Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brexit: A change of heart??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Poll Question: Have you changed your mind either way?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [45.95%]
18 [48.65%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 19:11
I mean not everything he says is wrong. He's certainly on to something when he talks about a British oligarchy who want to take the UK out of the EU to increase their own wealth and power.

Rupert Murdoch used to control the British press and had the UK government eating out of his hand. He said that when he goes to see UK government ministers they all take notice of him, but he goes to see the EU and they don't listen to him.

People like Murdoch want the UK out of the EU so they can regain control over British policy.
Songs cast a light on you
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 20:05
^ it certainly is an entertaining soap drama from this side of the pond. I honestly don't know what to think either way. It all seems like uncharted territory and i don't think anyone really knows how this will play out. I'm sure there many factions vying to wrest power away from the UK in myriad ways. I suspect Tarpley has a general point that is valid but i thank you for shedding some light on some of his errors and inconsistencies.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 02:55
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

As an American, it seems to me that Brexit was caused by the same nationalist tendencies that our idiot president, the Mango Mussolini, is railing on about, all part of a surge of alt-right partisanship across Europe and the U.S.

To stay or leave the EU seems a no-win situation in either case. On the one hand, I can understand the desire for self-determination, unfettered by what may be construed as foreign interference; on the other, as I said, I am not sure the reason for leaving is altogether healthy, what with the scepter of fascism shadowing much of Europe. I have no solution. I wish you luck.

Self determination is only a good thing, if those doing the 'determining' are making good decisions , in the interests of the country. If they're not, then relinquisihing control is perfectly acceptable IMO..

Of course I over generalise here. What does acting in the best in iterests of the country actually mean? That depends on where you are politically.

In any case, there is this broad misunderstanding of exactly how much control the EU has over the passing of laws in this country. The leave campaign - or elements within it - claimed that over 75% of our laws are passed in Brussels. This turned out, not surprisingly to be bollox. The proportion of laws passed abroad changes depending on who you ask of course, and also how one defines 'laws' Are we talking regulations, guidelines or actual laws, punishiable in a court of law if broken?

Do you think Trump will be sympathetic to British refugees? Maybe only the white ones? Maybe Canada will take our dark skinned refugees.

What a f***ing mess.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 03:30
I think that a lot of the so called "nationalist tendencies" are no more than people concerned about the pace of change in their communities.

Blaming the EU for the change is convenient, if not entirely true, when many other factors are at play, especially globalisation.

Brexit is part of the inevitable backlash against globalisation and the disruption it causes within communities.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 05:26
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

People like Murdoch want the UK out of the EU so they can regain control over British policy.

Correction .... "over British money."

Well one could joke about something else, but it's not worth it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 06:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Correction .... "over British money."

Of course, one inevitably leads to the other
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 22:54
Better the Devil you know. All I can see is total chaos at the moment.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 07:56
Well the remainers must be happy or even a glimmer of hope as a top EU law officer says this can be revoked!

https://news.sky.com/story/top-eu-law-officer-says-uk-can-halt-brexit-by-revoking-article-50-11571293

What a complete shower! It's good that the mask has been tore off to reveal how sh*t and ineffectual UK politicians are (No surprise there) but for the EU to let this drag on and on for years before going "Oh by the way..." is nothing short of toying. Businesses up and left and they kept quiet. Dysfunctional. For those outside the UK and EU, if you were in power would it give you any confidence?
It should have been done by a cross party committee but that's sensible and as you know, that's not how things seem to be done.
Anyway, the "worst economic crash even worse than 2008" is going to happen anyway. And it still won't stop them!
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 15:11
This can is going to get kicked further down the road.  That's obvious now.  No-one can agree what we should do and May's disastrous "deal" is certain to be rejected by Parliament (as it should be)

What happens after that?  No-one wants a "hard Brexit", especially as the UK government has done nothing to prepare for it. 

