Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KC: In The Wake Of Poseidon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 20:32
Fripp himself has said that once the band that played on the first album broke up, he knew that the follow up could only be second-best or the wrong means to an end. Poseidon has some great music. Pictures of a City, Cadence and Cascade, the title track, are all great (and Cat Food and Groon!). However, the best versions of each of these songs is actually found on the live recordings that were released as part of the Epitaph box sets. For me the worst is Devil's Triangle. Crimson was playing a live version of Mars (from Holst 'The Planets') in their gigs, and it was great. He changed it slightly for the Poseidon album, adding these awful silence-breaks in between the sections, so that it he could re-name it (assumedly so as not to infringe copyright or something). It is so much weaker than the live Mars versions. So, great songs, but these are second-best versions of tunes played best by the former version of Crimson.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 21:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Good album, but not among my favourites of theirs, and notable in the 1969-1974 output for not showing very much creative development from the previous album. Perhaps it's harsh to consider that a criticism when so many bands just remake the same album for their entire career, but Fripp & co. would go on to set themselves a high bar in that regard.

The oh-so-cheesy use of Holst's Mars was a horrible error of taste, I've always thought.

I actually like their use of Mars on their early live shows, with the original line-up... though I do prefer it over it's use on this album. On the other hand, I believe their fame of not repeating themselves and always being creative is a bit exagerated... I mean, it's true, up to a point, but on the other hand, once making Schizoid Man, and later the Larks tongues in Aspic songs (specially part 2), they did repeat that formula, or that set of mind, on almost every album at least for a few songs.

Unfortunatley, they did drop the attempt at writing songs like Epitaph, Court, and Poseidon, or even Starless, and even sooner they dropped trying to make songs like I talk to the Wind and Cadence and Cascade.

I read somewhere that "Fallen Angel" was the last KC song to feature acoustic guitar.  Fripp's unique acoustic style was one of the reasons I fell in love with a bunch of early KC songs.   That gone, along with a focus on harder edged stuff, made me less and less of a fan as time went by.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 21:19
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Good album, but not among my favourites of theirs, and notable in the 1969-1974 output for not showing very much creative development from the previous album. Perhaps it's harsh to consider that a criticism when so many bands just remake the same album for their entire career, but Fripp & co. would go on to set themselves a high bar in that regard.

The oh-so-cheesy use of Holst's Mars was a horrible error of taste, I've always thought.

I actually like their use of Mars on their early live shows, with the original line-up... though I do prefer it over it's use on this album. On the other hand, I believe their fame of not repeating themselves and always being creative is a bit exagerated... I mean, it's true, up to a point, but on the other hand, once making Schizoid Man, and later the Larks tongues in Aspic songs (specially part 2), they did repeat that formula, or that set of mind, on almost every album at least for a few songs.

Unfortunatley, they did drop the attempt at writing songs like Epitaph, Court, and Poseidon, or even Starless, and even sooner they dropped trying to make songs like I talk to the Wind and Cadence and Cascade.

I read somewhere that "Fallen Angel" was the last KC song to feature acoustic guitar.  Fripp's unique acoustic style was one of the reasons I fell in love with a bunch of early KC songs.   That gone, along with a focus on harder edged stuff, made me less and less of a fan as time went by.

Yeah the best songs on red, larks and starless are night watchman, book of Saturdays and exiles imo. Not that fond of the heavy stuff from those 3 apart from the instrumentals. I really think Wettons voice doesn't sound good at all when he screams a bit.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 21:26
^ Yeah agreed about those songs.  I know they couldn't keep doing Epitaph and the Court over and over, and they were evolving, but, I mean, "Cirkus" was to me, an example of a direction they could have taken and didn't.  That is a full fledged masterpiece and the stuff he does on his acoustic guitar blew my young mind without drugs
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 21:36
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^ Yeah agreed about those songs.  I know they couldn't keep doing Epitaph and the Court over and over, and they were evolving, but, I mean, "Cirkus" was to me, an example of a direction they could have taken and didn't.  That is a full fledged masterpiece and the stuff he does on his acoustic guitar blew my young mind without drugs

Yeah I like the jazz era crimson. They continued with Islands. I would have preferred Lizard and Islands with Lake on vocals. Haskell's voice isn't suited to Crimson. He does a great job on his solo It is and it isn't from the same year though. 
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 20:46
^ I would actually have loved Lake to keep on singing through the 70's... I'm not really a fan of John Wetton singing, and I can only imagine how beautiful things like Exiles and Starless would have sounded with him on vocals. But for bass I do prefer Wetton... what he did with Bruford on their live version of Schizoid Man is just fantastic.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 01:01
I think ITWOP is marginally better than the debut. That is to say, simply enjoy it a little more.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 01:40
I love it! If it was follow up album from some obscurer band we wouldn't be having this endless discussion about how parts resembles their debut. We would have just enjoyed another album packed with more great music. I think Devil's Triangle is a wonderfully eerie tale turning into a nightmare in sound. I much prefer it to Holst-or a Holst cover-version. All the songs here are greatly crafted and unique experiences. The title track is about as beautiful as prog can get. Why not just enjoy it? Would you be unable to look at a painting by an artist you like if it had areas that resembled an earlier work? Could you not enjoy literature that revisits similar themes as the authors former book? 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 21:28
^ I don't mind it being similar to the debut, it's just that the only song I really enjoy in this one is the title track, the rest just don't do much for me. Either if I compare them with their counterparts from the debut or just listen to the album without thinking of the previous one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12