Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Triumvirat-Old Loves Die Hard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Triumvirat-Old Loves Die Hard
    Posted: November 09 2018 at 21:56
This thread is about Triumvirat's 4th studio album, 1976's Old Loves Die Hard. Featuring the band as a quartet for the first time, with original musician Dick Frangenberg returning on bass and new British vocalist Barry Palmer joining Juergen Fritz on keys, and Hans Bathelt on drums (the last album to feature Bathelt who was the original drummer).
          This album is in my opinion the last great one by Triumvirat, and is a strong, solid one, highlighted by some great lead vocals by Palmer and jaw dropping instrumental technique from Fritz.
        The record scored a Number One position in Portugal, but in other areas, did not surpass or even reach the popular appeal of it's predecessor Spartacus. Still, an important and vital saga in the history of the band.

Edited by presdoug - November 09 2018 at 21:57
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 05:48
A US Promo poster for Old Loves Die Hard

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 06:58
I really like this album. Especially the title track.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 09:58
This is a favourite of mine.  It was certainly popular in Montreal at time of release, with "I Believe", "History of Mystery" and the title track all getting a lot of airplay.  I though Barry Palmer was either the perfect vocalist for the group or they chose the best material to complement Palmer.  BTW, for thos who might not know, he was the vocalist for several Mike Oldfield songs in the early to mid 1980s, inlcuding one of my favourites by him, the guy version of "Moonlight Shadow" called "Crime of Passion"
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 12:15
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

This is a favourite of mine.  It was certainly popular in Montreal at time of release, with "I Believe", "History of Mystery" and the title track all getting a lot of airplay.  I though Barry Palmer was either the perfect vocalist for the group or they chose the best material to complement Palmer.  BTW, for thos who might not know, he was the vocalist for several Mike Oldfield songs in the early to mid 1980s, inlcuding one of my favourites by him, the guy version of "Moonlight Shadow" called "Crime of Passion"
That is so cool about Montreal, Ken, thanks for the reminiscence. Barry Palmer, who is a facebook friend of mine, is appearing next February in a Mike Oldfield Tribute show in Spain!

Edited by presdoug - November 10 2018 at 12:18
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 21:18
I'm embarrassed to say that I thought Barry Palmer had died years ago.  It was obviously somebody else and I thought it was him!  But did you know, if his date of birth on the web is to be believed, he was a tender 18 at the time Old Loves Die Hard was released?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 06:09

I'm embarrassed to say that I thought Barry Palmer had died years ago.  It was obviously somebody else and I thought it was him!  But did you know, if his date of birth on the web is to be believed, he was a tender 18 at the time Old Loves Die Hard was released?
You were thinking of Triumvirat's Helmut Koellen, who died way back on May 3rd, 1977. I am uncertain of Barry's actual birthdate, as the one on facebook at least, is not fully accurate.
       Ken, have you ever heard Helmut's solo album, released after he died?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 06:37
^ yes that could me.  No I haven't heard it.  Worth picking up?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 07:36

^ yes that could me.  No I haven't heard it.  Worth picking up?
Definitely worth getting; it is a lovely record, not as progressive as Triumvirat, but very well done all the same; I wrote a review of it:

You Won't See Me is the debut solo album by the late Helmut Koellen, formerly a Guitar Player/Lead Vocalist for the German progressive rock band Triumvirat, and also previously a session musician/vocalist for German group Jail.
             Mr. Koellen's solo album was released in October, 1977, in both Germany and South America, after his death earlier that year. The recording is the best example of Helmut's musical inclinations after having split from Triumvirat at the end of 1975.
                 You Won't See Me has some elements from Koellen's past, combined with a direction that was somewhat new to fans. It seems as if he still had a partial connection to progressive rock, with elements of that genre evident in the rock, jazz, folk, and almost funk influences the nine songs that make up this album have at times. Though, in the same breath, this recording is not as progressive or symphonic as his previous work in Triumvirat-the numbers here are shorter, and less elaborate, instrumentally. Listening to You Won't See Me is definitely a very refreshing, and ultimately rewarding experience, though. Helmut does all the lead vocals in his unique and very special way, a truly great voice he has, and a great pleasure to hear.
               Lyrically, there is a lot going on here, from a story of a love affair gone wrong in It's Hard To Love You, to achieving something superhuman in I'll Walk On The River, to the spirit of brotherhood in Playin' This Song Together, a mutually enlightening conversation with an elderly woman on a plane in Listen Lady, to being ready to go out for the evening in Station, and the story of "living the high life" in The Story Of Life. The real "rocker" song here is Mainstreet, a song whose story is in it's title, and so catchy and infectious, well, it could have been a big Rock Anthem, for sure.
                There is one cover song here, that of the Beatles song You Won't See Me, a fairly laid back approach, complete with strings added.
                    The female background vocals on this album, sometimes by Helmut's sister, Elke, are nice, as well. Instrumentally, all songs are indicative of some very tasteful playing, which unites with the vocal parts quite excellently, and voice and instrument are never at odds with each other, but always complimentary.
                 This solo album is a splendid, and overlooked one, at that. On hearing it over and over, I marvel at it's crafty intelligence, and general accessibility. And very indicative of Helmut Koellen's unique and very special musicality, which always came straight from his heart, a truly sincere and genuine artist.

Edited by presdoug - November 11 2018 at 07:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 16:58
Well written, Doug.  Solo albums from band members oftebn display a more eclectic mix than what the band was about, as we get to hear the breadth of musical interests, many of which don't fit into the band's sometimes pigeonholed identity
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 19:38
curious about this album now
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 05:40
Love it. First Triumvirat album I heard, and a close second to IOADD. A little more poppy, but in a very good way. Reminds me of Supertramp in spots.

I had the cover with the mouse and magnifying glass. The other one, with the black and white typography wouldn't have been as good. My enjoyment of music is strongly influenced by the associated visuals and that one just doesn't do much for me.

Edited by stegor - November 21 2018 at 05:42
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 13:35
Fantastic album. This right here is the pinnacle.

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 13:52
Their last really good record. I enjoy it a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply