Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brexit: A change of heart??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Poll Question: Have you changed your mind either way?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [45.95%]
18 [48.65%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 02:45
So, the "indicative votes" indicated nothing at all, as all options were rejected.

They don't want another referendum, they don't want a general election, they don't want a Norway option, they don't want no deal, they don't want May's deal, and they don't want to revoke Article 50.

Meanwhile the Maybot has offered to send herself to the junkyard, but only if they vote for her deal.

It's one minute to midnight and we're still sat in the Hotel California on mind bending drugs with no idea and no clue and having lost all touch with reality.
Songs cast a light on you
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 03:54
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

So, the "indicative votes" indicated nothing at all, as all options were rejected.

They don't want another referendum, they don't want a general election, they don't want a Norway option, they don't want no deal, they don't want May's deal, and they don't want to revoke Article 50.

Meanwhile the Maybot has offered to send herself to the junkyard, but only if they vote for her deal.

It's one minute to midnight and we're still sat in the Hotel California on mind bending drugs with no idea and no clue and having lost all touch with reality.

How did these folks become politicians without learning how to cut deals and work out compromises? Let this serve also as a wake up call to the millions infatuated with fringe ideologies. Centrism may have got complacent and greedy but it got things done. There's nothing wimpy about consensus. It is a necessary condition for a lawmaking body to retain relevance, else this is what you get.

A more cynical interpretation could be that they have all set up big shorts on the pound which they can't afford to wreck now by passing a deal. So no deal it will have to be.

Edited by rogerthat - March 28 2019 at 04:04
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 08:51
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

May may still get her deal through in the end, which would be quite an achievement... losing her way to victory. Of course the whole thing is a shambles, but if May gets through all this humiliation, and in the end it turns out nobody has a better plan than her, I'll raise my hat to her.

Surely now the lady has overplayed her hand and that was that. Last chance to get this through and for her to turn this mess into a success is gone now.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 10:53

May may still get her deal through in the end, which would be quite an achievement... losing her way to victory. Of course the whole thing is a shambles, but if May gets through all this humiliation, and in the end it turns out nobody has a better plan than her, I'll raise my hat to her.

Surely now the lady has overplayed her hand and that was that. Last chance to get this through and for her to turn this mess into a success is gone now.

Nope. Put your money on her putting the deal to Parliament again next week up against whatever option is chosen on Monday in the indicative votes. In other words, a penalty shootout.

All good fun
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
VicRelayer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VicRelayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 11:42
 I remember the day of the referendum, the slim victory of the Yes. I was doing my suitcase, with the joy of the winners and the sadness of the losers sounding on the TV. 

The next day I went to Birmingham, to see Ritchie Blackmore in his first rock concert in the UK 20 years after. He played Difficult To Cure, and it was maybe the greatest paradox I've ever seen in my life. The EU anthem in Great Britain the day after Brexit started. 

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 07:16
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Put your money on her putting the deal to Parliament again next week up against whatever option is chosen on Monday in the indicative votes. In other words, a penalty shootout.

All good fun

You're right, she may well try again. I don't see her winning though. I don't think she should have tried the third one without having a proper chance of winning. I think it could've been just about tolerated to get this through in the third attempt with all that time pressure and after parliament couldn't find a majority for anything else, however after the third defeat a fourth attempt now looks really ridiculous and everyone who votes for it and hadn't before will look as spineless as a worm. 

PS: I don't think parlamentary rules allow a shootout. You can ask for one thing yes or no, I don't think you can ask for one or another.

Edited by Lewian - March 30 2019 at 07:18
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 08:40
The only consolation is at least we've been saved three terms of David Cameron.
But it has been a bigger mess than James Bond f**king up the entire train network of the country just to stop something that took the car to get there anyway!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 12:59

Put your money on her putting the deal to Parliament again next week up against whatever option is chosen on Monday in the indicative votes. In other words, a penalty shootout.

All good fun

You're right, she may well try again. I don't see her winning though. I don't think she should have tried the third one without having a proper chance of winning. I think it could've been just about tolerated to get this through in the third attempt with all that time pressure and after parliament couldn't find a majority for anything else, however after the third defeat a fourth attempt now looks really ridiculous and everyone who votes for it and hadn't before will look as spineless as a worm. 

PS: I don't think parlamentary rules allow a shootout. You can ask for one thing yes or no, I don't think you can ask for one or another.

It is not quite as simple as you suggest in your last sentence.

Basically, the U.K. does not have a written constitution, so many of the rules are made up as they go along. The unwritten rule for over 100 years is that Government sets the agenda in Parliament. That is why they hate the Letwin process so much of the MPs setting the agenda last week, and this forthcoming week.

The Speaker is the ultimate arbiter of what gets debated and voted upon. Bercow is not well disposed towards either the government or his old party. He was also a keen Remainer, so it is entirely possible that he will continue to insist that May cannot bring the same old deal back for what would be a fourth time now. Equally, Parliamentary procedures are so arcane that it is more likely that Government will find a way around this, and finally bully their lot to support her deal as opposed to the likely soft Brexit, or second referendum, MPs will vote for next week.

