Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson: Larks' Tongues In Aspic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson: Larks' Tongues In Aspic
    Posted: November 13 2018 at 06:25
A classic. Not too accessible but a classic.

Edited by SteveG - November 13 2018 at 06:30
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 06:30
I agree that its a classic. Disagree that its not accessible. I got into it almost immediately when I first played it many many moons ago
Songs cast a light on you
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 07:21
LTIA is my favorite KC album. Great stuff!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 11:14
This is the point at which I adjusted my expectations of KC albums so that I would be satisfied with 1.5 tracks that I liked.  The half track is "Book of Saturday" and the whole track is "Exiles", even if Wetton's vocals on the latter leave me longing for Gordon Haskell!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 11:44
A classic indeed....my third favorite behind Red  and ITCOTCK.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 14:41
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

A classic indeed....my third favorite behind Red  and ITCOTCK.

I fully agree with what the good doctor says!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 15:08
I was initially very disappointed in Larks Tongues because I'd bought USA first.  The live versions of those songs made the studio album sound really light in comparison.  That said, I quickly learned to appreciate the lighter approach and Jamie Muir-ification of the album with the odd percussion and disembodied voices which appear throughout.  

Not my favourite of the Wetton/Bruford era, but not my least favorite either Wink
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 16:50
This is the album that got my attention from KC.  I had listened to the earlier things and thought they were good but this configuration of the band hooked my immediately.  It helped that I saw them perform most of the album live before I actually heard the album.  I saw KC perform this album at a concert in Central Park NYC.  I went on purpose to see the opening act (who I believe was Buddy Miles). 
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 19:16
EEEEASY MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Dragged down by the stone
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 19:49
My favorite KC album.

Although Starless and Bible Black supersedes it on Tuesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 5 and 11 pm.

Edited by HackettFan - November 13 2018 at 19:56
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 20:10
Er, yeah, what everyone said!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 21:43
Great album indeed, even if I do like most of it better live. Exiles is slightly better (and harder) live (particularly on Collectable Vol 1, CD 2), and Easy Money is much better live (particularly on Collectable Vol 1, CD 1)... though the new versions are really great too. The last two tracks I do like better on their original versions, in great part because of Jamie Muir. And the first one has been the hardest for me to get into... even if the initial riff is great, there's too much jamming within the song... it's not been but until the new version with the added jazzy flute that I really was able to like it.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 22:26
I've always thought this was one of the best prog-rock LPs ever recorded, period.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 01:23
All of KC 69-74 is essential and this one is no exception. Lark's got all everything love about this band in spades - which is why I don't understand why its the one of their seven classics I reach for the rareliest. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 02:42
this one tyook me years to dig... I only liked Exiles at first ... and Talking Book (they're still my faves nowadays)... then one day (mid-to late 80's), it clicked onto on LTIA I & II
Easy Money only clicked in the mid-90's when I finally understood with Muir was doing)... Only Saturday never clicked (when it's supposedly the easiest of all tracks on the album), but it's mostly to do that I'm not a fan of Wetton"s voice

Red, I liked before LTIA, partly because of Fallen Angel and Starless... as for SaBB, I'm still not very keen on the A-side , but the flipside is terrific.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 03:48
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

I agree that its a classic. Disagree that its not accessible. I got into it almost immediately when I first played it many many moons ago
"Not accessible" means that it doesn't appeal to the general public like Yes did with Roundabout. No songs on LTiA would have been hit singles on radio, regardless of how much you or I liked them.

Edited by SteveG - November 14 2018 at 03:51
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 06:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

"Not accessible" means that it doesn't appeal to the general public like Yes did with Roundabout. No songs on LTiA would have been hit singles on radio, regardless of how much you or I liked them.

Fair enough, but I think you could make that comment about any KC album.  I don't think that LTiA is any less accessible than any other of their albums

KC haven't had a hit single ever, and there aren't many prog bands that have.

Roundabout may be an exception, but I wouldn't say that Fragile is an album that the general public would find accessible in a radio friendly sense.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that I don't think that "accessibility" is a criteria that I would use to judge a prog rock album.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 06:23

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Fair enough, but I think you could make that comment about any KC album.  I don't think that LTiA is any less accessible than any other of their albums

KC haven't had a hit single ever, and there aren't many prog bands that have.

Roundabout may be an exception, but I wouldn't say that Fragile is an album that the general public would find accessible in a radio friendly sense.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that I don't think that "accessibility" is a criteria that I would use to judge a prog rock album.
No as there are songs on the debut that are accessible like "Talk To The Wind" or "One More Red Nightmare" from Red that would not be that off putting to those that like classic rock. And I'm not judging, I'm only stating a fact.

Edited by SteveG - November 14 2018 at 06:24
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 06:45
Interesting perception. Can't say I agree but then I think "accessibility" is a bit subjective anyway.

I agree that the two tracks you mention are possibly easier for the general rock fan to get into, but I couldn't see either of these tracks being played on mainstream rock radio. Not in their album form anyway.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 07:21

They're no more mainstream than Roundabout. And accessibility is subjective so I rely on the consensus of the album reviewers like Allmusic. If anyone knows what appeals to classic rockers, they do.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>