Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brexit: A change of heart??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Poll Question: Have you changed your mind either way?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [45.95%]
18 [48.65%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 07:34
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

^ It’s the NHS that’s dangerous - feeding the patients chips, biscuits, cakes and mixed drugs then complaining they haven’t got enough resources to cope with the epidemics of diabetes and cancer. I didn’t vote anyway, I decided to contribute to the low turnout figure and the Conservatives, Labour and Liberals were all too embarrassed to put any leaflets through the door.

My God, that's horrifying. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 08:45
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

^ It’s the NHS that’s dangerous - feeding the patients chips, biscuits, cakes and mixed drugs then complaining they haven’t got enough resources to cope with the epidemics of diabetes and cancer. I didn’t vote anyway, I decided to contribute to the low turnout figure and the Conservatives, Labour and Liberals were all too embarrassed to put any leaflets through the door.

There is no cancer epidemic. Go lookup up what epidemic means..

That said, I do agree that the NHS is a shambles, and the feeding routines for patients are bizarre and badly managed. The food is appalling, and patients who are too weak to eat but need to eat to gain strength are left alone with their food sitting on front of them, untouched only to be thrown out later. I've seen these on numerous ocassions recently in more than one hospital.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 03:20
Looks like we could have a general election in October if MP's block a No Deal Brexit.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 03:31
Nobody had posted for almost three months, here? Shocked
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Looks like we could have a general election in October if MP's block a No Deal Brexit.

seems like the only sensible solution (IMHO), but one that BoJo The Clown and Nigel Barrage don't want to see happen, so the country have a chance to regain regain some kind of common sense (cos they know they will lose and a second referendum will be organized).

That's why the Tories persist in their stupidity and try to force the Brexit before going to an eventual election.

======================

BTW, are referendums obliged to follow the normal electioral count rules (favouring the smaller counties at the detriment of the bigger counties)?
Oe should they be 1 vote counts for 1 vote and not 1.25 because living in the Lake District or the Welsh hills?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 10:28
It really is an utter mess. I watched the statement by Johnson live this afternoon, and it was rather hilarious when it was interrupted by a defection of a Tory MP whose wife would struggle to name to the Lib Dems.

Johnson was not impressive at all, and achieved the almost impossible feat of making Corbyn look statesmanlike in comparison.

Parliament is quite clearly going to take control of the legislature, and will, in all probability, pass a bill instructing Johnson to seek an extension (again) to Article 50. Equally, he is determined not to do so, and thus will seek an election. My hunch here is that the government will seek to pass a binding motion stating that Johnson, by law, will not move the election date beyond October 31st.

So, another election is now utterly certain. The country is still rent asunder. The election will be simple. Leave or remain. I will not dare to anticipate the result, because, quite simply, anything can, and probably will, happen.

What I will say is this. The lies, incompetence, and simple evasion on both sides of the debate has been disgraceful. I have never known our political system and adherents, rightly, held in such utter contempt.

People who are interested in all of this would do worst as to read Rod Liddle's excellent book, The Great Betrayal. Written from a leave voter perspective, it is nonetheless exceptionally and brilliantly evenhanded when discussing said incompetence and lies.

Where on earth this is headed, the Lord alone knows. I will say this. An election is not going to heal the divisions that the cackhanded and ridiculous referendum launched by Cameron have unleashed. There will be trouble ahead.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 10:41
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Nobody had posted for almost three months, here? Shocked
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

seems like the only sensible solution (IMHO), but one that BoJo The Clown and Nigel Barrage don't want to see happen, so the country have a chance to regain regain some kind of common sense (cos they know they will lose and a second referendum will be organized).

That's why the Tories persist in their stupidity and try to force the Brexit before going to an eventual election.

======================

BTW, are referendums obliged to follow the normal electioral count rules (favouring the smaller counties at the detriment of the bigger counties)?
Oe should they be 1 vote counts for 1 vote and not 1.25 because living in the Lake District or the Welsh hills?

Hugues, the general election, if there is another one, would be held on a constituency basis, as are all elections.