What about a second referendum?  Surely we can't go back to the people and ask them the same question twice?  What does that say about our democracy?

Is there another option?  Could we join EFTA instead, along with Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland?

The Icelandic minister was very positive about the idea on the BBC's "Newsnight" programme last week, and the suggestion is that the proposal could gain parliamentary support.

Whatever we do we need to break the current impasse.  We can't go on like this.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 03:15

This can is going to get kicked further down the road.  That's obvious now.  No-one can agree what we should do and May's disastrous "deal" is certain to be rejected by Parliament (as it should be)

What happens after that?  No-one wants a "hard Brexit", especially as the UK government has done nothing to prepare for it. 

What about a second referendum?  Surely we can't go back to the people and ask them the same question twice?  What does that say about our democracy?

Is there another option?  Could we join EFTA instead, along with Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland?

The Icelandic minister was very positive about the idea on the BBC's "Newsnight" programme last week, and the suggestion is that the proposal could gain parliamentary support.

Whatever we do we need to break the current impasse.  We can't go on like this.

I agree. We do need to break it.

The Norway/Switzerland arrangement would be rejected though, as it still allows for the free movement of people, and keeping "Johnny Foreigner" out was sadly at the core of the Leave mentality, above all else. A least that's how it seemed to me. It was all about control of borders, and kicking people out so thee would be more 'British jobs for British people' etc etc..
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 05:07
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

"Johnny Foreigner" out was sadly at the core of the Leave mentality, above all else. A least that's how it seemed to me. It was all about control of borders, and kicking people out so thee would be more 'British jobs for British people' etc etc..

Undoubtedly true for some people sadly, but it's also about leaving a corrupt and unnecessarily beaurocratic organisation.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 06:17

The Norway/Switzerland arrangement would be rejected though, as it still allows for the free movement of people, and keeping "Johnny Foreigner" out was sadly at the core of the Leave mentality, above all else. A least that's how it seemed to me. It was all about control of borders, and kicking people out so thee would be more 'British jobs for British people' etc etc..

Certainly immigration was an overriding issue for many voters, but, as far as I can see, we are going to get free movement of people in any case.

The May "deal" ties us into the EU potentially in perpetuity with no say over any regulations and accepting all of the four freedoms, including free movement of people, until such time as the EU agrees that we can get out of it, and how likely are they to do that?

A commentator that I have much respect for, Mervyn King, the ex governor of the Bank of England, has written an excellent article for Bloomberg, which I strongly urge you to read if you haven't read it.

Mervyn King supported Leave, but he is very moderate, level headed and balanced in his views and, for me, he talks a great deal of sense.

Edited by Chaser - December 05 2018 at 10:04
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutterAlert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 06:18
While we stand of the cusp of chaos led by bloody emperors who have no f**king idea what they are doing, history would cross its legs and not let any of this rabble near its skirt, luckily we are missing the real story from COP24 that we are wantonly destroying the environment. When will these morons face the real challenge and work as a team together to deal with the biggest challenge our destructive, selfish, and spiteful little species has wrought on this planet. 
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 09:42
I honestly think that I couldn't give a bu88er about Brexit any more. I'm very tired of hearing about it, to be honest. It's a giant cock up, no matter which way it ends, it'll be an absolute embarrassing disaster. Wake me up when it's over, if it ever is. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 08:28
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I honestly think that I couldn't give a bu88er about Brexit any more. I'm very tired of hearing about it, to be honest. It's a giant cock up, no matter which way it ends, it'll be an absolute embarrassing disaster. Wake me up when it's over, if it ever is. 

The thing that scares me the most is the amount of misinformation going around and then expect people to vote for something they do not know about, or understand.

Interesting comment about RM earlier, and the first thought I had was ... he just wants to monopolize the economy for his own benefit ... not for any worthwhile political reason or idea. And since it is HIS MEDIA, nothing is said or stated that is incorrect, or bad, to make him look weak and not worth the idea ... thus, adding to the confusion of the whole thing.

