Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brexit: A change of heart??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Poll Question: Have you changed your mind either way?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [45.95%]
18 [48.65%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 12:53
The irony is that before the referendum May was a remainer but Corbyn has always been a leaver.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 16:34
Ok, so the two votes went as expected. Theresa May's deal got hammered and the motion of no confidence in the government was defeated.

So, what next?

I suspect that Theresa May's plan B is plan A. She will keep pushing her deal and parliament will keep rejecting it. Unless the backstop is removed then it has zero chance of being approved.

Meanwhile Jeremy Corbyn will keep proposing no confidence motions in the government and will keep being defeated.

The clock will keep ticking towards no deal, which now looks odds on.
Songs cast a light on you
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 02:34
^^^ I agree. There's no time to come up with something new now. It's taken two years to come up with the no-show she's just presented. In any case, anything she comes up with would be rejected by the opposition and by hardline Brexit tories.

We're leaving with no deal, so we better get used to it, and the EU must be seen to be as unsupportive as possible, othewise it may embolden the Euro skeptic brigades in the other member states. Not sure what the future looks like, but I don't think it would do any harm, or be an over reaction, at this point, to start stocking up on essential items like non perishable foods and basic medical supplies.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 02:51
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

- I never did understand why the UK didn't modify the immigration & integration laws that makes them THE target/paradise for migrants from all over the world to get in there. Modify (as in strengthening the conditions to access benefits) them and this should stop the flood, if it is such an enormous issue

That's a good point; when the EU took on the former communist countries in east (or rather middle) Europe, the UK wanted to be more open and welcoming than anyone else. There was a transitory agreement on not having free movement from day 1, but Blair didn't sign up to that and opened the doors. Very ironical that British people complain about the EU regarding immigration, their issue with EU immigrants is totally home-made.
That said, having been an EU immigrant to the UK myself, obviously I don't think there's even much of an issue to solve - or rather, the problem doesn't outweigh the benefits.

isn't there also a major issue with the fact that ID cards (not speaking of passports) don't exist (or are not mandatory) in the UK, therefore you can claim whatever as long as you're on the territory without showing a piece of ID.

As for the anti-eastern Europeans entering the country (but they're a minority nowadays, as it's mostly African & Asian refugees), wasn't a big part of the Leave votes coming from Commonwealth-countries migrants (Pakistanis or Jamaicans for ex) ??

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Corbyn is entirely typical of his generation of left wing politicians. Very Euro Sceptic and very loathe to alter his opinions.

Actually I can understand this, because if Europe has been busy building the economy, it's not done much on the social dept. the European Parliament and the Council have been mostly liberal (in the economic sense of the word, not in the conservative sense), and nothing was built to avoid states making competitions against other states to attract investors.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 02:57
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^^ I agree. There's no time to come up with something new now. It's taken two years to come up with the no-show she's just presented. In any case, anything she comes up with would be rejected by the opposition and by hardline Brexit tories.

We're leaving with no deal, so we better get used to it, and the EU must be seen to be as unsupportive as possible, othewise it may embolden the Euro skeptic brigades in the other member states. Not sure what the future looks like, but I don't think it would do any harm, or be an over reaction, at this point, to start stocking up on essential items like non perishable foods and basic medical supplies.

There is a third scenario everyone is forgetting about

Deal or no-deal is what everyone is concentrating about...

But I suspect that some are thinking to simply cease that Art 50 bullsh*t stuff (I'm sure it can be done, as an emergency procedure... my money's on it), so that means Remain, until a better deal is done.... which could be years to come
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 03:33

There is a third scenario everyone is forgetting about

Deal or no-deal is what everyone is concentrating about...

But I suspect that some are thinking to simply cease that Art 50 bullsh*t stuff (I'm sure it can be done, as an emergency procedure... my money's on it), so that means Remain, until a better deal is done.... which could be years to come

I actually hope you're right. It is an option, but it would p!ss off so many people, I'm not convinced May would go with it. It would alienate so many tory brexiteers, see her overthrown in favour of someone like Rees Mogg or Boris Johnson, and would embolden UKIP.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 04:15
Yes, I agree with what you say Blacksword.

Pro remainers are trying to get Theresa to rule out no deal.

They know that, if she did that, the only options left on the table would be her deal (which is a non starter) or cancelling article 50 and remaining (which would, of course, result in mayhem in the UK)

Or else another referendum, but May has ruled it out, and polls show only a minority in the UK actually want another referendum.

Whatever MP's say I think a no deal exit looks more likely with every day that passes.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 05:01
I think the UK should join EFTA and EEA, no Irish border, and that could find a cross-party majority if it was just for the benefits of that approach alone. Unfortunately all the "that's not really Brexit and would ignore the will of the people" rhetoric and party political muddle will probably make this impossible. Ask people in Norway why they are in there and not in the EU and you will find that it makes a real difference. As long as people think that any kind of compromise that gives the 48% (and those in the 52% that are not hardliners) even a tiny little bit is a betrayal of the people (what people??), nothing good will happen for the UK. 