So, I live in the constituency of East Carmarthenshire and Dinefwyr. My vote is equal to all votes cast in that constituency, and the candidate with the most votes gets to be an MP. My vote has no impact upon the votes cast in, say, Birmingham North.

If there is another referendum, which I believe is still unlikely, then it is the total votes cast across the country for remain or leave, or whatever the question is, and a simple majority wins.

I believe it highly unlikely that any future Prime Minister will ever agree to a referendum in the near future on any subject given the mess the last one caused. We are a parliamentary democracy, and with good reason.
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutterAlert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 12:39
where is this going to end up...

before long we could have Boris Johnson hiding in an oak tree in Worcestershire being chased down by Jeremy Corbyn's New Model Army. 

Edited by NutterAlert - September 03 2019 at 12:40
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 02:35
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Hugues, the general election, if there is another one, would be held on a constituency basis, as are all elections.

So, I live in the constituency of East Carmarthenshire and Dinefwyr. My vote is equal to all votes cast in that constituency, and the candidate with the most votes gets to be an MP. My vote has no impact upon the votes cast in, say, Birmingham North.

If there is another referendum, which I believe is still unlikely, then it is the total votes cast across the country for remain or leave, or whatever the question is, and a simple majority wins.

I believe it highly unlikely that any future Prime Minister will ever agree to a referendum in the near future on any subject given the mess the last one caused. We are a parliamentary democracy, and with good reason.

my comment was maybe not reflecting what I meant to say, I'll address this issue I created when I have more time.

As for organizing another referendum , it may seem absurd to you (and probably a majority of UK'ers), but it may be the only solution to end the actual quagmire... If Leave wins again, it will kill the debate... and now that everyone is more aware of the consequences (and not just the immigration issues) if Remain wins (as most everyone feels it will, except for the BoJo-Barrage crowds), it will also cut the debate short
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 22:17
Hi,

I have a feeling that this whole thing is going to come down to folks in Parliament and such just having a drunken argument to show that they deserve to get paid for being rich and being there!

They got to show the public that they are "working" you know?

And us stooges, have to believe it, of course!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 01:14

my comment was maybe not reflecting what I meant to say, I'll address this issue I created when I have more time.

As for organizing another referendum , it may seem absurd to you (and probably a majority of UK'ers), but it may be the only solution to end the actual quagmire... If Leave wins again, it will kill the debate... and now that everyone is more aware of the consequences (and not just the immigration issues) if Remain wins (as most everyone feels it will, except for the BoJo-Barrage crowds), it will also cut the debate short

I too believe UK needs a second referendum. And this isn't even a plea on behalf of Remain. The problem isn't even the Remainers. May had a deal and the ERG wouldn't let it go through. Why? Because the original referendum created a false binary option which didn't exist. There is only one way to Remain but myriad ways to Leave. A referendum clearly identifying different alternatives to leave would at least clarify what the people want. And if the people cannot agree on the shape of Brexit they want, they cannot expect those who don't want to leave to align either. Leave means Leave clearly doesn't work. If it did, UK would have left the EU quite a few months ago.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 06:27
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I too believe UK needs a second referendum. And this isn't even a plea on behalf of Remain. The problem isn't even the Remainers. May had a deal and the ERG wouldn't let it go through. Why? Because the original referendum created a false binary option which didn't exist. There is only one way to Remain but myriad ways to Leave. A referendum clearly identifying different alternatives to leave would at least clarify what the people want. And if the people cannot agree on the shape of Brexit they want, they cannot expect those who don't want to leave to align either. Leave means Leave clearly doesn't work. If it did, UK would have left the EU quite a few months ago.

A second referendum will solve nothing.

I agree with you that the binary choice of "Leave" or "Remain" gave no guidance on what "Leave" meant or how the UK should leave the EU.

However, a referendum with multiple leave choices just won't work.

Suppose we did this and the results were:

Remain:  48%

Leave with the Governments negotiated deal: 17%

Leave with No Deal: 35%

You couldn't possibly conclude from this that the people had voted to "Remain", since overall 52% of voters still selected a leave option.

