Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Court vs Schizoid Man

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which King Crimson song do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [36.49%]
28 [37.84%]
18 [24.32%]
1 [1.35%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Court vs Schizoid Man
    Posted: November 09 2018 at 14:35
I heard 21st century schizoid man on the radio yesterday. Ok, it was an independent college radio station but still cool to hear. Anyway, it got me to thinking which of these songs do I like better. 
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 14:40
Both excellent, but 21st century schizoid man for me. Packs a powerful punch and leaves a lasting impression.
Songs cast a light on you
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 14:43
Both are excellent to me and KC is probably my favorite prog band....2 completely different types of song.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 15:22
21st Century Schizoid Man for sure, while In the Court of the Crimson King is incredibly beautiful and powerful, I personally don't think much can beat 21st Century Schizoid Man
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 15:25
Court for me...I'll take the drenched in mellotron track every time LOL
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 15:26
Two very different song, but equally excellent I think.
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 15:29
Court by a nose
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 15:37
My problem with court is it's too long and too repetitive. You can even make an argument that it's not really prog but just a stretched out rock song with mellotron and flute. Won't get fooled again is a long song. If it had flute and mellotron would it be prog? :P Anyway, I like both but I think schizoid man is one of the best prog songs period.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 15:49
21st for me 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 16:59
"Court" by a morsel of cat food.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 17:23
Court. It has that indefinable ethereal nature and grandeur that...wait, I guess it is definable. Never mind.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 18:01
Both essential prog. Schizoid for me. A powerhouse of an opening song, on an opening album, from a group that is still going strong today. 
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 18:06
What a difficult choice! The wonderful primeval power of 21st Century Schizoid Man or the atmospheric richness of In the Court of the Crimson King! I have to go for 'Court' though, with its drenching of mellotron, Sinfield's Gormangest lyrics and the Dance of The Puppets! (sadly not played on rock radio because it dares to have a few seconds of dead air time beforehand!)

Despite my love of classic Genesis, Yes, ELP, Tull etc. If I wanted to play something to show what traditional, mainstream prog rock was all about - I'd play them 'Court' - although quickly followed by Supper's Ready, Thick As a Brick, CTTE, Tarkus, Starless, Lunar Sea, etc. before they escaped out of the room in fright!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 19:23
I have warmed to the Schizoid Man over the years, didn't really like it in the beginning, bit the wonderful Court still beats it.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 20:29
both great but Court wins out quite easily
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 21:22
Court for me, though the live version of Schizoid Man on Collectable Vol 1 (or USA) sounds so much better to me that it would make the choice a little bit more difficult. However, from the debut, my very favourite is Epitaph.
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 22:06
Schizoid maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayn
Dragged down by the stone
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 07:27
I go for Schizoid
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 08:37
I voted both. These are obviously the two best tracks off Itchycock, but they are quite different. Nowadays I favour Schizoid just a bit, but in earlier dais I'd go for Court.

Edited by someone_else - November 10 2018 at 08:37
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 15:08
I used to prefer Court, but the more older I become the more I love 21st Century Schizoid Man. Brilliant song from 1969 Clap

The same happens with Pictures of a city from ITWOP.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>