But, if things continue with folks like RM gaining more and more strength, in the end, the monarchy will be set aside as secondary and its budget cut up, so he can gain more from it all. It will become a different monarchy at that time ... and for crying out loud, maybe that is what we need ... I'm so tired of the other two gaddabouts and their adventures and pictures on the papers! Feels just like the Brexit stuff ... give them those beautiful pictures and they will forget to vote!

Or as a guy that became president in America ... the line that made me quit ... "let them smoke dope, and I will win all the elections!". Same thing here ... giving the public the cheapest dope and make them think it's important and then making changes on the sly that we have no idea what these are all about ... England and many other countries in Europe do not have an "immigration" issue per se, except in a couple of places where Easterners are wanting to get out of the Middle East, which is a serious enough issue ... but towards Western Europe this is less of a problem, though all of a sudden a pocket of some marginal this or that decides they don't want any long eared Venusians around! 

What else is new? Europe killed millions of those for years in the name of a religion alone!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 03:18

Certainly immigration was an overriding issue for many voters, but, as far as I can see, we are going to get free movement of people in any case.

The May "deal" ties us into the EU potentially in perpetuity with no say over any regulations and accepting all of the four freedoms, including free movement of people, until such time as the EU agrees that we can get out of it, and how likely are they to do that?

A commentator that I have much respect for, Mervyn King, the ex governor of the Bank of England, has written an excellent article for Bloomberg, which I strongly urge you to read if you haven't read it.

Mervyn King supported Leave, but he is very moderate, level headed and balanced in his views and, for me, he talks a great deal of sense.

Yes, free movement will continue regardless of what deal we strike (if any) I'm not sure the Brexit brigade have figured this out yet. It'll be funny, a year after Brexit, when hundreds of thousands are still coming into the country, from all over the world, and the Leave brigade start losing their sh*t, big time.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 05:52
Oddly enough, the views heard among Swedes on Brexit are almost 50/50 but in reverse to the result of UK vote, viewed as it is from the perspective of Sweden's EU membership. Calls for Swexit are growing all the time. But polls here show that a referendum on Swexit would give about a 60% win to remain. The strange thing in Sweden is that the most support for a Swexit doesn't come from Socialdemokraterna (Social Democrats - Labour) or Moderaterna (Moderates - Conservative) but from the two main extreme parties the far right Sverigedemokraterna (Swedish Democrats - UKIP ) and Vänster (Communist)   
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 06:26
Thanks LAM-SGC!  It's great to hear the perspective from another European country.

I think we are very much caught up in a Brexit bubble here in the UK and it's nice to break out and get a perspective from outside the bubble every now and then.

The position is not really that different in the UK, in that those politicians who support Brexit tend to be either on the right wing or the left wing of politics.

The right wing dislikes the EU because it reduces national sovereignty, and the left wing dislikes the EU because of the EU's democratic deficit, and, (in the case of Jeremy Corbyn) because of the perception that EU rules would curtail some of his ambitions to nationalise and provide state aid to British industry.

The irony is that the majority of British MP's in parliament are against the UK leaving the EU, but are having to vote against their own judgement because the British people have given them an instruction to leave.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 10:55
In the UK a referendum is an advisory instrument not a legal one, so Cameron was under no obligation to act on the result.  

Edited by LAM-SGC - December 28 2018 at 14:45
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 11:54
You are correct that a referendum is advisory in the UK.

However, whilst Cameron was under no legal requirement to carry out the referendum result, not to do so would have undermined democracy in the UK and lead to very serious consequences, possibly even actual civil war.

The government sent a leaflet to all households during the referendum campaign saying "whatever you decide the government will carry out your wishes"

To then turn around and say that actually what they meant was that they will only carry out the peoples wishes if the people vote the way that the government wants them to would have destroyed credibility in the government and set the government against the people.

You cannot ask the people to choose and then tell the people that the government is overruling their decision.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>