Edited by Lewian - January 17 2019 at 05:02
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 06:32

I think the UK should join EFTA and EEA, no Irish border, and that could find a cross-party majority if it was just for the benefits of that approach alone.

The "Norway Model" could win support, but the problem is that we would have to adopt "Norway +", which means staying in the customs union.

That means it's almost the same as staying fully in the EU, but without any say in the rules.  For that reason, Brexiteers would never accept it, and even a lot of remainers are not keen because it's a worse option than we've got now.

The problem with joining EFTA is that the EFTA countries would have to agree to us joining, and, at the moment, they're not too keen:

They're concerned that having the UK in EFTA would upset the whole balance of EFTA, as the UK would dwarf all the other EFTA countries combined.  Any future trade deals would thus be based on the needs of the UK rather than of the other EFTA countries.

They're also worried that the UK would use EFTA as a "stop off" on the way to a full exit of the EU.  They don't want us turning up, buggering up EFTA, and then buggering off out of it.

On the question of the Irish Backstop, I would also recommend reading this interesting article on BBC news yesterday:

I think it reveals what we knew all along:  that the backstop is needed by the EU, but it's not needed to preserve the Good Friday Agreement, as many claim.

There is a solution to the Ireland border issue:  we leave under WTO rules but continue to trade with Ireland on the same basis as we do now and claim a National Security Waiver with the WTO

The EU won't like it as it means a backdoor to cheap foreign imports into the EU, which undermines their protectionist policies, but what can they do about it?

If the EU argues against the National Security Waiver then it will look like they're undermining the Good Friday Agreement and peace in Ireland

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 07:24
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Ok, so the two votes went as expected. Theresa May's deal got hammered and the motion of no confidence in the government was defeated.

I think, and this means I THINK, that the English wanting to get out of the EU is the most selfish and stupid thing going, when considering the "global economy" thing that is helping many countries ... instead of making 20 deals with South American and Central American countries, you make one, and that's that ... it's the same thing with the European Union, and my take on it is that some rich farts are wanting to take this away from the Labor folks so they can make more money, and screw the public.

I find it bizarre that someone is trying to make their own deals, instead of having to go through anything else ... it's another TRUMP'ism all over again, and this has been the history of Europe for hundreds of years, that many principalities and lordships controlled the economy and the money ... and now that they are losing that battle because the population has gotten too much larger than their little hole in the ground ... many of them are trying to fight back with lies, so they can try and gain some measure of control again ... to make even more money! Like they need it!

I know my point is a bit naive, but it's what it looks like to me ... a bunch of rich farts that are losing control of all the riches ... and maybe that is what needs to happen in GB ... not the opposite!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 07:26

They know that, if she did that, the only options left on the table would be her deal (which is a non starter) or cancelling article 50 and remaining (which would, of course, result in mayhem in the UK)

Or else another referendum, but May has ruled it out, and polls show only a minority in the UK actually want another referendum.

Whatever MP's say I think a no deal exit looks more likely with every day that passes.

I don't understand why the No Deal worshippers are doing, though...

Why reject a deal (even not e very good one) with the EU, when No Deal at all can only make matters worse for them...

or are they going to declare economic warfare with the EU once they're out of itand that's why they don't want to sign in obeying the rules of the agreement (provided there are any)

Or are the No Dealers simply blind extremists whose faith can only be detrimental to their own cause ?

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 08:15

I don't understand why the No Deal worshippers are doing, though...

Why reject a deal (even not e very good one) with the EU, when No Deal at all can only make matters worse for them...

or are they going to declare economic warfare with the EU once they're out of itand that's why they don't want to sign in obeying the rules of the agreement (provided there are any)

Or are the No Dealers simply blind extremists whose faith can only be detrimental to their own cause ?

They're either extremists or mindless optimists who don't understand that if you can't trade in a cost effective manner with another nation (or union of nations) businesses go out of business, and countless numbers of people are made unemployed. The unemployed need paying for, but tax revenues which fund welfare diminish because there are millions fewer tax payers and GDP drops considerably, so you have a serious problem on your hands.

Brexiters generally fall into two other categories (generally speaking) The very wealthy who actually aren't really affected significantly if we remain or leave, but want to leave so they can avoid incoming EU legislation on tax avoidance (probably), and the poor who blame EU immigration for their poverty. The latter feel their position is validated, because the former also want to leave, and the latter believe they are 'on their side' when in reality they couldn't give a monkeys about them, and are solely protecting their own interests.

Too harsh??
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 08:41

There is a solution to the Ireland border issue:  we leave under WTO rules but continue to trade with Ireland on the same basis as we do now and claim a National Security Waiver with the WTO

The EU won't like it as it means a backdoor to cheap foreign imports into the EU, which undermines their protectionist policies, but what can they do about it?

If the EU argues against the National Security Waiver then it will look like they're undermining the Good Friday Agreement and peace in Ireland

That seems to ignore that Ireland is a member of the EU and as such bound by EU agreements. And this is not because the EU enforces them on Ireland but because there is no appetite in Ireland to leave the EU and become a UK satellite instead. So I'd be surprised if Ireland would be happy with this "solution" in the first place. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 08:51

That means it's almost the same as staying fully in the EU, but without any say in the rules.  For that reason, Brexiteers would never accept it, and even a lot of remainers are not keen because it's a worse option than we've got now.