But neither could you say that there is a mandate for leaving with "No Deal", since only 35% of voters actually voted for that.

So, we would be left exactly where we started, in limbo, with no clear idea how to proceed.

Another referendum is only worthwhile if there has been a DECISIVE shift in public opinion (70/30 one way or the other) and, as far as I can tell, public opinion remains split down the middle on the issue.

And to be clear, a 52/48 victory for "Remain" is not a solution either.
Songs cast a light on you
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 07:37
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

A second referendum will solve nothing.

I agree with you that the binary choice of "Leave" or "Remain" gave no guidance on what "Leave" meant or how the UK should leave the EU.

However, a referendum with multiple leave choices just won't work.

Suppose we did this and the results were:

Remain:  48%

Leave with the Governments negotiated deal: 17%

Leave with No Deal: 35%

You couldn't possibly conclude from this that the people had voted to "Remain", since overall 52% of voters still selected a leave option.

But neither could you say that there is a mandate for leaving with "No Deal", since only 35% of voters actually voted for that.

So, we would be left exactly where we started, in limbo, with no clear idea how to proceed.

Another referendum is only worthwhile if there has been a DECISIVE shift in public opinion (70/30 one way or the other) and, as far as I can tell, public opinion remains split down the middle on the issue.

And to be clear, a 52/48 victory for "Remain" is not a solution either.

I thought about this as I typed that comment too.  My take is a 'hung' referendum would at least open the people's eyes to why Brexit is not turning out to be as simple as those who voted Leave perhaps thought it would be.  Because there is no consensus.  Enforcing any option that does not have the support of a large majority of voters would be inherently undemocratic.  At this juncture, perhaps the equally undemocratic but least destructive of all option of revoking Article 50 would be the best bet.  Revoke it, then hold a fresh election and let either the Tories or the Brexit Party spell out ONE type of Brexit clearly and promise to get it done if they win the election.  That is, no new referendum but a clear mandate for Brexit.  Remember May campaigned for a clear mandate and ended up hurting her majority in Parliament.  The original mess, of course, was created by the man who now blames Leave Campaign managers for lying when he had no business to hold such a messy referendum in the first place. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 08:03
I've seen a poll in the Guardian today for a general election that had Tories at 37% and Brexit Party at 13% (plus UKIP at 1). Seems that no deal doesn't scare off a majority these days. As much as I hate that, it makes me think that Boris will get his general elections maybe with some delay after having delayed Brexit to 31 January by the recently passed law, and then he'll win a majority together with the Brexit party and will get his way. Unhappy There are seemingly enough people who love Boris or Farage so much that food and medicine shortages don't worry them much. Ouch
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 08:20
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I've seen a poll in the Guardian today for a general election that had Tories at 37% and Brexit Party at 13% (plus UKIP at 1). Seems that no deal doesn't scare off a majority these days. As much as I hate that, it makes me think that Boris will get his general elections maybe with some delay after having delayed Brexit to 31 January by the recently passed law, and then he'll win a majority together with the Brexit party and will get his way. Unhappy There are seemingly enough people who love Boris or Farage so much that food and medicine shortages don't worry them much. Ouch

"Would you like to see Britannia rule again, my friend? All you have to do is follow the worms"

It is astonishing to me that in Trump's Build The Wall slogan or the more hateful rhetoric emanating from Leavers, I hear echoes of The Wall.  Nay, the very embodiment of what Pink became when he went crazy.  What was an artist's dark figment of imagination in 1979 is now our lived reality.  And that is scary.  It should make everyone familiar with the album scared.  Doesn't matter what you support or do not support; the very fact that we have lurched into a lemming-like procession to the edge of the cliff egged on by hateful bigotry should make everyone very, very scared.  But it won't.  And democracy gets too close to the edge for comfort. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 08:21
And on that note, I am going to revisit The Wall again.  Been a long time, got burnt out of loving it by overplaying it.  But the essential brilliance of Waters' concept shines bright once more to me as I observe these weird times we live in.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 09:22
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The polls are, I believe, misleading. Not only the fact that they regularly get things wrong (at least the last two elections and the referendum itself), but the electoral landscape is extremely difficult to predict.

