Burt Reynolds (both on the album and in movie picture)Tongue

Indeed, I don't think it would be wise to include HM...

I mean, we could easily include all of jazz simply on the account of their early 70's albums...

If we were to do that, I'd lobby in McCoy Tyner, who's got at least 8 or11 albums (almost every one between Expansions (69) until Horizon (79) and possibly until 82 with Looking Out)  until that could fit in the JR/F mould.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 05:10
I love Herbie and have some 5 (maybe 6?) albums of his. Not sure whether he fits on PA though as I’ve always thought of him as a jazz musician....but sure Stone Flute and a couple of other albums feels like fusion.

And yes that cover art is hilarious in such a wrong way....so bad it’s actually cool.

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 08 2018 at 05:10
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 07:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I love Herbie and have some 5 (maybe 6?) albums of his. Not sure whether he fits on PA though as I’ve always thought of him as a jazz musician....but sure Stone Flute and a couple of other albums feels like fusion.
To be honest I'm not certain either. But he's got a handful of albums that's undoubtly jazzrock-fusion. I'm not always certain where you draw the line between a jazz fused with rock considered progressive and a similar fusion not considered progressive. I'd be more certain about Michael Naura, Dave Pike Set, Akira Ishikawa & His Count Buffalos, The Full Moon Band mm... 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 07:31
He doesn't really fit here IMO. But I have put him forward for inclusion on Raw Sex Archive and am optimistic about his prospects.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 07:34
Herbie Mann as prog rock musician would definitely be a first in the world of musicology.

As Hughes already pointed out, every jazz musician in the world cut a couple fusion albums in the early 70s. You can't blame a working musician for following the money, and that was where the money was at in those days.

Here are some more jazz musicians who cut a couple fusion records; Donald Byrd, Freddie Hubbard, Ahmad Jamal, Les McCann, Pharoh Sanders, McCoy Tyner, Carlos Garnett, Elvin Jones, John Schofield, Don Cherry, Stanley Cowell, Gil Evans, Wadada Leo Smith, Harry Beckett, Gary Burton, Charles Lloyd, Harold Land, Joe Farrell, Ernie Watts, Jim Hall, Bobbi Humphreys, Phil Woods, Cannonball Adderly, Kenny Barron, Darius Brubeck, and there is more.

Edited by Easy Money - November 08 2018 at 20:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 08:05
^yep and loads and loads more. Still the majority of them are just as relevant for PA as Wayne Shorter and Julian Priester - who are both included in the archives. But I don't really care if they're here or not - and I imagine the artists themselves are quite indifferent     
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katatonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 20:00
with this logic then why can't we add Funkadelic here?sure they have a couple of records which happen to crossover with progressive music.
and the things is why don't we cast all these guys as prog related? or proto-prog in that matter,since that movement led to jazz/rock fusion later
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 21:41
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Herbie Mann as prog rock musician would definitely be a first in the world of musicology.

As Hughes already pointed out, every jazz musician in the world cut a couple fusion albums in the early 70s. You can't blame a working musician for following the money, and that was where the money was at in those days.

Here are some more jazz musicians who cut a couple fusion records; Donald Byrd, Freddie Hubbard, Ahmad Jamal, Les McCann, Pharoh Sanders, McCoy Tyner, Carlos Garnett, Elvin Jones, John Schofield, Don Cherry, Stanley Cowell, Gil Evans, Wadada Leo Smith, Harry Beckett, Gary Burton, Charles Lloyd, Harold Land, Joe Farrell, Ernie Watts, Jim Hall, Bobbi Humphreys, Phil Woods, Cannonball Adderly, Kenny Barron, Darius Brubeck, and there is more.

Isn't it the policy of the site to include artists even if they have one or two albums? Personally i think all these artists need to stay on JMA. It's just a click away to the jazz zone whre they are already added. Maybe an honorable mention somewher explaining that no one wants to add their behemoth discographies LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 23:03
Originally posted by katatonia katatonia wrote:

with this logic then why can't we add Funkadelic here?sure they have a couple of records which happen to crossover with progressive music.
We can actually - at least in theory... as its exactly how and why hundreds of bands and artists that are mainly purely jazz or mainstream rock (or funk, new age, new wave etc...) have been added to the archives already. 
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katatonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 09:33
yea
for me it's very soothing when I find an album here,see the ratings and reviews by guys and then give it a listen. it has such a pleasure . I don't see good ratings and reviews in JMA for many of prog-related or proto-prog jazz musicians
 Post Reply Post Reply