The problem with joining EFTA is that the EFTA countries would have to agree to us joining, and, at the moment, they're not too keen:

Around the same time I heard a Norwegian politician interviewed on BBC saying that the Brits would be welcome. Ultimately we can't know. 
"remainers are not keen because it's a worse option than we've got now" - yeah well, that's the nature of compromise that nobody gets what they believe is best. Probably you're right and not enough people on all sides want compromise. Tough luck then.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 08:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I find it bizarre that someone is trying to make their own deals, instead of having to go through anything else ...

That's the essence of the "taking back control" rhetoric... The thing is, people have various ideas connected to this. Some big cheeses think that they can get rid of all kinds of annoying EU rules such as workers protection, environmental regulations etc. whereas some Corbynistas think that it's actually EU regulations that stop them from having the socialism they dream of. The average brexiteer probably has no clue what they'd do with the "control" that they are so keen on "winning back" but that's the smallest problem because these people will not actually control anything anyway.

Edited by Lewian - January 17 2019 at 09:00
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 09:10
Wonder if Pedro is aware that Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden fame is an ardent Brexiteer.  The funny part is we have Fripp on quote saying the very prospect of Brexit has already made touring in the EU difficult for him.  And yet, if you ask Bruce, Brexit is going to help everyone get rid of the horrendous EU  bureaucracy and all that.  And his fans cheer him on for saying so.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 10:45
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Wonder if Pedro is aware that Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden fame is an ardent Brexiteer.  The funny part is we have Fripp on quote saying the very prospect of Brexit has already made touring in the EU difficult for him.  And yet, if you ask Bruce, Brexit is going to help everyone get rid of the horrendous EU  bureaucracy and all that.  And his fans cheer him on for saying so.

I'm not surprised they cheer him. Even amongst ardent Europhiles, there is a (correct) realisation that the EU is not a particularly pleasant organisation, and most certainly not a very democratic one. As with all centralised monoliths, of course.

When on holiday in Gozo last year, I had a very interesting chat with a chap at the local bar we frequent. He said that Malta very gratefully accepts the millions of Euros thrown at them for various projects. Indeed, you see the signs everywhere advertising the Commission's largesse, as with, btw, South Wales. However, he said, he really did not understand the British attitude. Take their money, he said. And when they tell you to do something you don't want to do, be more like us. Tell them to f**k off, and don't take a blind bit of notice.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 12:37
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Take their money, he said. And when they tell you to do something you don't want to do, be more like us. Tell them to f**k off, and don't take a blind bit of notice.

I think you've hit the nail on the head!  This is why the EU just doesn't work.

Europe wide rules and regulations are great, as long as everyone enforces them and abides by them, whereas, in reality, they don't.

The British have always had a strong tradition of respecting rules and regulations, and our government dutifully enacts and enforces them, even though our citizens often resent them.

If you go to Italy, Spain, or France, you soon find out that they don't give two hoots about EU regulations.

Take the Common Fisheries Policy.  It's well known that our government enforces the fishing quotas, and our fishermen are restricted in their catches, whilst, at the same time, Spanish and French trawlers ignore the rules and fish out our waters.

The EU is not a level playing field and I doubt if it ever will be, as only a few countries actually play by the rules.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 15:21

Brexiters generally fall into two other categories (generally speaking) The very wealthy who actually aren't really affected significantly if we remain or leave, but want to leave so they can avoid incoming EU legislation on tax avoidance (probably), and the poor who blame EU immigration for their poverty. The latter feel their position is validated, because the former also want to leave, and the latter believe they are 'on their side' when in reality they couldn't give a monkeys about them, and are solely protecting their own interests.

Too harsh??

What most don't realize is that 45 Billions owed by the UK o the EU (for 10 years for not pitching in the common bucket) that was negociated in the brexit Deal (and reduced down from the 60 billions) are still payable, whether deal or no deal. This could go to trial and of course 60B would be claimed by the EU.

That seems to ignore that Ireland is a member of the EU and as such bound by EU agreements. And this is not because the EU enforces them on Ireland but because there is no appetite in Ireland to leave the EU and become a UK satellite instead. So I'd be surprised if Ireland would be happy with this "solution" in the first place. 

yup, not a chance in hell for that icecube to live more than 2 seconds.

Around the same time I heard a Norwegian politician interviewed on BBC saying that the Brits would be welcome. Ultimately we can't know. 
"remainers are not keen because it's a worse option than we've got now" - yeah well, that's the nature of compromise that nobody gets what they believe is best. Probably you're right and not enough people on all sides want compromise. Tough luck then.

Should that happen, UK in the EFTA (and it's not likely as they would instantly become the majority partner, if only by size, but also by power ... and all the migraines coming from a member with 30 Commonwealth countries in tow), this would be bad news for the EC, as Scotland & Norway are basically the only two big oil producers in Europe.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 04:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>