Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KC: In The Wake Of Poseidon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KC: In The Wake Of Poseidon
    Posted: November 10 2018 at 09:09
The follow up to ItCotKC, In The Wake is viewed as a b*****d stepchild but I find that it has many charms. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 09:14
One of my favorites by them.....I like the fact it is similar to the first.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 15:25
it's pretty good, especially "Cadence and Cascade" and the title track
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 15:46
It definitely has its charms - but it was a bit of comedown from the debut though.

Edited by Squonk19 - November 10 2018 at 15:52
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 16:22
Love it just as much as ITCOTCK Wink
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 16:28
Cadence and cascade best song worst cat food my opinion only,the rest i can take it or leave it
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 16:54
I like it a lot. It does lose some points for being a bit of an imitator of the first but I really think it's pretty under rated over all actually.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone on here knows why the Greg Lake version of Cadence and Cascade wasn't used? I think the album would sound more cohesive if all the songs were by the same singer. Yes, even if they had Jon Anderson sing on one of them, which they of course did on Lizard, I would still feel that way. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 18:46
Well... is it a good album and do I like to listen to it? Yes, absolutely!
But does it belong to the amazingly long list of really innovative and top exciting KC albums? Rather not.
The title track and Cadence and Cascade are very good but in the innovation and excitement dept. the leading track is The Devil's Triangle. ITCOTKC and Lizard have much more to offer in that respect.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 19:11
Their best. 50% better than first album. More to date, better composition, better sound, better playing.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 21:31
I really only like the title song on this one, while I do love the debut. I do find Wake of Poseidon to have made a point of including equivalents of each song from the previous albums, and I do find every equivalent to be inferior... except perhaps to the title song, which is great (but even so, I do like Epitaph better, and Court of the Crimson King at least as good).
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 22:40
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Their best. 50% better than first album. More to date, better composition, better sound, better playing.

Not in the drumming department. The Mike Giles drumming sounds sloppy on Wake compared to Court. 
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 03:37
It has charm, but it's definitely in the second division of KC albums
Songs cast a light on you
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 06:12
It is my favorite KC album, and has a very special atmosphere about it.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 06:40
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I really only like the title song on this one, while I do love the debut. I do find Wake of Poseidon to have made a point of including equivalents of each song from the previous albums, and I do find every equivalent to be inferior... except perhaps to the title song, which is great (but even so, I do like Epitaph better, and Court of the Crimson King at least as good).

The break on ITWOP is mellotronic beauty, perhaps my favorite KC passage, but once the third verse begins it's all downhill
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 06:46
Good album, but not among my favourites of theirs, and notable in the 1969-1974 output for not showing very much creative development from the previous album. Perhaps it's harsh to consider that a criticism when so many bands just remake the same album for their entire career, but Fripp & co. would go on to set themselves a high bar in that regard.

The oh-so-cheesy use of Holst's Mars was a horrible error of taste, I've always thought.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 06:59
Cadence is a killer track. Underrated recording for me. I'll give it a listen through once or twice a year or so.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 12:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Not in the drumming department. The Mike Giles drumming sounds sloppy on Wake compared to Court. 

Sounds good to me. I wonder why the first album is rated like it is. Sounds too dated and the band is a bit raw with their composition ideas
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 12:36
The jazz break on Pictures Of A City is one of the most catchy sections King Crimson ever produced and far superior to the beginning line of the schizoid jazz section.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 16:15
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

The jazz break on Pictures Of A City is one of the most catchy sections King Crimson ever produced and far superior to the beginning line of the schizoid jazz section.

Correct. I also love Cadence, Posiedon and Cat food. Groon is fun and Triangle interesting. The songs are a step up from Court album. Lizard is similar to Posiedon but Haskell's voice sounds horrible on games and family.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 20:11
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Good album, but not among my favourites of theirs, and notable in the 1969-1974 output for not showing very much creative development from the previous album. Perhaps it's harsh to consider that a criticism when so many bands just remake the same album for their entire career, but Fripp & co. would go on to set themselves a high bar in that regard.

The oh-so-cheesy use of Holst's Mars was a horrible error of taste, I've always thought.

I actually like their use of Mars on their early live shows, with the original line-up... though I do prefer it over it's use on this album. On the other hand, I believe their fame of not repeating themselves and always being creative is a bit exagerated... I mean, it's true, up to a point, but on the other hand, once making Schizoid Man, and later the Larks tongues in Aspic songs (specially part 2), they did repeat that formula, or that set of mind, on almost every album at least for a few songs.

Unfortunatley, they did drop the attempt at writing songs like Epitaph, Court, and Poseidon, or even Starless, and even sooner they dropped trying to make songs like I talk to the Wind and Cadence and Cascade.

Edited by Dellinger - November 11 2018 at 20:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>