There is no doubt amongst any political observers that the Lib Dems will take seats from the Tories in remain voting areas where the thought of Corbyn as PM will cause mass panic. Further, they will also do rather well in their formerly traditional areas such as SW England, Mid Wales, and certain parts of Scotland, where there are strong traditions of Liberalism (although not, note, the metropolitan variety).

The Tories are also, I believe, in for a massive stuffing in Scotland. Nobody should underestimate just how much the likes of Johnson, and his type of Tory, are hated up there. Ruth Davidson detoxified the brand a wee bit, but now she is gone, quite clearly for political as well as family reasons, I reckon up to ten seats will be lost.

So, Johnson will have to hoover up Labour leave voting seats in the Midlands and Oop North. Many commentators and recent interviews with the public would seem to suggest that this may well be the case. I don't think so. There are constituencies up there, alongside the South Wales Valleys, where you could put up a mangy dog with a red rosette for election, and it would get in. A fair few of them may well vote Brexit Party, and Farage, but Conservative? No chance, certainly not in enough numbers. The leave vote will be split, and most of them will remain Labour.

So, I still go by my original thoughts as expressed here. An election will solve absolutely bugger all. We will still have a hung Parliament, and a majority of its members remain, or at least "Soft Brexit", leaning.

I also, in spite of optimistic reports in the papers in recent days suggesting we are close to a deal (which I personally think are a load of cobblers - there is no way the EU will give away too much until it is sure of the volatile political outcomes in the UK), I don't think we will ever leave the EU, certainly not in the form which is beloved by the Brexit ultras.

Ain't going to happen. There are far too many powerful forces against it, and I hope it will be noted that this particular polemic of mine does not make the case either way. An utter mess, for which Cameron and the preceding politicians and overall establishment who created the conditions for the vote in 2016, should be utterly ashamed.

Edited by lazland - September 15 2019 at 09:23
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 09:45
BTW, further to the above post, I might also add that a general election campaign can itself change completely the dynamics as expressed in opinion polls.

In 2017, May had a twenty odd point lead. Then, the Aussie "maestro" Crosby, and her advisers devised an election strategy based entirely around her personality, whilst strangely forgetting that she was utterly devoid of one. Combined with a ridiculous "promise" to take away the homes of those most likely to vote Tory when they ended up ga ga in a nursing home to fund their care lost her a Conservative majority, and ended up with her completely reliant in Parliament on a bunch of swivel eyed loonies in Northern Ireland.

Johnson is brilliant when he is pretending to make an off the cuff speech to his supporters. Good old Boris, with his jokes, turns of phrases, and general patriotic bonhomie. He is distinctly less impressive when subjected to the forensic examination of the likes of Andrew Marr, Andrew Neill, Emma Barnett, and the like. He comes across as being not only defensive, but downright evasive. That is why, btw, his advisers kept him well away from any extended scrutiny in the Conservative leadership campaign. They will be unable to do so in a general election, and I think he will be found out.

In any past period, Labour would be about thirty points clear in the polls by now. It is only because of Corbyn that they are not, but we should not underestimate the Lanour campaigning machine, especially with the yoof.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 11:10
Well, I hope you're right... but...

In any past period, Labour would be about thirty points clear in the polls by now. It is only because of Corbyn that they are not, but we should not underestimate the Lanour campaigning machine, especially with the yoof.

The thing is, they don't seem to have any charismatic leader who can win elections. Corbyn at least is a character. Sure he pissed off lots of people and can be criticised for many things, but still I don't think any other Labour candidate would have done better in the previous election, and I'm not convinced of anyone else for the next. So it's hard to blame Corbyn.

Edited by Lewian - September 16 2019 at 11:11
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:10
I voted for Brexit in 2016 and I'm Still Waiting, to quote Diana Ross. Smile
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 03:47
There must be a few British fathers who wish they'd pulled out in time
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>