Nobody, least of all those in power, have a clue what is going to happen next. Whatever does happen, this farce will dominate our politics for years to come.

My hunch is that Labour may well offer to support May's deal subject to it being put to the people for a confirmatory referendum. The other choice would be remain.

Having said that, my hunch could be absolutely wrong.

Not one of us knows. What a mess.......
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 06:26

[QUOTE=lazland]

Not one of us knows. What a mess.......

Theresa May says the country is fed up and wants this over, but no-one has a clue how to resolve it and parliament is stumped.

For those in the UK, I have a solution:

We should bring back Noel Edmonds with "Deal or No Deal"

Mr Blobby could be the contestant.

We put all the Brexit options into boxes:

Second Referendum
General Election
Norway+
EEA/EFTA
Canada+
Common Market 2.0
Customs Union
Malthouse Compromise
Article 50 Extension
Confirmatory Referendum
No Deal
"Managed" No Deal
Revoke Article 50

and Mr Blobby eliminates options until we're down to the last two

Maybe, in a final twist, the European Banker phones up to offer a swap when we get to the final two boxes.

Prime time TV viewing and all done and dusted in one night.  Simple LOL

You've got to admit it's no worse than the shambles we've got at the moment....
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 06:45
^^^ Yes, that is literally no more ludicrous than what's going on at the moment. In some ways it's actually better, because it eliminates political posturing and puts it all down to chance, so we no one can be accused of playing party politics, or simply being a w&nker.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 02:26
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 04:56
f**k, I thought it was an April Fool's joke, but apparently it's not!!!LOL  

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 09:42
Poll shows Brexit Party has more support than Conservative and Labor combined.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/11/brexit-party-favourite-win-votes-european-elections-says-poll-9500438/
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 10:04
Yeah .... no surprise here, as usual the poll follows the trend that rules the world these days..... polarization is the word! 
*** sigh ****

Edited by Tillerman88 - May 12 2019 at 10:05
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 10:06
The voters are going to give the establishment parties a good hard kicking.

And, frankly, it's nothing less than they deserve.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 16:22
The end of Theresa May and I can only be amazed that she lasted as long as she did

Who's next?  Bojo promising to leave deal or no deal on Halloween?  A kind of scary Halloween clown

The only thing certain is that the Brexit saga still has plenty of mileage yet
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 22:55
I have Brexit Fatigue. The endless arguing, going round in circles and delaying distractions such as the new leadership contest are putting me off watching the TV news altogether in favour of a quick look on the BBC website to see if anything else is actually happening in the world .
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 02:54
I worked as a Poll Clerk last week. Voters mainly older. Could count on one hand how many young people voted. First through the doors were a pair of UKIP supporters who complained about why do you always vote in lead, when there is a sign right behind them with "You can use your favourite pen if you prefer!".
I manage to catch a bit of where some people marked and it was the Brexit Party.
Nigel Farage has dangerous ideas for the NHS so watching people on two crutches voting for them was depressing.
So prepare for a horrible results Sunday. If postal votes are the cavalry then I saw at least three people hand envelopes with their votes in.
See you Sunday night. Very low turnout. If they called the referendum result final, then it would be even more unsafe if it was polled on the turnout of the past EU Elections.
f**k knows what other countries will throw up. Trying not to think about Brexit Party joining forces with others who are far more dangerous.
And of course I'm reminded of that Black Mirror episode with the Teddy Bear CGI avatar who gets pressured to join a new political movement!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 05:00
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I worked as a Poll Clerk last week. Voters mainly older. Could count on one hand how many young people voted. First through the doors were a pair of UKIP supporters who complained about why do you always vote in lead, when there is a sign right behind them with "You can use your favourite pen if you prefer!".
I manage to catch a bit of where some people marked and it was the Brexit Party.
Nigel Farage has dangerous ideas for the NHS so watching people on two crutches voting for them was depressing.
So prepare for a horrible results Sunday. If postal votes are the cavalry then I saw at least three people hand envelopes with their votes in.
See you Sunday night. Very low turnout. If they called the referendum result final, then it would be even more unsafe if it was polled on the turnout of the past EU Elections.
f**k knows what other countries will throw up. Trying not to think about Brexit Party joining forces with others who are far more dangerous.
And of course I'm reminded of that Black Mirror episode with the Teddy Bear CGI avatar who gets pressured to join a new political movement!

What's dangerous about Nigel Farage's ideas?  Please explain.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 06:42
^ It’s the NHS that’s dangerous - feeding the patients chips, biscuits, cakes and mixed drugs then complaining they haven’t got enough resources to cope with the epidemics of diabetes and cancer. I didn’t vote anyway, I decided to contribute to the low turnout figure and the Conservatives, Labour and Liberals were all too embarrassed to put any leaflets through the door.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>